Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

Some fantastic builds here. Mine is still pretty close to stock, except for the matthews precision riser, vertical grip, beavertail forend, and limbsaver recoil pad. Rounded it out with a Game Reaper mount, Vortex Razor HD LH 3x15, VTAC hunting sling and some paint. Tikka T3x.jpg

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
260 CTR with a McMillan A3 edge and Mountain Tactical bottom metal for standard magazines. Switching from the CTR bottom metal/mag to the Mt Tactical and factory plastic mag saves just under 7oz. It’s waiting for a LHT 3-15x44. Should come in at 8#10oz(9#8oz with the can). Definitely heavier than my Superlite but it should be a great. Suppressed hunting gun.

A0A1DBAB-5BDB-4EDC-A30A-AED203EEC247.jpeg

Tikka jr

FNG
Mine is in the works so no good pictures yet... it stated it’s life as a 7 Rem Mag...

Rock Creek barrel .277 1-6.5 26”
Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50
Mountain Tactical 20 moa rail
Mountain Tactical bottom metal
Mountain Tactical long action magazine
LRI bolt flute
Karl Kampfeld campfire knob
B&C stock
PT&G recoil lug
This will be a 270wsm throated long for Hammer Hunters 168gr missile...

I can’t wait for it to be done...

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone mount a Leupold Mark 5 3-18 on their Tikka with the 35mm Hawkins rings? Trying to figure out if I can get away with lows or if I should jump up to the highs. 7mag, Proof Sendero non-prefit

Anyone mount a Leupold Mark 5 3-18 on their Tikka with the 35mm Hawkins rings? Trying to figure out if I can get away with lows or if I should jump up to the highs. 7mag, Proof Sendero non-prefit

I have but not with a Proof barrel. I used lows. I did have a 20 MOA rail though so that added some forward tilt. The scope lives on a different rifle now or I could take some measurements. Here’s a picture
97e08285777f983c8cd64ea02e24a947.jpg

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got it back from the gunsmith. Tikka T3X, .30-06. Proof profit barrel. McMillan stock. Weighing almost exactly 7lbs without rings/scope. Should be mounting scope tonight.

On another topic, gunsmith had a hell of a time getting the stock barrel off the action. Said something about how Tikka uses a hydraulic system to torque them together resulting in really high torque values. He ended up scratching the stock barrel pretty
good, which I had planned to sell. Anyone else experienced this?BFEE3D35-2C84-4A4C-AC97-302585759452.jpeg

On another topic, gunsmith had a hell of a time getting the stock barrel off the action. Said something about how Tikka uses a hydraulic system to torque them together resulting in really high torque values. He ended up scratching the stock barrel pretty
good, which I had planned to sell. Anyone else experienced this?View attachment 188018

It took me some trial and error for sure. I don’t know how or why but they are definitely screwed on tight. You probably don’t need to know this, as you’re past this stage, but here’s how I did it for anyone contemplating it:

1. Brownells barrel vice with #9 aluminum bushing. I don’t think #9 was big enough but it wasn’t the issue. Mainly just wanted aluminum between the barrel and the vice

2. Right up next to the action, one wrap of double sided duct tape you use to keep rugs in place on hard floors. One wrap of fine grit sanding belt, GRIT FACING OUT. Then aluminum bushing, then into vice.

3. Make sure the barrel/action junction is in the center of the 4 bolts that secure the top half of the vice. If the barrel/action junction is on the outside of the vice, it will try to spit your barrel out of the vice due to the contour/taper and the barrel will begin to slip/spin. By putting the barrel/action junction in the center of the 4 bolts, it has nowhere to go as it is being squeezed from all directions. Some of the bushing will be outside the vice, and some of your action will be inside the vice (though not clamped because of the clearance created by the bushing)

3A. Make sure the barreled action is rotated such that your action wrench handle will be horizontal. More on this in a bit.

4. Wheeler action wrench on OUTSIDE of action. I bought the #1 (808771). Protect the action with paper or something. Probably need something thicker than tape. Flip the top jaw of the action wrench and now you have a wrench with two flats that interface with any of the two flat surfaces on the action. I had to buy longer bolts at Lowe’s for this to work. Now screw the handle in.

5. I read a lot about rapping the handle with a dead blow hammer and this didn’t work for me. Maybe too much flex in my bench that absorbed the shock. I dunno. So I put all my weight (170 lbs or so), slowly, on the horizontal handle like I was going to do tricep dips and it popped loose. Disassembled and screwed off the rest of the way by hand

KClark

WKR
On another topic, gunsmith had a hell of a time getting the stock barrel off the action. Said something about how Tikka uses a hydraulic system to torque them together resulting in really high torque values. He ended up scratching the stock barrel pretty good, which I had planned to sell. Anyone else experienced this?

Your gunsmith has inadequate equipment or skills. It's not easy but it's not so tough a professional should scuff a barrel. I'm not sure what the older T3s are torqued to but for them I put the barrel in a 6 bolt vise with the proper contour, use an 18" flat jawed receiver wrench and a very small amount of heat (like spit sizzle) on the receiver and they spin right off on the first wack with a 2lb single jack. They don't appear to have thread locker so 500* is not necessary. The newer T3Xs are much easier and come loose at probably less than 100ft lbs.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
Your gunsmith has inadequate equipment or skills. It's not easy but it's not so tough a professional should scuff a barrel. I'm not sure what the older T3s are torqued to but for them I put the barrel in a 6 bolt vise with the proper contour, use an 18" flat jawed receiver wrench and a very small amount of heat (like spit sizzle) on the receiver and they spin right off on the first wack with a 2lb single jack. They don't appear to have thread locker so 500* is not necessary. The newer T3Xs are much easier and come loose at probably less than 100ft lbs.

I was thinking the same thing -- but this being my first use of a gunsmith for custom gun, wasn't sure how to approach it. Shooting the gun for first time tomorrow, so hopefully it shoots. Probably won't be revisiting that gunsmith.

KClark

WKR
The super tight barrel removal is becoming a lost art because sporterizing ex military rifles is not really a thing any more. I wouldn't worry too much about your new Proof barrel not shooting well, that's pretty hard to screw up and your gunsmith obviously has some skills, that Tikka looks pretty good.

16Bore

WKR
Any of you fellas using MDT poly mags? Mine are super tight on my Frankentikka, to the point where the bolt barely opens. What’s the best way for fitting?

Take material off the top of the feed lips? (Poly so won’t matter, there’s plenty of material)

Shorten the latch?

Shorten the mag catch?

F3114CD8-A396-4C63-8210-477CB4094525.jpeg69B58ECA-345F-4265-982D-43B783CE6D08.jpeg9D060BC9-B39F-4EF9-AC62-8B4773047613.jpeg

IMG_20200611_213312_166.jpg
IMG_20200611_213312_180.jpg
I've been watching this thread for months and can finally post My first semi custom tikka build.
Thanks to iceng.au for the gunsmith work!
The specs - 6.5PRC
+ Tikka t3x super varmint donor
+ 26" Medium Hunter from internationalbarrels
+ 3 port custom brake.
+ Lumleyarms carbon fibre and titanium bolt handle
+ highvelocityhuntingau Bottom Metal
+ mountain tactical 20moa rail
+ Vortex Pro series rings
+ Vortex razor LHT 3-15×42 mrad
+ HVHA 1.5lb trigger
+Spiral Fluted Bolt
Comes in at 9lb5oz

Team AllTerra

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey fatbacks - so glad your happy with your Axial Precision stock. It looks great on your rifle. We've been getting a lot of good feedback from a lot of folks. Good luck on your fall hunts.

slick

WKR
[mention]fatbacks [/mention] that stick is perfect . Yowzas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
[mention]fatbacks [/mention] that stick is perfect . Yowzas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR

Juan_ID

WKR
Damn, I like that. What was the turnaround time on the stock? Was it drop-in, or was there some work required to get it inletted appropriately?
Not to answer for fatbacks but when I checked on the axial stocks a month ago they said about 5 week turnaround time. They do come inletted for the tikka but are not drop-in ready, come with pillars but it will need to be bedded and also requires a recoil lug.

Last edited: