Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

khuber84

WKR
Are the barrels Sendero or Sendero light? I’m building a 25 PRC with a proof research carbon with a Sendero taper . Was not sure if I could use low rings with a 50mm objective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 6.5 is a hells canyon heavy hunter which has a muzzle diameter similar to sendero lite. The 25 saum is proof sendero.

BuckSnort

WKR
One of my favorite things most folks take for granted is the horizontal eject trajectory of the tikkas. Even most customs suffer from a high eject angle and if you’re scope is too far forward it dings case necks or worse causes cases to bounce back into the action port.

Mike

My T3 Lite would bounce em off the windage knob and back into the action, had to put high rings on it to work with a SWFA 6X... Our T3X's don't have that issue though.. I think I read that they changed the ejection angle?

My T3 Lite would bounce em off the windage knob and back into the action, had to put high rings on it to work with a SWFA 6X... Our T3X's don't have that issue though.. I think I read that they changed the ejection angle?

No kidding? I've yet to see that problem with two of my T3's. I did just google that optic and that windage turret is pretty dang long! I've ran a bushnell LRTS, Leupold Mk5, Bushnell LRHS, Athlon Midas Tac, and Ares BTR on the T3's without having that issue. I will definitely keep an eye on the future T3 builds to see if they're different!

Mike

BuckSnort

WKR
No kidding? I've yet to see that problem with two of my T3's. I did just google that optic and that windage turret is pretty dang long! I've ran a bushnell LRTS, Leupold Mk5, Bushnell LRHS, Athlon Midas Tac, and Ares BTR on the T3's without having that issue. I will definitely keep an eye on the future T3 builds to see if they're different!

Mike

Yep, they have some turrets on them.. I found video of it, I was worried I wasn't gonna be able to run that scope but the tall rings fixed the problem.. Hope this video link works,,,

khuber84

WKR
Are you using low rings on the 25?

Yes these are low 34mm Hawkins hybrids, the Burris has a 50mm objective. I got rid the hybrids and went with an area 419 pic rail and Hawkins low rings, this setup is actually lower than the hybrids.

Mpmoody15

FNG
This thread has inspired me to work on the T3x in 300wm I picked up last year. I have a Proof prefit steel barrel on order and have already filed down the bolt stop with the hopes of making the 215gr Bergers work. Next up is bottom metal. Leaning towards the Red Snake Tactical with AICS mags unless there is a better idea. I hope to have this rifle put together and load developed before the August black bear hunts. I'm done toting my CTR up those mountains.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
My Tikka is in the middle of a complete overhaul after a disappointing performance last sheep season. Don’t have all the pieces in place yet, but I had enough to take it to the range on my lunch break today and see what I’m working with.

What’s new:
Mesa Precision Altitude stock
Carbon Six prefit barrel, Sendero contour
Muzzle Brakes and More titanium Beast II brake
Lapped bolt lug/receiver fit

What’s old:
Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP (after a failed inspection and rebuild at the mothership)
Warne mountain tech picatinny base
Vortex (Seekins) precision matched rings

What’s pending:
Hawkins Tikka Hybrid rings
Overcome scope trust issues or replace it with ????
Make reloading more complicated.... add FL bushing die, micrometer seating die, brass annealer to process

First 10 rounds down the new barrel with factory ammo and already this gun is shooting better than it ever has in its life.

No pics of the gun, but the target speaks for itself. Second 5-round group on a windy day, shot from front and rear bags on a bench. I see lots of potential here.

With the performance of this factory ammo, I'm optimistic about developing a handload that will fit in the factory magazine and group as well or better. I'd prefer to keep the factory plastic bottom "metal" and magazines for weight and cost savings versus putting in an aftermarket option and steel AICS mags.

10a6d171c77520e1f3d93ae7e6d9d472.jpg

Ditch the vortex. Go with an SWFA SS or a NF. The PST are heavy. You probably lose a bit of weight with an SWFA.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Ditch the vortex. Go with an SWFA SS or a NF. The PST are heavy. You probably lose a bit of weight with an SWFA.
I'm ready for the overwhelming chorus of "ditch the Vortex". My PST is 22 ounces. If someone can show me a mil/mil, FFP, dialable, illuminated (preferably) scope that weighs the same or less, I'm all ears. I'm not married to Vortex, and I'm always looking for other options.

Jon Boy

WKR
What’s pending:
Hawkins Tikka Hybrid rings
Overcome scope trust issues or replace it with ????

10a6d171c77520e1f3d93ae7e6d9d472.jpg

I had a scope fail on me once and a mounting system fail on me once. I went to a NF and then to a mounting system that I can check with out taking the scope off. I now carry a torque wrench in my rifle case and torque the base and rings after every tough hunt. I know that's probably over kill but it really sucks when you're in deep and notice your scope jiggle when you're a short stalk away from a bull elk. Sportsmatch rings is what I went to. Everything is external so you it's a quick check to verify everything is still torqued, confidence remains and away you go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3-15 gains couple ounces:

3-9 loses couple

3-9 has a little thicker reticle which most tend to prefer for hunting.

If you’re set on illum, find a used Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I had a scope fail on me once and a mounting system fail on me once. I went to a NF and then to a mounting system that I can check with out taking the scope off. I now carry a torque wrench in my rifle case and torque the base and rings after every tough hunt. I know that's probably over kill but it really sucks when you're in deep and notice your scope jiggle when you're a short stalk away from a bull elk. Sportsmatch rings is what I went to. Everything is external so you it's a quick check to verify everything is still torqued, confidence remains and away you go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The scope failure was internal. It gave me some hints before the hunt but I was too stupid to listen. 100% my fault.
I don't need access to every screw, but trying to drop some weight and reduce the number of parts/screws in the system is the motivation for the switch from the picatinny base to the hybrid rings. I use paint pen to put witness marks across screw heads, so if it's moved I can see it. The Warne Mountain Tech base and Vortex/Seekins rings have been reliable, I really have no complaints about them other than what's been stated here.

3morefor4

FNG
One of my favorite things most folks take for granted is the horizontal eject trajectory of the tikkas. Even most customs suffer from a high eject angle and if you’re scope is too far forward it dings case necks or worse causes cases to bounce back into the action port.

Mike

This has cost me a follow up shot. I dont take it for granted anymore.

How do you like that bottom metal? Did you end up using any of the shims they provide with their BM or did it fit without?? I need to get one - I have a set-up almost exactly like your rifle except in 7MM-08.

Congrats by the way, looks great.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How do you like that bottom metal? Did you end up using any of the shims they provide with their BM or did it fit without?? I need to get one - I have a set-up almost exactly like your rifle except in 7MM-08.

Congrats by the way, looks great.

I love the bottom metal it fit perfect into the McMillan. Didn’t need any shims at all.

Love the simplicity of the design and fitment was dead on. Nice piece for sure!