let's talk emergency sleep/shelter setups

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact of the matter is that anyone hunting in the backcountry could be faced w/ an unexpected night out and it behooves all of us to be at least somewhat prepared if that were to happen.

I've had to spend two unplanned nights- one working, one hunting- they both really sucked! I was able to get a fire going on both occasions, but I had very little in the way of extra clothing, let alone sleep/shelter bits.

Adequate clothing for the conditions and a little bit extra is probably the first line of defense. The ability to start a fire easily (even in adverse conditions) is the second.

Beyond that, what options are viable; certainly carrying what you would carry on a multi-day backpack hunt would be ideal from a comfort standpoint, but probably a bit of overkill (in both weight and volume) for a day hunt.

Here's what I've been carrying on day hunts in the backcountry.

I carry a 20x20" z-pad for a sitpad (4 oz), strapped to my pack for easy access when taking a break or glassing. Between the bag and frame I carry a 20x40" 3/8" closed cell foam pad (4 oz)- I scored this pad in 10" sections, much like the z pad, so it folds nicely. This gives me pretty good torso length insulation for underneath. I have an Apex quilt (made by MLD) that is rated to 48 degrees (12 oz), it also has a "poncho" hole in it so it can be worn standing or sitting (I'll use it in very cold weather draped over me when glassing). I have a SOL Escape bivy (8 oz) that provides some weather resistance and also helps maintain heat within.

Extra clothing includes a heavy fleece balaclava (2 oz), insulated mitts (Apex (2 oz)), insulated booties (Apex) (2oz). I have an Apexi insulated jacket (10 oz) and pants (9 oz) that are routinely worn in cold weather on breaks/glassing.

Everything except the additional length ccf pad, the bivy and the booties are used at least some of the time hunting, some items frequently.

If I happened to be caught out in mild weather (say 40's) I'd be downright cozy, 30's not too bad, 20's chilly, 10's very chilly, 0 freezing my ass off!!! But as miserable as I would be, I'd still be able to tell folks about it later :)

These extra bits don't add a lot of extra weight- a couple of pounds and don't take a lot of room either; I was able to carry this setup in an 18 liter pack (MR Pop Up 18).

Obviously compromises are made on such a setup, as nice as it would be if caught out unexpectedly, not many of us are going to carry a full on shelter, 0 degree bag and a high R rated pad for a day hunt.

I know some guys carry nothing but a matchbook and optimism, but getting caught out is one of those things that can happen to anyone and I like to stack the odds a little bit in my favor.

The more I start to do solo trips, the more “emergency” gear I take. I’ve got a GoLite poncho with stakes, straps and cordage, neatly rolled and stowed in a little silnylon bag. My puffy, gloves and hat go everywhere, along with my 30* EE convert. My possibles pouch rounds this out.

*zap*

WKR
Being able to stay dry is utmost, light 10x10 tarp or shelter is only 1# (my MLD solomid xl is 15 ounces with all cords but no stakes) and if you carry trekking poles with you normally your set if you add a few light stakes...maybe 20 ounces total. Good puffy pant and jacket.....some high fat food like nut butter in a small plastic jar for emergencies....
Anyone going into actual 'backcountry' for the day should be prepared to spend the night and live thru it.

This is a good topic. (y)

cmahoney

WKR
I purchased a brighter headlamp for this reason. I hiked through some major cliff country to get to a glassing spot in the daylight, no problem. Coming back in the dark took me at least 3 times as long and I almost stopped to set up camp. The problem I had was my inability to see far enough ahead to find my way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always have a puffy with me and a SOL emergency blanket plus fire starter. Not sure how warm an emergency blanket is but it would be wind proof at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I waited out an unexpected rain/sleet storm in a SOL bivy on what was supposed to be a fast/light summer hiking trip. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would've been, and the hikers that pushed thru it and got wet were all suffering from pretty serious chills and were borderline hypothermic when I saw them. I've been carrying it on every backcountry trip for a few years, summer or winter and now I definitely wont be leaving it at home.

Light, often have two. Headlamps or cell phone lights have helped kept me out of the Bush at night after a few backcountry day trips turned into marathons.

Food, always have bars or something that doesnt require heat and wont go bad in my packs. Usually something with caffeine in it too.

Knife & Firestarter...

After that it starts to become activity/season dependent. But it usually includes something to repair me. Something to repair the equipment I've used to get in to/out of the backcountry. Usually an insulated top that is one season colder then what I'm in, and appropriate for the type of precipitation I'll see. Down only comes in the coldest part of the winter. Extra pants are usually just Goretex pants and an extra pair of long John's. Extra gloves and an extra pair of socks in the winter. Toque, always have a toque.

Coffee & stove are almost always with me in the cooler months now.

I dont bring a ton of extra water. We always have lots available and I've never personally gotten sick from drinking from a stream, though I am selective.

One tip that has always stuck with me, from a buddy who is a SAR Tech. If you ever get lost or stuck out. Empty every pocket in your pants/pack/jacket, everything must be reviewed. He says it is amazing how often they rescue people who had gear or food with them that they didnt even realize and that would have made their extra night stay in the BC more bearable.

rbljack

WKR
I bought the puffy pants last year to go with my FL Puffy Jacket. This year I added the FL Brooks Down Mittens. I typically carry the short thermarest Ridgerest pad for glassing or a seat in the wet/snow. Beyond that, I carried my supertarp or Snowyside E-vent bivy for a shelter (just in case item). With those items and normal day gear (headlamp, TP, food, water/filtration, Firestarter, etc) . I always have at least 2 headlamps, and multiple Firestarter options. My first aid kit is a bit heavy, and I also carry the Inreach Mini

…I can get through an unexpected night if needed. All that being said...I am still looking for ways to lighten my daypack weights. There is definlity trade offs to super light vs somewhat prepared. Finding an acceptable balance is what I believe to be the best option. Its not worth spending an unexpected night out in super cold conditions and getting frostbite just to save a pound of pack weight IMO.

Last edited:
SOL has some great products. Sleeping in an emergency blanket sucks but it is better than nothing and an emergency bivy is better still. As temps get lower, I add some more fuel, clothes and a sleeping bag to my truck kit. I have enough there to camp for a few days in relative comfort.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
good stuff! :)

will touch on a couple of things I didn't mention above, but should have- calories very important imo- I carry a ziplock bag w/ 8 Cliff nutbutter bars that are reserved for an unexpected night out (or an extra long day/night)- roughly 2000 calories

headlamp(s)- the best unexpected overnight is no overnight :cool: I carry two as I use them to get into and most often out of my hunting areas and one full set of spare batteries

shelter- our rifle season (I'm not an archery hunter) runs mid October- end of November, so precipitation is almost always snow; if I was hunting earlier a small tarp would be thrown in for sure (I keep trekking poles on my pack in the event I have to haul meat out); in a pinch I have piece of Tyvek (~5x5', 3 oz) that I put grommets in the corners- it's brought for processing meat, but could offer some protection from the wet stuff

CBreeze

FNG
Great discussion guys. My magnesium fire starter and striker; my “security” blanket, a headlamp and a surefire absolutely help provide that confidence to take a last minute of light shot a couple miles from camp and can (have been) the difference between a long night and a survival situation.

Last edited:
I spent my first night out when I was 12, pretty well coached up, made my camp and fire before it got dark and actually slept.
went after a bull in Hells Canyon 30 years later knowing I would have to stay the night. Started my fire before I dressed the bull.
There are some great ideas here I’ll be adding to my kit. I haven’t read anyone writing about is practice. I’ve taught everyone I’ve hunted with to keep looking for good places to spend the night and to actually build a fire. It can be done, it can be difficult sometimes.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ practice makes perfect; also gives you a realistic idea on what to expect so it’s not as much as a shock

Ram94

WKR
One thing that I learned this year after spending the night on the mountain in an SOL emergency bivy, is that those things do not breath at all and the condensation build up near killed me. Would’ve been better off not using it at all as it soaked my clothes. There are a few better options that breath a bit for slightly more money.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys... this seems like a good thread to share this particular survival tip. It's from Taromovies (a Swiss bushcrafter/ former service member) and he demonstrates a technique that involves a space blanket and small tea candles. Simple and ultralight - it's worth 5 minutes of your time. Cheers-

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the “regular” SOL bivies don’t breathe well, their Escape ones do (they have a light one that weighs 5-ish oz and a regular- more room, that weighs 8 oz; they more spendy for sure