Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

Buzby

WKR
They make steel rifle barrels and the blanks for carbon six carbon barrels. Quite a few prefit options with a fairly extensive library of reamers on hand. I've had a couple with another on the way all have been good shooters.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
They have tikka prefits? Didn’t see them on their site

z987k

WKR
IMG-20220809-WA0002.jpeg

Preferred barrel in 338 Max in a XLR MG 4.0 with folding carbon stock. Sig scope because I had one sitting around, talley 30mm rings. Bushwacker 46 can. Action was from a 300wm, factory trigger.
All up its 8lb 15oz.

If I could find magazine that isn't steel, it could lose a few really easy ounces. Even more with a better scope.

Last edited:

vhr1079

FNG
View attachment 437544

Preferred barrel in 338 Max in a XLR MG 4.0. Sig scope because I had one sitting around. Bushwacker 46 can. Action was from a 300wm, factory trigger.
All up its 8lb 15oz.

If I could find magazine that isn't steel, it could lose a few really easy ounces. Even more with a better scope.
Can you tell me more about the barrel? Profile, length, etc. Thanks!

It's been a great week. I received the approval email from the ATF for the muffler and I got the call from my gunsmith today, who swapped the barrel, made sure that the stock mated up well, and determined the factory bottom metal and magazine will be the better feeding system than a Red Snake bottom metal and a AICS 3.6" magazine.

Mesa Precision Altitude stock
CarbonSix 22" bull barrel in 33 Nosler
AB Raptor 10 baffle suppressor with 3" reflex mount

The bare rifle weight is about 6.9 lbs after switching the stock and barrel.
The total weight with optic, mount, and suppressor comes to 9.7 lbs.

I mounted a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 to it this evening using a pic rail and low rings but it still sits a bit higher than I would prefer. I did try using a low height DMZ game reaper but there is the ever so slightest contact between the objective bell and barrel. Medium height DMZ mount will be arriving in a couple days.

I honestly wasn't expecting the rifle to be ready so I don't have loads worked up for it yet, and it's the wife's birthday weekend . . . so I will try to report back next week with a range report.

IMG_0609.jpg

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
It's been a great week. I received the approval email from the ATF for the muffler and I got the call from my gunsmith today, who swapped the barrel, made sure that the stock mated up well, and determined the factory bottom metal and magazine will be the better feeding system than a Red Snake bottom metal and a AICS 3.6" magazine.

Mesa Precision Altitude stock
CarbonSix 22" bull barrel in 33 Nosler
AB Raptor 10 baffle suppressor with 3" reflex mount

The bare rifle weight is about 6.9 lbs after switching the stock and barrel.
The total weight with optic, mount, and suppressor comes to 9.7 lbs.

I mounted a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 to it this evening using a pic rail and low rings but it still sits a bit higher than I would prefer. I did try using a low height DMZ game reaper but there is the ever so slightest contact between the objective bell and barrel. Medium height DMZ mount will be arriving in a couple days.

I honestly wasn't expecting the rifle to be ready so I don't have loads worked up for it yet, and it's the wife's birthday weekend . . . so I will try to report back next week with a range report.

View attachment 439148
I think we were talking about this time last year, both butting our 338s together. Seems our suppressors both came in close to the same time to.
I'm hoping mine has a moose down in a few weeks. Hopefully yours to!
Though I'm still working on the load.

Dopedude

FNG
90F0AE2B-423F-49AF-A06B-618C31A1017A.jpegProof 6.5prc barrel
Iota exo stock(not recommended!)
LRI fluted bolt
Mountain tactical knob and shroud

woods89

WKR
View attachment 445868
Just some stock mods. Vertical grip, a proper cheek weld, some negative drop at heel on the comb, and raising the butt pad more inline with the recoil impulse.
I'm interested as well if that's a commercially made part that you used to raise the recoil pad or if it's something you fabbed up.
I've got a composite sporter style stock on a non-Tikka rifle that I want to do something similar with this winter. I'd like to raise the recoil pad and add some epoxy to the grip to make it a bit more vertical and add some palm swell.
Your mods look like they add quite a bit of functionality!

Edit to add- I found the Morgan adjustable buttpad setup in an online search and ordered one. For $40 something I'll take a chance. Still curious, though.

Last edited:

Dopedude

FNG
Why do you not like the Iota Exo?

The barrel channel was not straight and was touching in several spots, I had to open it up to work. I sent the first one back and they said they would make me a new one that had the right barrel channel, well several months later they never sent anything and never reached out. I wrote them an email and called with no response, waited a few weeks and called again, this time some lady answered and stated the company had gone through some changes and they would get me out a new stock. Two days later I had another stock and it fit just like the one I originally returned. So I just addressed the issues my self. Not thrilled but it’s whatever at this point. Just might consider manners or McMillan in the future over them.

Buzby

WKR
I'm interested as well if that's a commercially made part that you used to raise the recoil pad or if it's something you fabbed up.
I've got a composite sporter style stock on a non-Tikka rifle that I want to do something similar with this winter. I'd like to raise the recoil pad and add some epoxy to the grip to make it a bit more vertical and add some palm swell.
Your mods look like they add quite a bit of functionality!

Edit to add- I found the Morgan adjustable buttpad setup in an online search and ordered one. For $40 something I'll take a chance. Still curious, though.
It is fabbed up, from 1/8” stainless flat stock. Pretty easy project, if you have access to some basic tooling. That Morgan piece will still have to be hand fit, it will add more length of pull, and I doubt the pad that comes with it is better than the airtech.

Attachments

• 6DA630F8-719A-49E3-BA9F-107C02B5C37D.jpeg
    6DA630F8-719A-49E3-BA9F-107C02B5C37D.jpeg
    540.4 KB · Views: 84
  • F3AA5F21-1BD3-4E8B-9585-F34250A88B52.jpeg
    F3AA5F21-1BD3-4E8B-9585-F34250A88B52.jpeg
    560.5 KB · Views: 82

woods89

WKR
It is fabbed up, from 1/8” stainless flat stock. Pretty easy project, if you have access to some basic tooling. That Morgan piece will still have to be hand fit, it will add more length of pull, and I doubt the pad that comes with it is better than the airtech.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I may or may not use the Morgan. I had wondered if I could just grab a flat sheet of aluminum, rough cut it, and finish it out on a belt sander. It might be just as easy.