Let’s talk about Gloves

Rwolf

FNG
What gloves do y’all recommend for cold weather (20-40f) for a back country Alaska type hunt. Preferably something at least water resistant that won’t break the bank. I’m not brand loyal.

Wapiti151

WKR
My hands run super cold and I’ve been trying to find the right combo for years. Last year during late season Blacktail in the PWS I found the sweet spot. Used a Sitka core pair as my liner glove, with the Sitka GTX stormfront mitts (think that’s what they are called) with the down insulation. Those things were GOLD. Problem is, I don’t see them in their website anymore. Wonder if they are switching them to aerolite insulation? I only see the fingered version.

Last edited:
OP
Rwolf

Rwolf

FNG
I know quality costs but I hate spending big $ on gloves that I'm pretty hard on or that I might lose. Hopefully I can find a quality cheaper brand than the Sitka gloves. I run Sitka and Kuiu other gear.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Go and try on a bunch, fit is the most important aspect. 20-40F isn't all that cold, so don't get too hung up on insulation.

I've had dozens of different gloves in the last 30 years, and my favorites have almost always been some cheap pair that happened to fit me perfectly.

SKRE Deadfall, they are essentially a Sitka mountain glove or so close I could barely tell the difference and the SKRE XXL fits better than Sitka XL for me.
I’ve used mine for 4 years I believe possibly 3 and they work well. Might be a little chilly at 20 and either need to be moving or go in a picket occasionally.
I believe they are $50ish full price, but I wait for sales and get them for $25

OP
Rwolf

Rwolf

FNG
I'll definitely look into those at that price. Where do you find them on sale?

jd1006

WKR
I’m underwhelmed by the performance of expensive gloves. I have fingerless wool, light wool liner, glassing down mitt, and a pair of mechanics gloves for when I’m moving through brush. Any time I try to add a ”tech-laden” glove, it just fails due to the lack of durability. Leather-gloves get too hot on the move.

Foxsoup

FNG
Mechanix gloves have a skin tight leather glove that will allow you to keep a good deal of dexterity, there are sub 40$ and will keep any metal parts from nipping at your fingys. If you need more warmth, running thin gloves and a muff gives you the best of both worlds. Over all the best thing you can do to keep your hands warm to keep your core warm. If your core is warm your feet and hands will mostly stay warm with minimal insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Wearing nitrile gloves as a liner makes a huge difference if/when your gloves get wet. I find they keep my hands much warmer even when not wet. Cheap, light and easy way to add degrees. Old bike racing trick

When you say break the bank what's your price?

I look at my kuiu Yukon's vs say a pair of sitka stormfront gloves and think their a bargain.

That said I've best the hell out of my Yukon gloves the past few fall/winter/springs on a weekly basis and their holding up fine. Just enough insulation for the temps you say imo.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Rizzy

WKR
I use various combos of a 3 glove system. Mechanix gloves, a merino liner glove (either thin or thick military type pending weather), and Kryptek bora overmit.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on the style of hunting you're doing. Constantly moving through brush, in and out of water or boats, I like my Kuiu Yukons for a do it all cold and wet weather glove that I expect to wear all day. Spot and stalk where you're stationary for long periods? Get a down glassing mitt and back it up with a lightweight shooter glove for hand protection.