Let's talk cooking stoves...

n2horns

WKR
Kovea Spider, allows the canister to be upright or inverted. I use a Primus Litech Trek Kettle. Add a foil or other windscreen and it works great.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of liquid vs canister? I was all set to buy a canister stove but now I'm not sure.

Canisters

- Expensive Fuel
- Can't fly with them
- Tough to find in remote places (aka bush Alaska)
- Are a pain in below freezing weather.

All of which is usually more that counterbalanced by the fact that they are stupid simple, light, compact, and very very easy to use.

Liquid Fuel

- Can / Will burn your eyebrows off
- Bulkier and heavier (mostly)
- Usually require assembly and priming. i.e. less convenient

But fuel is cheap, and some of them will burn almost anything liquid, which is handy at times. And they work just as good at almost any temperature.

Most people are better served by canisters, but for the more interesting trips, liquid fuel has some advantages. Particularly if snow melting or flights are involved. I use both most years.

Yk

Beendare

WKR
I've used 4 of the little butane canister stoves with friends- brunton, jetboil, pocket rocket and another- all were great, work everytime propositions. I don't think a guy can go wrong with any of these unless you do a lot of cold weather stuff as the canisters freeze.

i like my little Brunton which folds up and along with the canister fit in a small Ti pot and weigh nothing. The Jetboil is slightly more efficent...but not enough to offset the bulk IMO. I can go 5 days solo backpacking with a small canister.

Liv2Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Canisters

- Expensive Fuel
- Can't fly with them
- Tough to find in remote places (aka bush Alaska)
- Are a pain in below freezing weather.

All of which is usually more that counterbalanced by the fact that they are stupid simple, light, compact, and very very easy to use.

Liquid Fuel

- Can / Will burn your eyebrows off
- Bulkier and heavier (mostly)
- Usually require assembly and priming. i.e. less convenient

But fuel is cheap, and some of them will burn almost anything liquid, which is handy at times. And they work just as good at almost any temperature.

Most people are better served by canisters, but for the more interesting trips, liquid fuel has some advantages. Particularly if snow melting or flights are involved. I use both most years.

Yk

Thanks for the intel! I think canister will work for most of my hunting situations. That being said I will probably buy one of each.

These things coupled with the fact that the Omnilite is MUCH more portable, probably gives the Primus the advantage. The only disadvantage on he Primus becomes being readily available.

Liquid Stove advantage: Primus Omnilite...

This is begining to sound like a tennis match...

Yea I think the omnilite is the better built of the two. Based on the metal vs plastic.

ScottP

WKR
That was my next question/issue. More often than not, I would like to be able to cook on it when no wood is available for a fire. I'm fine with bag meals until some "protien" hits ground, then I wanna eat meat.

AS far as the Jetboil goes, every guide I've EVER had on a mountain hunt has used Jetboil. I tend to gravitate towards gear mountain guides use because it usually works. The 10 times or so I've been around a Jetboil, they have been awesome for boiling water fast for Mountain House. Never seen one cooked on before though...and probably for good reason.

IMO, the jetboil sucks for cooking food (unless you are boiling it). I've had 2 of them, and both have about 3 rotations on the valve but absolutely no control on the fuel rate. I thought my first one was a lemon and took it back to REI. The second one was the same.. its an all or nothing stove or I've bought 2 lemons.

This year on my solo trips during archery season, I just packed my pocketrocket and a titanium pot/lid/frypan combo. Compact as a jetboil, less weight, but a bit worse performance in the wind. If I was using a stove for mainly boiling water on the side of a mountain, I guess I'd pack the jetboil. Otherwise, I prefer the PR and a TI pot. For me, more cooking options.

I've also had issues with the jetboil threading to other mfg's canisters (jetboil stove -> MSR can), this is not the case for the PR.

Good luck on your search.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I was hoping Aron would chime in here as I think he's been using a Primus lately...But then again, he's been kinda busy working on my pack! ;)

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Does anyone know where the Charter type companies stand regarding Cannister fuel or the small propane bottles? Mainly talking Wright Aviation or Warbelow's Aviation...I know these items are prohibited by FAA on the big commercial flights, but wonder how these smaller Charter type companies stand. If the answer is "no go" my decision just got easier. (Liquid Fuel) I will ask when I call to make my next reservation, but wondered if anyone had experience. Seems like most of the "transporters" have no problem with the cannisters...

I REALLY like my soto micro regulator. A guy gave it to me said if its not better than any other canister stove you've used just bring it back after the hunting season. that was 3 seasons ago i think. has worked great for me down to 10F.

i use a .8liter jetboil TI cup and the combo weighs 6.5oz or something.

For hunting august- october i don't think i would use anything other than my little soto. the liquid models are so heavy in comparison.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Doing a little more research, I think I found my answer: I'll be looking for a Liquid Fuel stove. Many of my hunts North involve Wrights and I don't think the FAA allows a plane with a normal flight schedule to fly with canisters.

So, unless I hear differently or my transporter can get or has canisters I'll be going with a Liquid Fuel Stove. Soto's Liquid Fuel stove does look more complicated, but sure does look nice. At this point I'm still leaning hard towards the Primus Omnilite.

Does anyone know where the Charter type companies stand regarding Cannister fuel or the small propane bottles? Mainly talking Wright Aviation or Warbelow's Aviation...I know these items are prohibited by FAA on the big commercial flights, but wonder how these smaller Charter type companies stand. If the answer is "no go" my decision just got easier. (Liquid Fuel) I will ask when I call to make my next reservation, but wondered if anyone had experience. Seems like most of the "transporters" have no problem with the cannisters...

Technically, none of them can carry canisters, but as you have noticed that rule is widely overlooked by most of the smaller outfits. In fact I've noticed that some of the pilots even carry canisters in their survival kits.

If you think you are going to be traveling on the Wrights and 40-Miles of the world though, liquid fuel is a good safe bet I think.

Yk

If still in the canister market look at the Soto Windmaster coupled with a Ollicamp XT pot. Has the heat exchangers, boils fast, can use other pots/pans to cook, does well in weather, and sips fuel.
As for liquid fuel I only have experience with MSR, and have had no problems with any of their models.

I had the Whisperlite Universal, sold it. It was a bit of a pain to switch back and forth from canister to liquid and the hose is very stiff and difficult to roll up and stuff into a pot. I wasn't impressed with the plastic parts either.

Running the Omnilite Ti now and much happier with that. It switches, easily, VERY easy to light in liquid mode, no singed eyebrows that the Whisperlite is famous for.

rayporter

WKR
a story
i was in memphis waiting to fly to fairbanks. i checked in with a brand new fuel bottle for a coleman apex. it looks like an MSR bottle but does have a different thread. the bottle was in a shrink wrapped package and obviously unopened. i was told i would have to leave the bottle out because it was a fuel bottle. after showing them the regs i had printed out and after a lot of searching to counter my printed copy i was finally allowed to take it in my checked bags. just saying.

you need to know you can get fuel where you go in Alaska and you need to get your fuel container to Alaska, too. you may have to buy a fuel bottle when you arrive, anyhow. if your pilot or outfitter has canisters to sell you might be ahead to get them there. communication is important here.

i also had matches and fuel bars and a lighter confiscated from my food box. so when you arrive you must go through all your gear.

there are 3 propane, 3 liquid fuel and a canister stove around here somewhere. [not counting a half dozen alcohol stoves.] and my buddy has a jetboil.
i prefer the canister for most trips. either way , good luck-ray

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
I know you quit talking about the MSR Dragonfly, but I have to put in a HUGE bump for it. I'be been using the same Dragonfly for well over a decade. I broke it in with a three month mountain bike touring/backpacking tour of Costa Rica in '99/2000. It's still going strong today using the original plastic fuel pump, which I've never had a problem with. Over time, I've replaced a few gaskets and the wick one. That's it.

It is bomb proof, adjustable from tiniest steady flame to a roaring inferno and will happily burn anything from white gas and kerosene to diesel and unleaded gas. It does take a few seconds to heat up from priming, I just pump it and turn on the jet for a second and light that fuel. I say, if you go the Dragonfly route you won't be sorry. I like liquid fuel stoves because they are cheaper to fuel, and more importantly, don't leave a trail of wasted aluminum canisters behind them. Way more conservation minded, at the cost of a few grams of weight that can be made up elsewhere.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I agree the Dragonfly looks pretty good, but would really like the capability to do canisters as well. If I decide to go liquid fuel only, it is definitely still in the running...a What I'd really like to do is check out some of these in person...