Let’s talk about ballistic rangefinders. Sig 2400abs, Leica, g7, bdx and kestrel, what do you run? What do you like?

Blaster01

FNG
Can you guys help me decide between the sig 2400 abs, the Leica 2800.com, the g7, or maybe even a cheaper rangefinder option like the sig bdx with a kestrel? I’m liking the sounds of the 2400abs, but have read that some people can’t get the rangefinder trued to their ballistics. They are saying that the farther the distance they are trying to shoot, the father off their dope output from the sig is from what the actual real world dope is. Also have heard that the 2400 can take some time to acclimate to the air temperature, which could definitely cause problems while hunting. So, with that said, who has real world experience with it? Or any of the others mentioned. And what do you run or what would you run if you could? And why if you have time!

2400 ABS is the single greatest purchase I’ve made for hunting. I’ve seen many one shot kills out to 1125 including two coyotes at 600 and 820 that I NEVER kill without a rangefinder that provides an instant solution.

It can take a while to acclimate with temperature but you can just plug in the temp manually via the app. We use an instant read meat thermometer to get temps and it works great. Lol

OP
B

Blaster01

FNG
I like my G7 a lot... but its HUGE! as far as acclimating, I always carry it on my belt pouch so its very close to the current outside temp.
Yeah I feel like I would mostly carry it on my belt pouch or in the front pocket of my chest pack so I feel like this would almost be a non issue for me. Thanks for the reply to confirm!

Not familiar with the Sig BDX, but I used to have a Bushnell ConX and a Kestrel and I got rid of them both because I didn't care for having two items that needed a bluetooth connection with each other to work worth damn, especially in a hunting situation when things could potentially get rushed. I found myself waiting on a connection, or just punching the range into the kestrel, which was also pretty slow. I have a 2400 abs and love it. My only complaint is its a bit of a pain to change the wind value. I typically shoot anywhere from 300-1000 fairly regularly with good results. I don't have any feedback on truing MV with the rangefinder itself, but after I gathered enough data to punch into the MV table option, I tested it out to 1 mile to see how accurate my data was. Had a 2nd round impact and a 5th round impact out of 5 rounds. I was very pleased for it being my first time shooting that far. Also, as far as the air temp issue, I worried about the same thing, but bought a rangefinder holster for my bino harness so I don't have that issue. I've also messed around with a G7 a time or two and they are very nice. A bit bulky for my liking, but i don't think you'll find many people disappointed with the performance.

OP
B

Blaster01

FNG
2400 ABS is the single greatest purchase I’ve made for hunting. I’ve seen many one shot kills out to 1125 including two coyotes at 600 and 820 that I NEVER kill without a rangefinder that provides an instant solution.

It can take a while to acclimate with temperature but you can just plug in the temp manually via the app. We use an instant read meat thermometer to get temps and it works great. Lol
Glad to hear that! The more and more I think about what to get, the more I lean towards the 2400abs

OP
B

Blaster01

FNG
Not familiar with the Sig BDX, but I used to have a Bushnell ConX and a Kestrel and I got rid of them both because I didn't care for having two items that needed a bluetooth connection with each other to work worth damn, especially in a hunting situation when things could potentially get rushed. I found myself waiting on a connection, or just punching the range into the kestrel, which was also pretty slow. I have a 2400 abs and love it. My only complaint is its a bit of a pain to change the wind value. I typically shoot anywhere from 300-1000 fairly regularly with good results. I don't have any feedback on truing MV with the rangefinder itself, but after I gathered enough data to punch into the MV table option, I tested it out to 1 mile to see how accurate my data was. Had a 2nd round impact and a 5th round impact out of 5 rounds. I was very pleased for it being my first time shooting that far. Also, as far as the air temp issue, I worried about the same thing, but bought a rangefinder holster for my bino harness so I don't have that issue. I've also messed around with a G7 a time or two and they are very nice. A bit bulky for my liking, but i don't think you'll find many people disappointed with the performance.
Yeah I have a buddy who has a g7 and probably the only reason I wouldn’t get one is because of the size. But it sounds like another vote for the abs! What is it with entering the wind values that you don’t like?

Yeah I have a buddy who has a g7 and probably the only reason I wouldn’t get one is because of the size. But it sounds like another vote for the abs! What is it with entering the wind values that you don’t like?

You have to go through a whole menu to get to the wind value, and then it goes from 1 up to 30 or 40 or so and you can only go up, not back down. Its not super quick, and is a lot of button clicking to get a solution. Not really a make or break for me, just something that I like to complain about on the internet.

OP
B

Blaster01

FNG
You have to go through a whole menu to get to the wind value, and then it goes from 1 up to 30 or 40 or so and you can only go up, not back down. Its not super quick, and is a lot of button clicking to get a solution. Not really a make or break for me, just something that I like to complain about on the internet.
Haha copy that. So that’s how you do it in the rangefinder itself I’m guessing? Can you input that stuff in the app on your phone if you have time too?

Haha copy that. So that’s how you do it in the rangefinder itself I’m guessing? Can you input that stuff in the app on your phone if you have time too?
To be honest I've only ever messed with the app to add or delete a bullet profile. I would watch some Youtube videos, and check out some of the features when you get it narrowed down to what one you are most interested in. There are a couple videos out there that go way in depth on setup and operation.

Definitely use the app to change wind value. It’s WAY faster than using the RF itself.

My dad and I each run a 2400 ABS. We shoot a lot but hunting is #1. All over the western part of the US. Temps vary from stupid hot down to well below freezing. We pack them on our chest hooked to the bino harness. Yes the temp reading are off and they don't get "correct" very quickly but what ive found and most I have talked to including some of the most lethal long range guys i know is it really hasnt made I difference. The temp variance hasnt change the DOPE all that much. It kicked out alot of perfect 1 shot bang flop numbers this year for us. I'm very happy with the sig 2400 ABS. I also have a kestrel elite and pretty much every top ballistic APP. I'm OCD and have compared numbers a ton as I stress over that stuff. Dont have much experience with the G7 or leica...

ericF

WKR
I have the Sig 2400bdx and the Kestrel Elite. I like the separate components versus 1 unit. I have found myself playing more with the Kestrel as a standalone unit than as a synced bluetooth only unit. A couple use cases for me where this last year when I was on a guided hunt. The guide was doing the ranging and giving me updated numbers. With the setup, I wasn't using my rangefinder, but I still had accurate shot solutions. Another use was when I was doing some long range shooting. I went to a dedicated range that had known distance targets out to 1000. I could easily bounce around between ranges just updating the Kestrel without having to deal with ranging each specific target that I wanted to shoot for an updated solution. I also found the standalone Kestrel easier to bounce between guns on the Kestrel itself without having to sync up the phone. So many people like the all in one use and I understand why, but my use model has tended towards separate components.