Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

Eric_F

FNG
The opposite of a lightweight hunting rifle, but here is my 6 BRA (6mm BR Norma - Ackley Improved) Tikka. Built for PRS style competitions, 26" Bartlein MTU barrel, Athlon ETR, McRee G10 chassis. Shoots 105 Hybrids at 2920, basically zero recoil.
IMG_20210412_082000~2.jpg
IMG_20210412_081846.jpg

Eric_F

FNG
Nice! How does it feed and where do you stretch that thing out around the TC metro?
I was worried about feeding but it's been great using the MDT BR mags. I'm a member at Gopher in Harris, 1k range and it's open to the public for Tuesday night shoots.

AkRyan

WKR
You're right, it was more the muzzle rise that was off-putting for me. When I would shoot it would feel like the rifle wanted to twist out of my hands. I caught myself with the scope a couple of times. I never put a limbsaver on as my shoulder was fine.
Sounds to me like your not getting enough shoulder pressure when your shooting. Do you use a sling?

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds to me like your not getting enough shoulder pressure when your shooting. Do you use a sling?
You could be right, I would say under normal circumstances I shoot with pretty good form. But sometimes I'm pretty bundled up and maybe not getting the butt of the rifle tight enough to my shoulder.

z987k

WKR
Have you shot it much without a brake? I too have a T3 WSM with a 20" barrel, the previous owner had the factory barrel shortened down. I too like how it handles, easy to carry in my hands most of the day. But I can't use a brake when I'm still hunting and it kicks like... well it kicks.
Go get a suppressor for it. Or wear hearing protection while hunting with the brake on. Hearing protection is not for just the range. Even if it didn't have a break, go get some hearing protection for hunting.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Go get a suppressor for it. Or wear hearing protection while hunting with the brake on. Hearing protection is not for just the range. Even if it didn't have a break, go get some hearing protection for hunting.
We can’t use suppressors in Canada :( maybe I could wear electronic ear protection, but I need to be able to hear everything from my steps to a twig a deer might snap. The sneakiness of still hunting for me requires it.

AkRyan

WKR
We can’t use suppressors in Canada :( maybe I could wear electronic ear protection, but I need to be able to hear everything from my steps to a twig a deer might snap. The sneakiness of still hunting for me requires it.
In the woods guns don't hurt earls like at the range, my guess is you could shoot a deer without any hearing protection and you wouldn't notice a thing unless it very very dense woods with large trees or channels.

AkRyan

WKR
This is false. The permanent damage is done whether you recognize it or not.
True anything over 88db actually damages your ear and that's loud yelling. Go sit on the edge of a field and shoot the rifle and then go sit at a range..there is a big difference. If your only shooting to hunt then put the brake on it and don't look back,

gearguywb

WKR
You really need to try in the ear, electronic hearing protection. You will hear more than you ever thought possible.

I have a custom set I bought a few years ago and love them. Use them hunting as well as at the range.

z987k

WKR
You'll hear more, not less, with the enhancing ear pro.

wyosam

WKR
Holy thread drift. Can we get back to posting Tikka pictures?

22d2209bca36729b24dabb0f98afc322.jpg

I haven’t taken many pictures yet, I’ll try to remember to get some at the range this afternoon. Carbon Six 22” Featherweight 1:8 in 280ai. Mesa Precision Altitude, VX6hd 2-12 in sports match rings. Bolt fluting and Cera coat by LRI (action is coated as well, just very close to stainless color). That scope is for hunting purposes, if I’m stretching it out at the range I’ll use a 3-15 SWFA and gain a few more ounces. More comfortable spinning the dials further and more frequently on the SWFA. This one is a dedicated hunter though, not my first choice cartridge (or barrel) for range play. I did order a steel 6 dasher barrel in the same profile to use on this action for most of the year. Good way to maintain familiarity with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider

I haven’t taken many pictures yet, I’ll try to remember to get some at the range this afternoon. Carbon Six 22” Featherweight 1:8 in 280ai. Mesa Precision Altitude, VX6hd 2-12 in sports match rings. Bolt fluting and Cera coat by LRI (action is coated as well, just very close to stainless color). That scope is for hunting purposes, if I’m stretching it out at the range I’ll use a 3-15 SWFA and gain a few more ounces. More comfortable spinning the dials further and more frequently on the SWFA. This one is a dedicated hunter though, not my first choice cartridge (or barrel) for range play. I did order a steel 6 dasher barrel in the same profile to use on this action for most of the year. Good way to maintain familiarity with it.

Sweet rifle. I've been considering something similar myself in 280 AI, what kind of velocities are you getting? Any regrets with the 22 inch barrel?

Eric_F

FNG

Awesome setup, and crazy light. How are you liking the Carbon6 barrel? I've been planning basically the same setup, though with a 284 Win barrel and likely the Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12.

wyosam

WKR
Sweet rifle. I've been considering something similar myself in 280 AI, what kind of velocities are you getting? Any regrets with the 22 inch barrel?

I’m getting about 3100 with 155 absolute Hammers, 3225 with 140ah. Right around 2900 with 168 noslers. I like the shorter barrel- the hammers let me get a little velocity back. The OAL limitations of the tikka for long action cartridges is probably a bigger deal than the barrel. I’m building a twin to this one in 6.5-284 that will get a 24” tube. That one will have a little more long range potential, though either will shoot well beyond what I will at game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
Awesome setup, and crazy light. How are you liking the Carbon6 barrel? I've been planning basically the same setup, though with a 284 Win barrel and likely the Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12.

I love the carbon six. I honestly wish I had gone with the 284 win with a long throat- I think it makes more sense in the Tikka. It will be a pleasure to carry, and will be good elk medicine for sure. I sent the action and bolt for the 6.5-284 twin to this one to LRI for coating/fluting today. Barrel and stock are probably a couple months out.