Lets talk about insoles

Some of you here may have seen a few posts from me about boots and my saga of getting the right one. I'm happy to report that I finally found my boot, the Crispi Nevada. Its darn near perfect with one exception. I think I may have a little bit too much volume in the boot. I wore them on a turkey hunt, right out of the box with original insoles in and they just suck. I was getting bad hot spots on both heels. To try something, I took a factory insole out of another boot and put it over the factory crispis. Perfect. No heal slip, and feet feel well locked into the boot now. First mountain boot I ever owned so its been a pleasure to wear these this week turkey hunting now. I told my buddy I feel like a race car in these things. haha. Im still playing with lacing tightness as sometimes I go nuts and crank them down too tight over the top of my feet and other times too loose. But otherwise, they're going to be good to go once I get the right insole.

So my question is, for a thicker insole, does anyone have any suggestions? My feet like padding. I was looking at the Sole Cork thick insole, but am open to anything. I may actually get a pair of cheap Dr. Scholls, as many suggested, for the money, to give it a try.

Anyway, just curious on options.

Poser

WKR
The Superfeet winter insoles with a wool liner are pretty thick and soak up a good bit of volume. I can’t use them in my hiking boots for that reason, but they work great in my snowboard boots.

wyodan

WKR
I recently went to Cadence insoles from the DFP brand. Both of those have served me very well, I like them much better than some of the name brands, and they have a much lower cost.

mlgc20

WKR
In general I run Superfeet insoles in most of my footwear. But, I did get a pair of the Powerstep Memory Foam insoles. Tons of padding. Almost too much. They are like walking on a memory foam mattress. But, if you have the volume in the shoe and like the padded feel, these are pretty hard to beat.

OP
M
Thanks guys. I like padding, but I don't like spongy. Kind of why I was leaning toward a cork based insole and it "sounds" like it would be somewhere in the middle. My cousin swears by cork for his feet.

I know this is all really subjective and everyone has a different taste/requirement. I was thinking of trying the "cheap" route first and if my feet like them i'll be good go. I often wonder if the more expensive inserts are supposed to last longer or not.

Jbxl20

WKR
I’ve been using these reed gel coosh insoles. My local farm supply stocks them for around $12. Really helped reduce the room in the toe box on my Salomon gtx’s

Attachments

• EE3467F1-E1CE-493C-A604-6356BB6BE6CC.jpeg
    EE3467F1-E1CE-493C-A604-6356BB6BE6CC.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 51
  • C8F06755-A1E1-40CF-A7C2-4911F32C33B8.jpeg
    C8F06755-A1E1-40CF-A7C2-4911F32C33B8.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 52

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
I had some FSA that was burning a hole in my pocket. Went the Sheepfeet route and have been very pleased. Had them cut to size at the factor by sending a tracing of my Crispi Colorado's and they slipped right in and didn't require any break in for me.

Liked them so much, ordered a pair for my winter boots.

wapitibob

WKR
The DR Scholls athletic gel from walmart were a larger volume than my superfeet or Sole brands that I used to use. They are the 2nd best insole I have used next to the lathrop gels.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They are the 2nd best insole I have used next to the lathrop gels.
I didn't like the Lathrop gels. They made my feet hot, and slid around inside my boots while my feet were on them. They sent me a replacement because apparently they had a bad batch, but the new ones did the same thing. So I've been using Superfeet Orange in all my boots ever since........10 years now without any issues.

the superfeet copper have worked great for me.. I put a new pair in with every boot I buy.

I dont even waste any time trying the factory insoles. just toss em in the garbage.

sheep feet get great reviews but there a little too rich for my blood

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

peterk123

WKR
Superfeet trailblazers will take up volume and have just the right amount of cushion for my feet. I really like them.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Go into a footwear store or a outdoor store w/ your boots and try them on if you can. I love the Sole brand insoles but everybody is different. Sounds like you already know this but you need to find an Insole that not only fits your foot but fits in your boot w/ your foot. I really like the concept of Sole building a thin medium and thick version to take up or add space in your boot.

Vaultman

WKR
Redwing Boots store has a bunch to try. They helped me find one I liked, first time. I've been using them for 3-4 years. I usually replace in late summer to be ready for fall.

Lando

WKR
Check out Powerstep brand insoles. They run about $40 and I like them better than my custom orthotics. You can select the correct ones for your feet on their website.

Teejay

FNG
FP Gamechangers Insoles

Heat moldable insoles that can be remolded/reused. I tried some Sole insoles and just couldn't get the right fit in my Hoffman Explorers. I wish I had tried the FP insoles first.
Time will tell how they'll hold up, but so far I'm impressed. They take up the extra room that the Sole's did but don't hurt my feet after a couple miles of walking.

qwerksc

WKR
Curex insoles, I got em at a running shoe store, the owner swears by em. I had them for the season, put some serious miles on them, $55 no regrets. Super feet suck a big ass.

I agree the OEM insoles in a lot of boots can really blow. But it seems every aftermarket insole is thick and spongy and take up to much space in the boot ruining the fit. I happened into a pair of Kenetrek comfort insoles. They turned out to be the finishing touch to great fitting boots. They suggest, if you need to take up more space in the boot, to add them on top of the existing insoles. I swapped mine out as the slightly extra thickness was all I needed. $20.

BCsteve

WKR
FP Gamechangers Insoles

Heat moldable insoles that can be remolded/reused. I tried some Sole insoles and just couldn't get the right fit in my Hoffman Explorers. I wish I had tried the FP insoles first.
Time will tell how they'll hold up, but so far I'm impressed. They take up the extra room that the Sole's did but don't hurt my feet after a couple miles of walking.
Thinking of giving them a try. Which thickness did you go with, the 7mm they suggest for boots?

I’ve ran superfeet green insoles for years and they have worked great. But this past turn I tried the superfeet run insoles and the are working really well. I think they are the blue model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk