Let’s spend my money...sleeping bag, quilt or??

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all.
I am in the market for a new sleeping bag or quilt and have time to do a little research so that led me here...asking what “you” would do.
I’m 5’10” and 205.

Guidelines for myself are:
1. Lightweight as I spend a good amount of time backpack hunting.
2. moisture resistant: I want to be able to sleep in it for at least 2 weeks without condensation from myself dampening out the insulation where it looses effectiveness.
3. I’ve never used a quilt but am interested. I own a few sleeping pads with insulation.
4. Would be for earlier season. I currently own a 0 degree Stone Glacier Chilkoot for when it’s real cold.
5. I would like to only own 2 bags, so this one would fill the gaps the Chilkoot does not. I don’t plan on camping any colder than I can make the 0 degree work in.
6. $4-550 is my budget.
Thanks in advance!!!

mlgc20

WKR
Check out the Ketabatic Gear quilts. They have a ton of length and width options. Very high quality down. They will even overstuff your quilt. I’ve had one for several years and really regret all the years before I needlessly spent in a sleeping bag. As an active sleeper, the quilt is just so much better. There are some other good quilt companies out there. But, research how they attach to the pad. Again, I think Ketabatic does this the best.

Kifaru 20 degree slick, or if for earlier season only, the Backountry Body Bag. That's a quilt/bag hybrid that is pretty sweet. That insulation is amazing as far as warm when wet, and will never collapse over time if you sleep clothing dry in it or get condensation on the outside from a floorless shelter.

In a backpack hunting situation where there is the chance of a lot of moisture as you stated, i personally wouldn't use anything but a synthetic insulation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am very happy with my EE revelation 20 degree quilt. Tons of options available for a custom make and under $370 for 850 down or $500 for 950. Mine is 23 oz for long length regular width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Split toe

WKR
I have terralite and used it in Colorado in mid September for a backcountry backpack elk hunt where it got down into mid to upper 20s two nights and I slept fine with my base layers on. I could have probably went down another 5-10 degrees with a puffy jacket and pants on.

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Down and moisture don’t mix....backpack hunt I assume no stove to dry out gear, so you may have to go synthetic.
Down is superior for warmth/weight/compression ratio, but downside is moisture is kryptonite
Having a gore Tex bivvy sac helps tremendously for keeping sleeping bags from moisture-if your willing to pay the ounce tax for it...

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
If I got to spend your money I would probably look at one of the hybrid quilts or bags from Nunatak. That would give you the best of both worlds for lightweight and good moisture management

gfreidy

WKR
Enlightened equipment seems to be my sweet spot of performance vs cost. My revelation 10 (old rating - so probably actually 20) is my go to bag. Light and comfortable. If it is cold I add a puffy or a hoody. It is warm I unzip and kick a foot out. Thinking of getting a 50 revelation to layer with it - at 11 ounces can probably get down to below zero.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a UGQ Bandit 10* this Fall. 850 down with 2oz overstuffed. Rained and snowed with temps as low as the 20's. Wore my base layers and a beanie. Slept just fine and moisture wasn't an issue. Double walled 2 person tent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Michael54

WKR
If im spending your money and dont have to listen to my wife i vote for buying both. If im spending my money and i do have to listen to my wife im going bag.

i recently purchased a UGQ bandit quilt used here on Rokslide and used it in wet conditions with my LBO and i used a borax gear bivy,,,last week in idaho down to mid/high teens, its a 10 degree with no extra anything,
i used my z lite pad and slept in boxers , merino socks,with a merino wick long sleeve and a beanie i slept just fine, not cold at all, in fact had to let some heat out,, i sleep warm compared to most though,
i also have a 30-EE quilt. i will say i am very impressed with th UGQ bandit quilt and will be purchasing another for my wife. IMO the finished product of the UGQ is PERFECT. very impressive quality....
the lightweight strap kit that comes with it keep it snug to the pad,(watch their video how to use it)
i really don't know why anyone would want a sleeping bag.. the UGQ quilt fits so well to the pad, i toss and turn as well, no problem for me, also they make a XL bandit that would even be better..very impressive quilts,,and very reasonably priced IMO..im sold on them for sure....

tdot

WKR
I think the best combo is a cold down bag and then a synthetic quilt in the 30 degree range. Quilts are so easy to vent and it's a small weight penalty to go just a bit colder then you think you may need.

Dont forget you'll need a good warm sleeping pad to make the quilt system work. I've settled on something of atleast R5 to R7 for any temp approaching freezing.

I like my MLD Apex quilt, but I got it with the slit that allows it to be worn as a poncho. Only ok as a poncho and I definitely lose heat while sleeping. I'll just wrap a quilt around me if I need to next time. EE Apex quilt is basic and has been pretty good. I have over 100 nights with it and it's still like new... though I baby my sleep gear, not a fan of it failing me due to misuse.

There are so many good quilts out there. Grab one and figure out if you like it. They arent game changers, but they are a really nice improvement over a bag, when conditions are right.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Hey all.
I am in the market for a new sleeping bag or quilt and have time to do a little research so that led me here...asking what “you” would do.
I’m 5’10” and 205.

Guidelines for myself are:
1. Lightweight as I spend a good amount of time backpack hunting.
2. moisture resistant: I want to be able to sleep in it for at least 2 weeks without condensation from myself dampening out the insulation where it looses effectiveness.
3. I’ve never used a quilt but am interested. I own a few sleeping pads with insulation.
4. Would be for earlier season. I currently own a 0 degree Stone Glacier Chilkoot for when it’s real cold.
5. I would like to only own 2 bags, so this one would fill the gaps the Chilkoot does not. I don’t plan on camping any colder than I can make the 0 degree work in.
6. $4-550 is my budget.
Thanks in advance!!!
I've been using the Kifaru Doobie for a few years now and it works great for what you're describing. I'm 5'10" and right around 200-210#. I used it in WA state for a few years, on both sides of the mountains, and it kept me plenty warm when paired with a decent sleeping mat (I used a Thermarest Prolite.) Pretty inexpensive, in the grand scheme of sleeping bags/ quilts, and a really solid buy, in my opinion.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
After talking with the guys at UGQ I went with a Bandit 20 degree. This is my first quilt so will see how this next year goes.
thanks for all the info everyone chimes in with!

Interested in hearing your thoughts on your quilt. I ran a EE 20 Revelation quilt for a few years for our MT archery elk but was too cold so I sold it and purchased the Chilkoot 15 for last year and like not being cold. :)