Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

A positive thing about Tikka‘s if you don’t like the trigger it’s a $15 spring and you can get it down to a pound.
You can get pre-fit barrels for a Tikka action, there’s no way in hell you’re going to get one for a stock Remington 700 action, unless you want a barrel nut. If that’s the case just go buy a savage.
Most tikka’s shoot very well with factory barrels. The easiest way to think about it is a Tikka action is a custom action that just happens to come with a barrel and stock attached.

z987k

WKR
I think it all depends. Used Tikkas are rare as hens teeth these days. Remington is starting to distribute M700 actions once again. Stainless T3X is going for $800...moly is $670 before tax. Nucleus, Tenacity and Origin actions are 900-1000. The nice thing about the T3x action is that you don’t need to do anything with the trigger. Some folks want a different trigger spring for target shooting. The 2lb. stock trigger is good enough for hunting IMO. The newer SS Tikka barrels chambered in .300 win mag with a 1:10” twist or 6.5 PRC that have a medium sporter contour are definitely in demand. If you want a carbon barrel you will need to replace the stock.

The choices for stocks, pre-fit barrels and bottom metal is somewhat limited for the Tikka action in comparison to the M700 base or custom actions. 300 win mag customized somewhat- upgraded:

View attachment 348830View attachment 348831
Ya, but you have to dump a ton of money into a Factory Rem 700 action to make it anywhere near a tikka. And I've yet to see one anywhere but gunbroker. And for more than a whole tikka rifle.

Gila

WKR
A positive thing about Tikka‘s if you don’t like the trigger it’s a $15 spring and you can get it down to a pound.
You can get pre-fit barrels for a Tikka action, there’s no way in hell you’re going to get one for a stock Remington 700 action, unless you want a barrel nut. If that’s the case just go buy a savage.
Most tikka’s shoot very well with factory barrels. The easiest way to think about it is a Tikka action is a custom action that just happens to come with a barrel and stock attached.
Many good barrel makers will install their shouldered barrels on a M700 action. I don't like a barrel nut. I would rather twist on a shouldered pre-fit myself. Every time I look at some some other action, I always go back to the Tikka. Not saying the Tikka action is the best, but the Tikka action will continue to be my choice. I have two Tikkas now and two more builds are in the future. I don't care for carbon barrels myself...I prefer a nice, maybe fluted, stainless.

Gila

WKR
Ya, but you have to dump a ton of money into a Factory Rem 700 action to make it anywhere near a tikka. And I've yet to see one anywhere but gunbroker. And for more than a whole tikka rifle.
Brownells or PTG are a couple of places to get an M700 right now, that I have noticed anyway. Has anyone tried LRI's Tx3 bolt? I like their features.

TheAngler

FNG
This week I received a new carbon fiber McMillan Game Scout inletted for our long action AICS bottom metal for my T3x rechambered to 280a. Using accurate mag 3rd 300 WM magazine and allows an OAL of 3.5” without any mods to action or trigger

View attachment 211024

This McM Game scout with the carbon shell and EDGE fill tips the scales at exactly 32 oz with 3 flush cups, 4” bipod rail, steel recoil lug, and Limbsaver. This is over a half pound lighter than my original fiberglass game scout with reg fill.
Where is the magazine from?

MattiG

FNG
Just finished my first tikka build.

- 300wm
- proof cf prefit
- ultradyne Pegasus brake
- iota Eko stock
- Sierra bdx 6.5-20
- warne rings (med... maybe need large! )

357ac1bbd9296eb230e8521125c5fedc.jpg
55d177ec72f0a027a130c5d3bff3831b.jpg
9a5786b8481291605bfc0154ae2e04f8.jpg
b9d3d9a5974f8a3e1b5431e750f3faa5.jpg
4b602240480af866eb8a7b40e116497f.jpg
231dfe145fde4b7ceb208394b3071ea3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
More mag options. Got my 10 round waters rifleman mag from Australia today. Mags are very impressive. Just what I wanted for dog towns. 2.6” of space. He makes extended mags for all the calibers. Time to run some rounds through to see if they work as well as they look. Feeding clean is very nice and lock up is excellent. Had to give them a bit of sanding as my mcmillan is tight with about every mag, but once seated they don’t move.

4A01D6BE-BD43-4607-B102-C01C3F9CD7C4.jpeg5DA5466A-C502-4C00-897C-A725C8E39989.jpeg

Last edited:

JoeDirt

WKR
Top picture, Sako A7 (lots of similar parts as the Tikkas) 20" Carbon Six 6.5 PRC prefit, Mcmillan stock, DIY kydex cheek riser.

Bottom picture, T3 Tikka, 17" X-Caliber 6.5 creedmoor (barrel nut style), Just bought a MDT chassis for this gun.

IMG_3089.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

slick

WKR
How much overlap is there in the A7 and T3x actions? Are stocks compatible? Or is it more like bolts, rails, etc.?

JoeDirt

WKR
How much overlap is there in the A7 and T3x actions? Are stocks compatible? Or is it more like bolts, rails, etc.?
The only thing ive noticed is the triggers and barrels are interchangeable. I dont think there's much else.

Planning my semi custom Tikka. I have a t3x lite in 7mm-08 that I’m going to cut down to 18” for a suppressor. I figured while the barrel and action are off maybe I’ll cerakote. I’ll most likely sponge paint the stock with greens and browns. Any opinions on a cerakote color?

I just got in my Spuhr SCT-3006A mount and I'm pleased with how it fits. The Hawkins highs I tried were still too low with a carbon6 prefit

Heimdall2

FNG
83B6831F-8BB9-420A-9675-C2F065068569.jpeg
Sorry for the unorthodox post but I mostly use forums for research and ideas and rarely post.

I’m thinking about putting my build up for sale to fund a 6mm PRS build. I don’t have enough posts/comments yet to allow for an add, so I figured I’d give y’all a chance to talk me out of it first while I build up some comments or let me know what you think is a fair asking price.

T3X lite 300wm
Grayboe Phoenix (custom cerakote)
Carbon 6 barrel 24in, 1-10twist, sendero, 3im shank, 5/8x24 thread
Mountain tactical AICS DBM with AICS metal mag
Mountain tactical bolt handle/knob, trigger spring, bolt stop, and recoil lug.
Area 419 hellfire match brake
Talley 20moa rail with bubble level

(Optic, rings, and bipod will not be sold as they will go on my PRS rifle)…short Arca rail for bipod can stay or go for all I care. And the original stock, bottom plastic, mag, and barrel can/will go with it. I was thinking it might sell fairly easily in the $2000-2500 mark with a little over $3k invested (not including items not part of sale)?

*Moderators, please don’t delete as this isn’t intended to be an add, more soliciting advice and a better understanding of the market for those who know it better than me. Thanks!

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 352589
Sorry for the unorthodox post but I mostly use forums for research and ideas and rarely post.

I’m thinking about putting my build up for sale to fund a 6mm PRS build. I don’t have enough posts/comments yet to allow for an add, so I figured I’d give y’all a chance to talk me out of it first while I build up some comments or let me know what you think is a fair asking price.

T3X lite 300wm
Grayboe Phoenix (custom cerakote)
Carbon 6 barrel 24in, 1-10twist, sendero, 3im shank, 5/8x24 thread
Mountain tactical AICS DBM with AICS metal mag
Mountain tactical bolt handle/knob, trigger spring, bolt stop, and recoil lug.
Area 419 hellfire match brake
Talley 20moa rail with bubble level

(Optic, rings, and bipod will not be sold as they will go on my PRS rifle)…short Arca rail for bipod can stay or go for all I care. And the original stock, bottom plastic, mag, and barrel can/will go with it. I was thinking it might sell fairly easily in the $2000-2500 mark with a little over $3k invested (not including items not part of sale)?

*Moderators, please don’t delete as this isn’t intended to be an add, more soliciting advice and a better understanding of the market for those who know it better than me. Thanks!
Why wouldn't you just buy another bolt and spin on a 6mm barrel better suited for PRS competitions? When hunting season rolls in, swap everything back to the 300wm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk