Dcrafton

WKR
I’ve never annealed my case necks before,
Is it worth the cost of the machine,
What benefits are there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I have always just used a propane soldering torch and a cordless drill. Use a socket or something in the drill that comes up just below the shoulder to keep from getting the case head heated. Spin the case in the drill with socket slowly with just the neck and shoulder in the tip of the flame. If you do it in low light, you can see the neck and shoulder start to turn blue/orange. When that color hits the shoulder dump it into a bucket of water. Annealing will soften up the metal in the neck/shoulder area that gets work hardened from reloading several times. It will keep your case necks from splitting and keep proper tension when seating bullets. It is important not to anneal the case head. It needs to be harder.

robtattoo

WKR
I have always just used a propane soldering torch and a cordless drill. Use a socket or something in the drill that comes up just below the shoulder to keep from getting the case head heated. Spin the case in the drill with socket slowly with just the neck and shoulder in the tip of the flame. If you do it in low light, you can see the neck and shoulder start to turn blue/orange. When that color hits the shoulder dump it into a bucket of water. Annealing will soften up the metal in the neck/shoulder area that gets work hardened from reloading several times. It will keep your case necks from splitting and keep proper tension when seating bullets. It is important not to anneal the case head. It needs to be harder.

Yup, that's how I've always done mine.

Sled

WKR
it goes fast the way that huntin wv described. the machine is great if you are doing huge batches but not necessary for the average reloader.

16Bore

WKR
Candle, hold the brass by the rim and rotate just off the flame. When it’s too hot to hold, your done.

So they say....I did it awhile and never noticed a thing. Then stopped bothering with it.

netman

WKR
I do exactly as Huntin WV. Key is lowlight. You need to see the brass change color.

I do the same thing with a drill and torch In the dark but use a Lee trimmer holder in the drill that holds the case rim.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I do mine with a torch and hold the case in my hand. When they get warm where I am holding they are done and get dipped in water. Annealing really does work to prolong case life and I have seen more consistent groups since I've been doing it. My 300wsm cases need annealed every 3rd firing or so. Its obvious when its time when resizing becomes a struggle.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
I use the machine from Annealeez. I run 3 cases through with tempilaq to get my speed set right and let em rip.

Baron85

WKR
I use the bench source machine. I noticed more consistent groups and easier resizing. To me it is worth it. I started with the hole in your fingers till hot method, then tried the drill and socket, I also tried a baking sheet with water and standing the cases upright to keep the head cool. I finally bought the bench source for the speed and consistency.

My precision rifles I buy 300-500 pieces of brass and load all at once and shoot till it’s almost gone then reload again, so I do pretty big batches at a time.

Vandy321

WKR
I send my cases to a professional. Charges $0.10 per case to deprime, Stainless tumble, and anneal. Worth it to me and he knows his s&$!

Could you post or PM me a contact for that service? That seems well worth it to me.

I've tried the propane torch method, but even in low light, I miss the color change before the case gets too hot to hold...I just seem to get a dark case neck, but never anything that shows a slight glow or color in low light.

Magnett

FNG
I send my cases to a professional. Charges $0.10 per case to deprime, Stainless tumble, and anneal. Worth it to me and he knows his s&$!
Hello Westex, I would be interested in contact information of your professional. I am sorry but, I don't believe I have enough posts to PM you directly. Thank you. Magnett

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend that has an Annealeez and anneals my brass for me. Is there a downside to annealing brass for every reload? does it weaken the brass in anyway?

dbransco

FNG
I believe a machine is very important for more consistent results. Just depends on the accuracy and consistency you are attempting to maintain. If you merely guess you may very well just be wasting your time either under Annealing or over annealing.

tdot

WKR
I picked up the Annie Induction Annealer. Consistent, fast to set up, once I have my settings recorded I just punch them in and go. No variance from a propane bottle running low, or fumes (I have a small reloading room)

Totally worth it to me. I buy 100-200 pieces of high end brass and expect a minimum of 15 reloads from them, probably more. I've lost count on some of the 308 Lapua reloads.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
@Magnett @Vandy321 here is contact info for the guy I use. I also know another guy off of AccurateShooter that lets his child anneal cases for $20 per 100. He obviously supervises her and does all the setup but it teaches her responsibility and hard work. Goodluck

724CABE5-18CB-49B4-B3A4-380D1541AB51.png

I have a friend that has an Annealeez and anneals my brass for me. Is there a downside to annealing brass for every reload? does it weaken the brass in anyway?

As long as you are not over-annealing I.E. over heating or annealing too far down the case towards the case head, there is no downside.

Jon Pynch

FNG
annealing is great. it helps with consistent shoulder bumps and neck tension, and in turn consistent bullet seating I run a giraud and an amp annealer depending on what im working on. You don't need to do it every firing, but i have and it doesn't hurt .

Marble

WKR
I do the torch method described above. If you do it in the dark, it's pretty obvious when it gets to the correct temp range. Goes from an orange to a white color in darkness. I do it before I deprime and resize. Then I tumble, resize, check for trimming and go from there.