let's talk emergency sleep/shelter setups

*zap*

WKR
I usually wear one of these and find myself using it often for orientation especially in the dark hours. E-Z to just look at your wrist...

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
I usually wear one of these and find myself using it often for orientation especially in the dark hours. E-Z to just look at your wrist...

I have that too and absolutely don’t go without it. So easy to know Your bearing going and then back and I find augments a track back with gps very well. Literally weighs nothing.

ozyclint

WKR
i've been thinking about being better prepared for an unexpected night out lately and a search lead me to this thread. i recently got a puffy jacket and pants so a shelter is my last item that i need to attend to.

i have a super tarp but i want something smaller and lighter that can live in my pack all the time. i don't want to carry a supertarp for emergency use when i'm tent camping. i was thinking of something like a Z packs hexamid pocket tarp. i will probably DIY something. any ideas along these lines?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you're going to carry a tarp in your day pack, would be nice to be able to use it glassing, getting out of the weather for lunch, etc

make sure it's big enough to do those duties (as well as serve as a emergency shelter)

plenty of flat tarps on the market, sil tarps are pretty reasonable and light

TX_Diver

WKR
Interesting thread. I always have a poncho, emergency blanket, and extra fire starter (in addition to the usual first aid stuff). Now that I've started using trekking poles I'm thinking of ditching the poncho and adding one of the basic tarps (maybe a kifaru paratarp or sheep tarp).

Will keep checking back on this thread for ideas over the next few weeks. Final decision will be dependent on what tags I draw...

Fatcamp

WKR
We carry a 6X6 or so piece of tyvek with our kill kit, a large foil blanket with our emergency kit, and almost always have our rain gear with us. Along with a method of making fire and some paracord we have options for making it through the night.

Beendare

WKR
I've been stuck out a few times elk hunting off trail...and many times hog hunting in the summer at night back in the mini mag light days. Those lights would just up and go dark on you with little warning....and they didn't last very long. Last thing you want to do is be stumbling around in tough country and walk off a cliff...or step in some nasty hole.

The one time I was solo and it was raining...I had a mylar emergency blanket- what a waste that thing was. It 1/2 melted it to me in the middle of the night. Those are about 2/3rd the size they need to be- worthless, IMO. If you go that mylar route, get the sleeping bag version....but warning, it's not the best.

I've been stuck out in the mtns with a Golite poncho which was better...less likely to melt it. Then I started packing a 6'x9' chunk of silnylon....that worked pretty good the one night though I was with another buddy and it could have been bigger to wrap both of us....6' or 8' x 12' would be perfect for 2. You find out real quick what your buddy is made of in those situations. In that case with my buddy Kirk....I think we about laughed ourselves warm a couple of times.

A few things you can do to make yourself comfortable. A fire of course....then use small pine bows or leaves to insulate you from the ground. In the mountains you can also pile that stuff over you getting some insulation....and a lot of pitch in the process- grin. You have to stay dry....and out of the wind...that wind is a killer. Lots of fire strategies that help keep you comfortable. Get a small fire burning then you can range out in the dark for more wood.

On those hog trips at night with the dogs it was usually a hot summer night, and though part of the reason we would get stuck out was due to thick fog rolling in from the coast and you couldn't see 10' in front of you even with a light. Then we would just lay flat on hard pack dirt that had been exposed to the sun getting our warmth from the ground. We typically didn't have packs with a lot of stuff in them on those hunts....we had to move fast. It was usually only 5-6 hours until it was light enough to see....unlike those mountain hunts with long nights.

Now-a-days with LED headlamps and a backup flashlight on your phone....its pretty tough to get stuck out.

_____

ozyclint

WKR
i was thinking about a hexamid design but i think i'll make a mini version of a paratarp. just big enough to crawl into and cover me. i think the end entry will be more weatherproof than the side entry of a hexamid design. i think the 'miniparatarp' will be more versatile to pitch, as well as easier to find a footprint for.

from my model i've worked out it should be under 200gms (7oz's) with stakes. this is based on using 1.1oz silnylon. i can use my tripod for the rear pole and an arrow or trekking pole for the front pole when above tree line. obviously sticks will suffice elsewhere.IMG_7988.JPG