Lets talk 22lr for SD

I must admit I was always a "shot" placement matters kind of guy.

Not anymore

Well I put a 22lr to the head of a goat today. I had literally the barrel 2" from the skull. Just off center like you do a cow.. thing walked off. Put another right next to the eye. Honestly can't remember the 3rd... but it took me running to get the 7mm-08 to get the thing down.

Federal bulk pack 40gr out of a 3" j frame

Take the 22lr pistol off the grizzly gun list.

• Banned
OP
N
not in town, but close enough And didn't want to touch off the big gun.

Looking back, shoulda went through the eyeball first shot.

Either it was a giant cluster fvkk and not a good site.

howl

WKR
lol. Always wondered what those kit guns were supposed to be good for. Recalls the story:

I used to get cabrito (roasted shoulder of kid) at a little hole in the wall Panamanian place. Awesome food. I'm sitting there waiting on mine when a little bit well-to-do couple asks to speak the manager. One of them had found a metal ball in their plate. The elderly owner comes out to apologize. He explained he's not as young as he used to be and can't catch the goats anymore. So he shoots them with a shotgun. He was sorry he didn't get all the buckshot out when dressing the goat.

The couple went into hysterics, got up and left. I did not complain. It's not every night you get dinner AND a show.

Grew up on a Ranch in MT and we used a .22 to put a good # of cows down. My Dad had an older Ruger MK I Pistol and we used CCI HP’s. That’s crazy with the goat - were you using a subsonic load or something? Dang!

Interesting timing. I shot a doe this afternoon and for some reason she did not die quickly. I ended up having to walk up to her and shoot her again. All I had was my rifle, Tikka .308. She was facing away from me so I just held the rifle up one handed,so I could plug one ear, and shot her point blank in the back of the head. My gosh I wish I hadn’t of done that. I felt terrible that she was suffering so I did it all quickly. I guess next time I would heart shoot her for the finisher. Was unfortunate. I know one thing, your old goat wouldn’t have taken a .308 to the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
N
150gr eld-x 7mm-08 did her in.

Thing is I called my mate, he's shot more shit with a 22lr then anyone I know. He's all "yeah mate, good as gold, right between the eyes"

Fail.

Anyways kinda glad it happened. I had the wife use it a few times as a safety precaution while gone.

Not anymore.. bring enough gun.

Goats and sheep with a .22LR to the back of the head below the ear but angled toward the opposite eye. That placement works on antlered animals too, in case you were wondering.

OP
N
That makes sense. From the back I'm sure it's pretty thin skull compared to where I tried

Oh Well lesson learned

Zipped one with a bow today. Much prefer the bow method compared to splattered skull and brain matter.

jolemons

WKR
I've euthanized a lot of cattle with a .22 lr and .22 wmr. Goats and sheep have smaller brain and slightly different placement. In a slaughter house we would knock sheep and goats behind the poll rather than on the forehead. My guess is you got penetration, but incorrect placement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
N
dude I think ur correct. After pulling out a Tahr skull, the brain is a bit further back then I was envisioning

That sucks. Lesson learned.

WKR
Shot two goats with a 22 handgun. They were immediately down and out. Odd.