Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

47EE9FF2-AB93-4FFB-B460-846B55EC82C2.jpeg

After a bit of tinkering with several chamberings, stocks, and barrel profiles I have found the ONE for all of my shooting and hunting needs.

Alterra carbon hunter, short action with factory bottom metal and mags, 26” PBB prefit (sporter #3) in 25 creedmoor, sportsmatch t084, and bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18.

Shooting the Berger 135gr LRHT at 2940 fps. Rifle is handy enough for a 20 yard running neck shot, and stable enough for several kills beyond 600 yards. No brake or suppressor needed to spot impacts..only change coming will be a fresh barrel when this one wears out in a few hundred more rounds.

6704651F-AF24-4ED9-987B-634B4DEFC427.jpeg

I know there are some options to use acis mags and have the action slotted. Can anyone share some details on this procedure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can grab some pics when I get home, but it's not a long or complicated process to get 3.6 out of a Tikka. The basics: AICS bottom metal for 3.715, mill or sand off a few thousands from front of aluminum trigger assembly, install XL bolt stop from MT, cut or file a small notch for the bullet tips in the bottom of action.

IIRC, MT has or had a video on it.

I have a 7mm rem mag so equiped. It might become a PRC if/when the barrel needs replacing. Even with factory mag constraints I wasn't displeased with the Rem Mag performance, but more COAL obviously allows for squeezing the most out of any case.

I'm figuring that if Tikka offers an OEM 7PRC, they'd twist it for heavies, so you'd have it RTG. Similarly, the 7PRC is designed from the outset to make the most out of 175's-180's in a 3.34 mag, so you're not likely going to need/want as much COAL if you have a load that likes whatever freebore they'll have. Most Tikkas I've played with seem to do very well with factory loads.

After messing around with various Tikkas, IMO, depending on what you want for performance and if you're going to handload, short mag derived cartridges have a lot to offer in a Tikka: 6.5 PRC, 7mm SAUM, 300WSM, 338RCM, etc, etc. You get a lot of performance, and with a long action MT Billet or factory mag and a longer bolt stop you can gain all the COAL you'd ever need. While the AICS mags function very well, I do like a factory or MT Billet mag equiped rig better if it's going to get carried around a lot by hand.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
the 7PRC is designed from the outset to make the most out of 175's-180's in a 3.34 mag, so you're not likely going to need/want as much COAL if you have a load that likes whatever freebore they'll have.
Unfortunately, that is not necessarily the case with the 7 PRC. As the load data comes in, looks like 180s when tuned, will exceed the Tikka mag length. Some 175 loads may not fit the Tikka mag either. 175s are borderline when taking barrel differences into consideration. The case is just too long....

Here is some load data provided by Ryan Furman from LongRangeOnly:

1669664397854.jpg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Unfortunately, that is not necessarily the case with the 7 PRC. As the load data comes in, looks like 180s when tuned, will exceed the Tikka mag length. Some 175 loads may not fit the Tikka mag either. 175s are borderline when taking barrel differences into consideration. The case is just too long.…

Most of the “tuned” noise is just that- noise. It’s based on small sample sizes and digressing into irrelevancies for hunting, even long range hunting. Any good barrel will shoot any good load to MOA or so for large shot group sizes. Hit rates in the field on 8” to 12” targets do not increase measurably by going from 1 MOA to .5 MOA- it’s pole vaulting over mouse turds.

I guarantee I can take any decent barrel, send it to Shaen and have it threaded, chambered, and install on a factory a Tikka and shoot just about any 175+ grain load from the magazine and have a legit 900-1,100 yard game rifle.

Unfortunately, that is not necessarily the case with the 7 PRC. As the load data comes in, looks like 180s when tuned, will exceed the Tikka mag length. Some 175 loads may not fit the Tikka mag either. 175s are borderline when taking barrel differences into consideration. The case is just too long....

Here is some load data provided by Ryan Furman from LongRangeOnly:

View attachment 480704
I apologize for not being clear: I didn't mean to imply that those who like to tinker wouldn't care for more COAL than 3.34 on a 7PRS; instead, I was stating that if/when Tikka ever chambers the 7PRC, it'll likely be set up better in OEM guise to shoot 175's than a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag in OEM guise.

Most of the “tuned” noise is just that- noise. It’s based on small sample sizes and digressing into irrelevancies for hunting, even long range hunting. Any good barrel will shoot any good load to MOA or so for large shot group sizes. Hit rates in the field on 8” to 12” targets do not increase measurably by going from 1 MOA to .5 MOA- it’s pole vaulting over mouse turds.

I guarantee I can take any decent barrel, send it to Shaen and have it threaded, chambered, and install on a factory a Tikka and shoot just about any 175+ grain load from the magazine and have a legit 900-1,100 yard game rifle.
Thanks for fleshing out what I was attempting get across.

8 lbs 5 oz unscoped

Haven’t started load dev — will be running Berger 215 and 180 elite hunters.

Barrel break in with factory 180 AB is promising...
5acf7d94-ab24-48f1-a45c-3754b288fe60.jpeg
What cal?

Gila

WKR
I apologize for not being clear: I didn't mean to imply that those who like to tinker wouldn't care for more COAL than 3.34 on a 7PRS; instead, I was stating that if/when Tikka ever chambers the 7PRC, it'll likely be set up better in OEM guise to shoot 175's than a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag in OEM guise.
Oh ok...I understand where you are coming from. I tried AICS....I liked it on the range but couldn’t get used to it hunting. It just didn’t work for me. I was always having issues with the feed lips. When you plop down a hundred bucks for a mag, I would expect the magazine to function, no matter what. I wouldn’t buy a 7 PRC to just shoot 175s anyway. My 300 WM does well with 160-200 gr bullets In the Tikka mag. My 284 win (when finished) will push 180 VLDs just fine and I know with all of the years of reloading data out there that my COAL will be 3.1-3.2.

I can grab some pics when I get home, but it's not a long or complicated process to get 3.6 out of a Tikka. The basics: AICS bottom metal for 3.715, mill or sand off a few thousands from front of aluminum trigger assembly, install XL bolt stop from MT, cut or file a small notch for the bullet tips in the bottom of action.

IIRC, MT has or had a video on it.

I have a 7mm rem mag so equiped. It might become a PRC if/when the barrel needs replacing. Even with factory mag constraints I wasn't displeased with the Rem Mag performance, but more COAL obviously allows for squeezing the most out of any case.

I'm figuring that if Tikka offers an OEM 7PRC, they'd twist it for heavies, so you'd have it RTG. Similarly, the 7PRC is designed from the outset to make the most out of 175's-180's in a 3.34 mag, so you're not likely going to need/want as much COAL if you have a load that likes whatever freebore they'll have. Most Tikkas I've played with seem to do very well with factory loads.

After messing around with various Tikkas, IMO, depending on what you want for performance and if you're going to handload, short mag derived cartridges have a lot to offer in a Tikka: 6.5 PRC, 7mm SAUM, 300WSM, 338RCM, etc, etc. You get a lot of performance, and with a long action MT Billet or factory mag and a longer bolt stop you can gain all the COAL you'd ever need. While the AICS mags function very well, I do like a factory or MT Billet mag equiped rig better if it's going to get carried around a lot by hand.

Top pic is comparison of a trimmed trigger group on top rifle vs an OEM on the bottom.

IMG_20221128_175440.jpg

Next pic is a notched bottom vs standard.

IMG_20221128_175558.jpg

Bottom pic if of the bolt head allowed to go back as far as the rear of the mag well cut out. This is accomplished with a longer bolt stop.

IMG_20221128_175626.jpg

What's the total rifle weight with that prefit #3 contour? (No bipod or sling)
I want to say it’s about 9.5lbs. I’d have to check. The prefit itself weighs exactly what PBB said it would I believe 4lbs. I wouldn’t want it lighter than 9lbs.

Rooggvc

WKR
View attachment 480616

After a bit of tinkering with several chamberings, stocks, and barrel profiles I have found the ONE for all of my shooting and hunting needs.

Alterra carbon hunter, short action with factory bottom metal and mags, 26” PBB prefit (sporter #3) in 25 creedmoor, sportsmatch t084, and bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18.

Shooting the Berger 135gr LRHT at 2940 fps. Rifle is handy enough for a 20 yard running neck shot, and stable enough for several kills beyond 600 yards. No brake or suppressor needed to spot impacts..only change coming will be a fresh barrel when this one wears out in a few hundred more rounds.

View attachment 480617
I have looked hard at the 25 Creedmoor. If Hornady would make a high BC 25 cal bullet, I would be all in.

Are you liking your Preferred Barrel? I am looking at them for a 22 Creed build.

I have looked hard at the 25 Creedmoor. If Hornady would make a high BC 25 cal bullet, I would be all in.

Are you liking your Preferred Barrel? I am looking at them for a 22 Creed build.
I have two in 25 cal. They shoot well enough for the price point (1/2 moa very consistently). Both have been a little on the slow side although I was able to squeeze more velocity on the creedmoor switching powders. I think they are a good barrel for the cost and variety of options. My next barrel is going to be a quality blank chambered by a smith..don’t know if it will be worth double the cost of the prefit. But I’d like to try it.

But not high enough! Would like to see a 130-140 ELDM..although the 135lrht has been excellent for me on 12 or so animals from pronghorn to cow elk, point blank to 670. Admittedly have not tested very low impact velocity but that is beyond my skill level with the chamberings I’ve used it for.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
But not high enough! Would like to see a 130-140 ELDM..although the 135lrht has been excellent for me on 12 or so animals from pronghorn to cow elk, point blank to 670. Admittedly have not tested very low impact velocity but that is beyond my skill level with the chamberings I’ve used it for.

It’s a 134gr ELD-M.