Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

SouthPaw

WKR
I have seen multiple people have ND’s when gloves or pack straps hit the trigger with very light triggers, including Yo Dave springs in T3’s. 2.5-3lbs is about the lowest that a field rifle should go, and that’s where a factory T3 trigger will adjust to. If someone can’t shoot a 3lbs trigger on a hunting rifle, they can’t shoot.

For those who will say “I never”, I have seen one negligent discharge from gloves, packs, etc. with factory 3’ish pound triggers, and at least 15 with 2lb and under triggers.
Would those ND's occur mostly when setting up for a shot, or have you seen rifles go off while strapped to packs, in hand etc where the safety got bumped off? Is that 15x ND's just hunting alone or amongst millions of rounds of people practicing? Just genuinely curious on how you see it happen most.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would those ND's occur mostly when setting up for a shot, or have you seen rifles go off while strapped to packs, in hand etc where the safety got bumped off?

Setting up for a shot, or glove catching while rechambering, or on an animal and trying to slide the pack over to clear brush, etc.

Is that 15x ND's just hunting alone or amongst millions of rounds of people practicing? Just genuinely curious on how you see it happen most.

About half hunting and half while practicing.

I’m not saying one can’t hunt with a sub 2lb trigger, I’ve hunted with triggers down to two ounces. It just greatly decreases the margin of error that one has when the weight of a glove can make the rifle fire.

270quest

WKR
I may or may not have already posted this, but this is my workhorse go to rifle...Has killed a lot of critters over the years (Mule Deer, elk, moose, bear, antelope, coyote from 50yards to 468yd cow elk from my son)

Sportsmans superlight 7 rem mag. Matching contour radial brake, trigger set at 2.5pounds, bedded in a sako classic mcmillan stock, aftermarket bolt handle. Pic base, Zeiss Rings, V4 4-16X50. Shoots 150 grain scenars at 3150 fps. Weight 8 pounds 5 OZ with sling and 3 rounds in magazine.

It's a pure killing stick...

First pic of my 280ai which I will pick up tomorrow along with a 7RM.

Built on a SS action from a 6.5CM ultralight.
3lb factory trigger
22" Proof Carbon prefit barrel
Manners EH1-TK Left Handed stock in Black Forest.
Vortex Viper PST Gen ii repurposed from prior rifle.

1664076712810.jpeg

For all you TIkka guys would it hurt anything to put a little JB Weld in the recoil lug cut out before inserting my recoil lug? There appears to be just a little wiggle there.

As far as mags, it really depends on if you handload or not, and in how your barrel is throated and twisted.

The two cartridges listed can benefit greatly from additional COAL and high BC bullets. To accommodate this and not have your Tikka be a single shot, an AICS compatible bottom metal and mags can be used. There are two options: Go with a slightly shorter AICS - 3.5 or so IIRC - that fits a Tikka with no or minimal fitting, or a bottom metal from Atlasworx, MT, etc that allows for full length 3.715 AICS mags - this option requires minor fitting on the trigger group, action bottom, and bolt stop. It will allow a COAL of 3.6", which allows you to run the highest BC bullets without intruding on the powder supply.

Latest update to my tikka game gun. Should have gone this route from the get go.
MDT ACC chassis. Makes me want to order a hnt 26 to try

View attachment 451401
IIRC, you also had a KRG bravo? If so, mind comparing and contrasting the MDT vs. the KRG? I was very torn between the @XLR and the KRG, ended up going with the KRG route due to price point and often find myself wondering if the grass is greener.

Lawnboi

WKR
IIRC, you also had a KRG bravo? If so, mind comparing and contrasting the MDT vs. the KRG? I was very torn between the @XLR and the KRG, ended up going with the KRG route due to price point and often find myself wondering if the grass is greener.
I don’t currently own a bravo, but wish I still did. And the only MDT in my current stable is the ACC, a very different animal to the bravo. I could never hunt with an all metal chassis. I hunt in colder climates and am a rifle in my hands almost all the time kind of guy. I don’t strap my rifle to my pack almost ever unless something is dead, too many missed opportunities cause by straps and slings.

That said after handing the MDT I wouldn’t mind trying a hnt-26. But that’s way down the road, price is a huge factor on that one.

Comparing the ACC to the bravo is apples to oranges. One is a relatively light, budget chassis with minimal adjustments, the other is a heavy competition oriented chassis with adjustment in every direction. On a match gun I’ll take the ACC all day, on a field gun the bravo.

On my hunting rifles I replaced a bravo with a manners EH1, essentially the same form factor of the bravo but I get to use flush tikka mags and don’t have a metal heat sink under all that plastic.

My 2cents having owned too many tikka stocks/chassis is keep the bravo unless you want lighter, or to get away from aics mags. For 400 bucks you won’t beat it though.

That it it depends on how well the bravo grip fits your hand, along with your desired use.

I don’t currently own a bravo, but wish I still did. And the only MDT in my current stable is the ACC, a very different animal to the bravo. I could never hunt with an all metal chassis. I hunt in colder climates and am a rifle in my hands almost all the time kind of guy. I don’t strap my rifle to my pack almost ever unless something is dead, too many missed opportunities cause by straps and slings.

That said after handing the MDT I wouldn’t mind trying a hnt-26. But that’s way down the road, price is a huge factor on that one.

Comparing the ACC to the bravo is apples to oranges. One is a relatively light, budget chassis with minimal adjustments, the other is a heavy competition oriented chassis with adjustment in every direction. On a match gun I’ll take the ACC all day, on a field gun the bravo.

On my hunting rifles I replaced a bravo with a manners EH1, essentially the same form factor of the bravo but I get to use flush tikka mags and don’t have a metal heat sink under all that plastic.

My 2cents having owned too many tikka stocks/chassis is keep the bravo unless you want lighter, or to get away from aics mags. For 400 bucks you won’t beat it though.

That it it depends on how well the bravo grip fits your hand, along with your desired use.
I really appreciate your thorough response. I was mainly wondering about the pistol grip vs. the KRG grip, and should've clarified that. It's a general purpose field rifle. The weight is fine and I find it very shootable, and the AICS mags let me compete in some local PRS matches. I'm going to hold onto it and spend more time shooting and less time wondering. Thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
I really appreciate your thorough response. I was mainly wondering about the pistol grip vs. the KRG grip, and should've clarified that. It's a general purpose field rifle. The weight is fine and I find it very shootable, and the AICS mags let me compete in some local PRS matches. I'm going to hold onto it and spend more time shooting and less time wondering. Thanks!
The vertical pistol style grip is great for supported shooting but dosnt allow as much control over the rifle as a bravo or eh1 style grip; with your hand in a position suitable for shooting off hand or in less supported positions. If that makes sense.

The ACC is shot with my thumb on the thumb shelf, not wrapped. On an eh1 my thumb is behind the safety. Allows for easy operation of the safety and the ability to pinch the gun a bit for more control. Wrapping my thumb around a pistol grip creates a completely different feel than what I’m used to and train.