Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

Kerbs

FNG
Wind Gypsy is spot on. Weight is the primary driver. But a lot of the newer stocks have higher combs and with a combination of rings that fit the scope, work without needing more riser. But there are a lot of options to adjust if needed. Some of it is preference as well.
As a generalization, adjustable combs add more weight and cost than a cheap pad or homemade riser. Some new options buck that trend with lighter weights. They do look better if that matters.

Time to order my stock. 280ai barrel is inbound, rifle is in the sage.

Rifle will be for hunting the mountains.

I noticed many buy stocks without an adjustable comb, but a few do. Is it mostly a weight savings or are they unnecessary in a mountain rifle?
What’s your plan for the 280ai build? I’m wanting to do the same thing

sndmn11

WKR
Time to order my stock. 280ai barrel is inbound, rifle is in the sage.

Rifle will be for hunting the mountains.

I noticed many buy stocks without an adjustable comb, but a few do. Is it mostly a weight savings or are they unnecessary in a mountain rifle?
I got a grayboe phoenix the other day, it is comfy to shoot, and I'd guess lighter than factory.

Last edited:

Lou400a

Lil-Rokslider
That’s way short, how’s it shoot? What velocities are you getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe for where you hunt. It’s 22” with the can on. Perfect size for where I hunt, tree stand, blind or stalk on the east coast. It’ll do well inside 500 yards or bang steel at distance.

I was hoping for 260/6.5 creed long barrel performance out of this shorty and it looks like it’ll do that burning little extra powder 🤣

I’m still doing load development, but I’m right at 2,800 fps with 124 Hammer Hunter solids

Top center is the same load as top left with the can on so I have a 1 mil shift down and 1/4 right.
Bottom right is right at 2,860 fps, but it’s a pretty hot load.

I’ve got over 3k with Superformance, but it wasn’t as accurate and I couldn't crunch enough H1000 to get above 2,700

E0E2367F-6090-4C5F-8AF0-AAF76F868EA2.jpeg

Maybe for where you hunt. It’s 22” with the can on. Perfect size for where I hunt, tree stand, blind or stalk on the east coast. It’ll do well inside 500 yards or bang steel at distance.

I was hoping for 260/6.5 creed long barrel performance out of this shorty and it looks like it’ll do that burning little extra powder 🤣

I’m still doing load development, but I’m right at 2,800 fps with 124 Hammer Hunter solids

Top center is the same load as top left with the can on so I have a 1 mil shift down and 1/4 right.

I’ve got over 3k with Superformance, but it wasn’t as accurate and I couldn't crunch enough H1000 to get above 2,700

View attachment 338049
I struggled for awhile, but finally got 142gr ABLR and Superformance to work in my 18" Sig Cross. Both those components are known for being finicky and it actually came down to choice in primer that tightened my groups up. Totally worth it for a shorty pushing 142gr at 2650fps.

Lou400a

Lil-Rokslider
I struggled for awhile, but finally got 142gr ABLR and Superformance to work in my 18" Sig Cross. Both those components are known for being finicky and it actually came down to choice in primer that tightened my groups up. Totally worth it for a shorty pushing 142gr at 2650fps.
Did you end up using standard or magnum primers?

Dcrafton

WKR

I was hoping for 260/6.5 creed long barrel performance out of this shorty and it looks like it’ll do that burning little extra powder

View attachment 338049

I wasn’t saying that as a bad thing, I’m just looking at building one with a 22” tube. I was really curious of performance.
Looks cool and sounds awesome.
I’m hoping to get around 3k with 140’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I have seen several of those knobs on the tikkas, what is their purpose over the factory knob? Faster cycling?
Not quite sure yet. People rave about the swept knob so we will see. Iv got a couple other different handles, my favorite so far is still the factory with a CTR plastic ball on it. This sterk handle feels nice though, and the quality blows the mountain tactical handles I have out of the water.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Not quite sure yet. People rave about the swept knob so we will see. Iv got a couple other different handles, my favorite so far is still the factory with a CTR plastic ball on it. This sterk handle feels nice though, and the quality blows the mountain tactical handles I have out of the water.
Gotchya, I too have grown fond of the ctr knob on the factory handle but I don’t have much to compare it to