Let's talk cooking stoves...

Kotaman

WKR
After a lifetime of guided hunts, I'm starting to "spread my wings" a little and doing more DIY. I'm in the market for a cooking stove. My dilema right now is canister vs. liquid fueled. Liquid comes into the equation for two reasons. Some of my hunts take place in extremely cold temps and some include a charter services flights that may not allow canisters.

So...From a canister standpoint, is there any reason to NOT just get a Jetboil? Seems to be the standard.

From a liquid fuel standpoint, one that burns AV Gas would be nice as you could fill canisters from the transporters wing after getting dropped in most cases. The liquid stoves I've considered are:

*Soto Muka
*Primus Omnilite
*MSR Dragonfly

I like the way the Soto works, but the other two are probably more "asscessible" for parts/repair and even purchase. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? Am I "on track"?
Lets here some thoughts.

I think your on track with the liquid stove. I have a dragonfly and I really like it. Works well. I think the omnilite is lighter and packs smaller than the dragon fly but it is more expensive too.

i think two stoves is the best way to go, otherwise you will be wanting in the other scenario if youre anything like me. this last year, i was doing a ton of research and comparison on stoves, mostly canister, as thats where i was looking to upgrade. fuel usage, boil times, weight. i had it narrowed down to a few options, then i got a sol ti for my birthday. ha, been very happy with it. i like how simple it is, and the fuel economy on it is insane.
im less informed about the liquid fuel stoves and just use a whisperlite.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I'm leaning now towards a liquid stove that can also do cannisters. Do all three of my choices above do both? From the canister side, I will probably end up with a MSR Pocket Rocket or Jetboil. The PR seems so handy to just always have with.

As far as liquid goes, I just have no idea at this point...

FreeRange

WKR
I started with a pocket rocket and supplemented that with a dragonfly for when it's necessary. Get a spare pump for the dragonfly. Tried a whisperlite international for a few years but found it to be more temperamental, the dragonfly instills more confidence, the thing is like a jet engine! Not a jetboil fan myself as sometimes I actually cook rather than doing boil and bag meals.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
That was my next question/issue. More often than not, I would like to be able to cook on it when no wood is available for a fire. I'm fine with bag meals until some "protien" hits ground, then I wanna eat meat.

AS far as the Jetboil goes, every guide I've EVER had on a mountain hunt has used Jetboil. I tend to gravitate towards gear mountain guides use because it usually works. The 10 times or so I've been around a Jetboil, they have been awesome for boiling water fast for Mountain House. Never seen one cooked on before though...and probably for good reason.

My experience with liquid fuel stoves has been all MSR. Currently have three different models, and have used others. Parts for them can be had almost anywhere, and that might be a consideration if you are a traveling hunter. That's not to knock on the Omnilite at all, because I'm sure it's a well built piece of equipment, but I can't recall the last time I saw an Omnilite Ti on the shelf in Fairbanks. MSR's are everywhere.

If you want one that also burns canister fuel, I suspect the Omnilite is going to a whisker lighter in that configuration than than the MSR Universal, which is the other option I'm aware of that can do that. The Whisperlite Universal will be quieter than either Omnilite or the Dragonfly (roarer burner types), which is nice, but it will not be as easy to cook on (flame control). On the other hand, I've found the roarer burner in my XGK to be less finicky than the whisperlites, so either design has it's perks.

I like the Soto canister stove I have, but the liquid fuel one I looked at appeared WAY over designed and complicated. Zero personal experience, but it just seemed like far, far too many parts and pieces in that pump to make a simple guy like me happy. Stupid simple = better in my mind, and the Primus and MSR make that grade.

Lots of good stoves out there. I've probably used 10 different ones and it's hard to go too wrong with the name brand stuff.

Yk

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Great info YK. So does everyone agree the only MSR that will do both is the MSR Whisperlite Universal? Parts availability is important to me and is defninately a downside with the Soto. In fact, when I watched the video, I thought in order to run the thing, I'd need notes! Price and ease of use is also a "consideration" as this isn't even something I will be using once a year. (a week at a time of course)

Initially, the MSR was my third choice. You may have moved it up to number one for the reasons stated.

wapitibob

WKR
I've used a jetboil for years.
I'm switching to a SOTO Windmaster. Faster, and lighter, by far. Add a jetboil regular or Ti cup, cut to sit on the slits, and it won't get any better for that type of stove.

ChrisS

WKR
As far as I know the Jetboil is great for boiling water. Not sure I'd want to use it for anything other than that. I have a pocketrocket and a small titanium cup I use for that and it's cheaper than the Jetboil. Probably not as efficient, but I'm not out for 10 days at a clip either and I don't need to measure my fuel use to the last bit.

Someone mentioned Kovea up above and they also make the MSR stoves. Their quality is topnotch. I have a Kovea moonwalker which is a remote canister stove. This allows you to invert the canister to pull liquid fuel and use at subzero temperatures. The stove weighs a bit more (11 ounces), but will fold up and fit with a 8 ounce canister inside a 1-liter pot. You can also get a nice handy adapter for this stove that is bombproof and allows you to connect the stove to a 1lb propane canister when weight isn't much of an issue. This is great when I'm simmering foods or otherwise don't want to piss around with a pile of small canisters.

Edited to add: that remote canister stoves also allow you to put a pretty tight windscreen around the stove itself because you don't have to worry about overheating the canister and blowing yourself up.

As far as I know the Jetboil is great for boiling water. Not sure I'd want to use it for anything other than that. I have a pocketrocket and a small titanium cup I use for that and it's cheaper than the Jetboil. Probably not as efficient, but I'm not out for 10 days at a clip either and I don't need to measure my fuel use to the last bit.

Someone mentioned Kovea up above and they also make the MSR stoves. Their quality is topnotch. I have a Kovea moonwalker which is a remote canister stove. This allows you to invert the canister to pull liquid fuel and use at subzero temperatures. The stove weighs a bit more (11 ounces), but will fold up and fit with a 8 ounce canister inside a 1-liter pot. You can also get a nice handy adapter for this stove that is bombproof and allows you to connect the stove to a 1lb propane canister when weight isn't much of an issue. This is great when I'm simmering foods or otherwise don't want to piss around with a pile of small canisters.

Edited to add: that remote canister stoves also allow you to put a pretty tight windscreen around the stove itself because you don't have to worry about overheating the canister and blowing yourself up.

No problem with the Jetboil skillet at elevation here.

View attachment 20331

Initially, the MSR was my third choice. You may have moved it up to number one for the reasons stated.

On last thing you might want to check is relative size. I picked up one of the discontinued MSR Simmerlites off of Ebay this year, specifically because it nests easily inside of a 1.3L Ti pot.

The Whisperlite won't even come close to that, so a separate bag is required. Not sure about the Omnilite, but it seems pretty compact.

Confused yet?

Yk

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Yeah..Thanks alot YK...At least I have "time" on my side as I won't need it until next fall! And one thing is for certain: Whatever I buy, the latest/greatest innovation in pack stoves will come out about 2 weeks after I buy...:eek:

As far as canister. The MSR is hard to beat. I like it better than the jetboil.

That is s good point about the MSR. MSR products are pretty darn common compared to the primus stoves

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
As far as canister. The MSR is hard to beat. I like it better than the jetboil.

That is s good point about the MSR. MSR products are pretty darn common compared to the primus stoves

You're not the first person to tell me that since starting this thread. (That they like the MSR canister stove better than the Jetboil)...I also like the configuration of the MSR canister stove better.

Sooo...If I was buying today:

Canister Stove - MSR Reactor
Liquid Fuel - NO CLUE, but would probably be between the MSR Whisperlite Universal and the Primus Omnilite.

Keep the great advice coming...

PJG

WKR
A couple of things to think about regarding the MSR Whispelite Universal vs the Primus Omnilite. The legs on the cooking surface on the MSR Whisperlite are spaced farther apart than they are on the Primus Omnilite. So far apart that my smaller diameter pots where not supported, they would fall thru the center. MSR sells a seperate ring that you can add that solves this problem, but why would you space the legs so far apart in the first place, and I did not want to spend the money and have to carry a separate ring. Whereas, they are not this way on the Primus Omnilite. Now if you have larger diameter pots then this would never be a problem, but my snow peak french press was too small in diameter for the MRS Whisperlite. I orginally bought the MSR Whisperlite and had to return the next day because of this problem.

Also, the MSR uses a fuel pump that is all plastic versus the Primus pump this is all metal. Sure, you have a weight penalty with the Primus, but I feel that it is a more durable fuel pump.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
A couple of things to think about regarding the MSR Whispelite Universal vs the Primus Omnilite. The legs on the cooking surface on the MSR Whisperlite are spaced farther apart than they are on the Primus Omnilite. So far apart that my smaller diameter pots where not supported, they would fall thru the center. MSR sells a seperate ring that you can add that solves this problem, but why would you space the legs so far apart in the first place, and I did not want to spend the money and have to carry a separate ring. Whereas, they are not this way on the Primus Omnilite. Now if you have larger diameter pots then this would never be a problem, but my snow peak french press was too small in diameter for the MRS Whisperlite. I orginally bought the MSR Whisperlite and had to return the next day because of this problem.

Also, the MSR uses a fuel pump that is all plastic versus the Primus pump this is all metal. Sure, you have a weight penalty with the Primus, but I feel that it is a more durable fuel pump.

These things coupled with the fact that the Omnilite is MUCH more portable, probably gives the Primus the advantage. The only disadvantage on he Primus becomes being readily available.

Liquid Stove advantage: Primus Omnilite...

This is begining to sound like a tennis match...

Liv2Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
These things coupled with the fact that the Omnilite is MUCH more portable, probably gives the Primus the advantage. The only disadvantage on he Primus becomes being readily available.

Liquid Stove advantage: Primus Omnilite...

This is begining to sound like a tennis match...

What are the advantages/disadvantages of liquid vs canister? I was all set to buy a canister stove but now I'm not sure.