Lets talk elk and broadheads.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
In regards to the OPs original post, so would it be advisable for a beginner and even someone who has taken significant time off from shooting a bow, to practice only with field points in optimal outdoor conditions until the shooter is confident that they, the bow and arrows are performing as they should and are experiencing accurate repeatable shots? Then and only then start experimenting with broadheads.
In regards to distance, I personally don’t feel comfortable taking shots in the field over 40yds under most conditions, only because I know so much can happen in such a short amount of time and distance. However, practicing at longer distances is useful to aquire the target faster, and hold steady longer. At shorter distances this should be especially evident if you practice at longer distances 50+ yds. That to me helps build confidence.
As for what i shoot, I used to be a hardcore Muzzy 4 blade 100gr user, but I had a deer that I hit decently, in 1 lung, and it took longer to die than I wanted and there was very little blood. I know that’s my fault, but I wanted to experiment with a bit larger cutting diameter. So I went to the Exodus 100gr, and I was really impressed this last year. The exit hole was just devastating, granted it was only at 25 yds and on a whitetail doe but still impressive. Went through ribs on both sides with some damage but not as much as I expected. I will be sticking with these as I have become very confident with them in practice out to 60yds.

Attachments

• BA452ED8-788C-482C-AB2F-275E360AEDF3.jpeg
    BA452ED8-788C-482C-AB2F-275E360AEDF3.jpeg
    732 KB · Views: 19
  • F1FF2ED0-7577-4F94-9A24-AFE6C73DD1AF.jpeg
    F1FF2ED0-7577-4F94-9A24-AFE6C73DD1AF.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 19

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I am NOT a fan of 4-blades unless its a cut on contact with small bleeders .

3 blades always seem to punch through better.

I practice broadheads out to 75-80 yards....every shot in the field at game is different....but try to stay under 50.