Lets talk elk and broadheads.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Bought some Hyde broadhead from evolution outdoors. Don’t be afraid to try the they fly super!!!!! I got the 125 grain. They also convert to hybrid style if your into that. Tough steel in the ferrule and a great warranty!!!

DEHusker

WKR
Great post! I agree wholly. I pondered and compared all spring, and finally decided on shooting QAD Exodus 125s.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Exodus 100's are all I've used the past several years. Just absolutely devastating and tough tough tough. Haven't found anything better since then. Accurate, badass broad heads. You won't worry about blood trails with a good hit. But, agree with others in that there are many good heads available. Tune them good and go hunt.

WVELK, good post, you are on point. No head or arrow setup is magic, more tome shooting and less time tinkering with arrow builds is better once you find a good head you trust.

familiarity in your setup is more valuable than the latest and greatest Broadhead. People way overthink Broadhead/arrow combos

Jman86

FNG
Good point in practicing 10 yards farther than your max, to easier detect your shooting flaws.

TheViking

WKR
I recently traveled down the elk broadhead rabbit hole.
I was very close to just buying the iron wills so i didn't have to think about it anymore, but kept getting hung up on my letting them get rusty or something.
After digging through as much as I could find online, I have decided that the 4blade kudupoint has the best balance for what I'm looking for with regards to durability/price/flight. The performance through steel plate in the Lusk videos on youtube is what sold me. Hopefully I send one through this season.
100 or 125 grain version?

In order
Kudu, Helix and Dirtnap
All cut on contact, tight groups to 80 and tough. Dirtnap has lifetime warranty. Even if dull they will sharpen and send back to you as I understand it. Last yr I found cheap 3 blade G5 Strikers, and they are great too. Stupid sharp. I believe they are German engineered and manufactured in Sweden...

Have not shot Iron Will, and there's a couple of other new interesting ones out also.

I've Taken 17 elk by archery, mostly bulls, most with muzzy 3 blade, but they weren't flying as well as my arrow speed increased.

There are great options out there but I'm very comfortable with the first 4 I recommended...
Best of luck all

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying out Anihilator 150gr XLs.

I like they can be resharpened in the field.

They are also pretty much indestructible....unless you shoot them into rocks.

Another head on my radar is 150gr Trypan Crossbow heads....but I have to get my 70lb Bowtech repaired before I shoot those heads....

Pretty sure the Anihilator will make a good hole x 2 out of 65lb bow?

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t claim to be anyone other than someone who loves to hunt, has been very fortunate bowhunting for elk and has shot a lot of elk with a compound bow. Each has come through hard work and luck, and each has taught me something about broadheads. I write this for the younger folks who are just getting started. You hear and read about cutting diameter, penetration tests, stainless blades, three blade versus four blade, chisel tip versus other tips - you name it and it is out there to debate. Here is where I come down on the issue and what is often over looked. Nothing is more important than shot placement, and by that I mean the ability to place the arrow and head where you aim and where it needs to hit. That doesn‘t mean I aimed at his ass. It glanced off a tree and hit him dead center in the lungs. It means I have the maximum confidence with by bow and this head, and can feel certain that I can hold my sight center of the lungs at 40 yards and hit the center of the lungs.

I am old enough to have hunted with the green two bladed bear broadheads and young enough to enjoy experimenting with new equipment each year. I don’t know of a single head on the market I have not shot. I am an accuracy junky who was on one of the original “manufactures teams” when 3-D targets first came out. What does that mean? Not much other than I am a respectable shot and been doing this a while.

My two most important factors when choosing a broadhead (my only two factors to be honest) are accuracy of the head and structural integrity of the head. If you put a sharp head through both lungs, an elk is not going far. End of story. It does not matter whether the head has a 1 inch diameter or a 12 inch diameter, but what does matter is that 1 inch head is aerodynamically superior to the 12 inch head.

So the best advise I can give a newbie is to buy a few packs of heads and see which shoots best for you. It will be an invaluable training experience. You get stronger. You gain confidence. You know what works best for you. For me, I prefer fixed blade heads with replaceable blades. Shoot the arrow and the head to see if it is accurate - replace blades before you hunt. Save old blades for practice in other heads, because you should have shot every arrow in you quiver before season and make sure it hits where it should hit. Although a lot of elk are taken each year with mechanical heads, they are best left for smaller game in my opinion.

For me this fall it will be a standard slick trick head riding enough kinetic energy to pass through an elk. Kinetic energy is for another day, but don‘t forget that 340 feet per second will not push a feather through a Gnat’s ass. There are a lot - and I mean a lot - of really good broadheads out there. So get outside during COVID-19 and shoot some!
What about 312 FPS with a 390 grain arrow? Did the trick for me..🤷‍♂️
IMO speed is always better than logs for arrows.

It's all about tradeoffs and what you are looking for out of your broadheads. If I were shooting a fixed head it would be a 1)QAD 2) Magnus Buzzcut 3) Black Hornet. My choice though is a mechanical and I have Trypans in my quiver. Number 2 option would be a Spitfire and number 3 would be a Sevr 1.5. The 1.5 doesn't put much blood on the ground in my experience but it kills fast and elicits less of a response, similar to COC fixed heads with traditional profiles.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Anyone tried the Tooth of the Arrow broadheads? They are on my short list to try out as well as the VPA’s. I just got my new bow set up so it’s time to try some different heads. I’m shooting much heavier arrows than I used to also. 31” draw at 70# and 535 grain arrows.

bozeman

WKR
I have some tooth of arrow....havent shot them yet, but they are on my list to try and see if they can unseat the Kudus.....

Scoot

WKR
A lot of heads will "kill" elk, but elk can cover a fair distance in a very short amount of time. In thick timber country, that means they can be out of sight immediately and running for 10+ seconds. Even if that's only 100 yards, if there's not a lot of blood on the ground that can be a horrible tracking job. I've been there and done that a few times. But I've never had to do that with a large cut mechanical.

Everyone has a different perspective and different experiences. Use what you're confident in.
Correct me if I'm wrong, 5mile, but you're also slinging those mechanicals with a drawlength that's damn near 3 feet long, with relatively heavy arrows, and with 70 lbs. Lots of folks aren't blessed with that kind of KE.

I have a 29.5" draw length and shoot pretty heavy arrows and 72 lbs. Once was enough for me to see how mechanicals did for me on elk- perfect shot but poor performance (recovered the elk though).

Generally speaking I think mechanicals aren't the best recommendation for elk (I love them for thin skinned critters though) , but some people/setups do well with them.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
Got the Anihilators in 150xl.

They are 1 1/16" diameter.

They look tiny for a 150gr head.

Very well built head ...but not scalpel sharp....should be very easy to sharpen.

I am shooting out of 65lb bow so should have no problems with penetration...these look like they would punch threw @ 60 yards.

I hope they make some larger diameter heads in the future.