• Stock: Manners EH1-A
• Bottom Metal: RedSnake nEXTgen TRG Bottom Metal
• Cerakote: Tungsten (action and stock)
• Scope: Tangent Theta 5-25 with Spuhr one piece mount

316f0e4c-78eb-4531-96b2-0d52afdddb3b.jpeg
That is one sexy rifle!

slowelk

WKR
8.9 pounds. It’s right in that sweet spot of not being overly heavy but, being practical for long range. I’ve considered going to a Leupold VX5 and one piece Hawkins rings/base. That would cut out about one pound.

The Leupold would be a big step down, don't do that. That SHV might be a little chubby, but it makes up for it with reliability.

Nice setup.

8.9 pounds. It’s right in that sweet spot of not being overly heavy but, being practical for long range. I’ve considered going to a Leupold VX5 and one piece Hawkins rings/base. That would cut out about one pound.

Throw the VX5 on there. You won’t regret it one bit. I went from a SHV to the VX5 on my .260 Ackley and the performance between the 2 are equal to me but the weight reduction was significant and worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the advantages to putting a butting a bottom metal on the Tikas? is it enhances how the rifle works or just because its bad ass? Is there any other have to mods in you opinion when upgrading your rifle?

What are the advantages to putting a butting a bottom metal on the Tikas? is it enhances how the rifle works or just because its bad ass? Is there any other have to mods in you opinion when upgrading your rifle?

You can load longer COAL ammo than fits in factory mags, can have higher capacity magazines, and can use existing AI pattern mags if you already have them. With Tikkas, the real benefit for AI style DBM is on the long actions which are very constrained in factory magazines. The short action cartridges can use long action factory pattern magazines if they are constrained by the short action mags.

If you can fit your ammo in a factory or factory pattern (Mountain tactical, HCA, waters) mag I prefer factory or factory pattern bottom metal for hunting rifles. AI or CTR bottom metal would be preferable for a range or varmint gun.

Lawnboi

WKR

It replaces a reliable, smooth feeding, and comfortable carrying system and replaces it with a bulky, clunky, loud and tactical driven option. Some guys do it for more mag space for which the tikka action really can’t accept anyways.

I run AICS mags on my match rifle, which is also a tikka, but can’t wrap my head around using one in a hunting rifle unless absolutely necessary.

It replaces a reliable, smooth feeding, and comfortable carrying system and replaces it with a bulky, clunky, loud and tactical driven option. Some guys do it for more mag space for which the tikka action really can’t accept anyways.

I run AICS mags on my match rifle, which is also a tikka, but can’t wrap my head around using one in a hunting rifle unless absolutely necessary.
When you say 'It replaces a reliable, smooth feeding, and comfortable carrying system" you are talking about factory? And " bulky, clunky, loud and tactical driven option." is aftermarket?

Lawnboi

WKR
When you say 'It replaces a reliable, smooth feeding, and comfortable carrying system" you are talking about factory? And " bulky, clunky, loud and tactical driven option." is aftermarket?
Yes. Not necessarily aftermarket but specifically some of the AICS mag systems.

Aics mags work well with the tikka action, but are my last choice for a hunting rifle.

Norm555

WKR
What about the OEM Mountain Tactical bottom metal. Any advantage over the plastic from Tikka?

I think the mountain tactical bottom metal is a solid upgrade over the plastic. Much better quality than the standard plastic offering. Might not increase accuracy but I would always take a metal piece over plastic.

Antares

WKR
It's aesthetic. You're paying $150 for a bottom metal that's heavier than factory. That said, I have two MT Tikka bottom metals and I like them a lot. If I was doing an ultralight build I'd probably stick with the factory plastic (but I wouldn't like it!).

Jordan86

FNG
The Leupold would be a big step down, don't do that. That SHV might be a little chubby, but it makes up for it with reliability.

Nice setup.
After using the SHV for a season, I have one grip... the reticle. It’s a fantastic reticle for long range shooting when you aren’t rushed. However, it’s not my favorite reticle for shooting on low magnification for quicker shots. The FFP reticle doesn’t show up well on low power and does not aid in quick target acquisition. Practice and training with it have helped me get used to it a bit more but, it’s still not ideal in my opinion.

Jordan86

FNG
Throw the VX5 on there. You won’t regret it one bit. I went from a SHV to the VX5 on my .260 Ackley and the performance between the 2 are equal to me but the weight reduction was significant and worth it.

Good to know! What reticle did you go with?

slowelk

WKR
After using the SHV for a season, I have one grip... the reticle. It’s a fantastic reticle for long range shooting when you aren’t rushed. However, it’s not my favorite reticle for shooting on low magnification for quicker shots. The FFP reticle doesn’t show up well on low power and does not aid in quick target acquisition. Practice and training with it have helped me get used to it a bit more but, it’s still not ideal in my opinion.

I haven't actually used the SHV in FFP, I have three of the 3-10s that are SFP. If it's something you can get used to, I would stick with it. The SHV line is notorious for their ability to return to zero and to hold zero with various impacts. I dented the objective end of the scope after my rifle tipped over in some scree and it held zero, the Leupold would never to that.

Good to know! What reticle did you go with?

I honestly don’t know off the top of my head since I’ve had it for a few years. It has MOA hashes for wind age and elevation and is a fine reticle. I went with the reticle because that package was on sale but I’ve been happy with. I’ve usages the hashes for sizing targets as well and windage holdovers and it’s been perfect.

Kilboars

WKR
I'm trying to buy this T3X TACT A1 from a friend. Newly into long range shooting even though I'm a bowhunter. I know, bad timing:)

I'm just shooting a SIG 300blkout surrpressed and a Rugar 10/22 for now.

Attachments

• Tikka.jpg
    Tikka.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 112