Let’s talk Mountain Bucks

I’m in North Northwest PA..... found a nice hell hole, mountain buck kingdom..... life is good......., how do y’all like to hunt in 8ft tall laurels that transition from miles of red oak mast but turn into rocky cliffs of doom lol

Lowg08

WKR
Are you sure your not hunting in western North Carolina lol. Our bucks are in the witness protection program

See if you can find a rocky bench where they have to funnel through due to terrain. Steep and rocky and concentrate mountain deer movement.

watch the laurel edge from farther out in the red oaks so you can see them from a distance and not let your scent waft into the laurels

Lowg08

WKR
In all honesty I love chasing Wiley old mountain deer. I use all the above tactics. I go further and stay longer. It’s my own little way to hunt like they do out west considering every time I plan a trip out west something comes up. I hunt saddles, benches, flat ridges that fall off into creeks, pine patches that border laurels. Rock cliffs actually make really good funnels or channel deer in certain directions

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
In all honesty I love chasing Wiley old mountain deer. I use all the above tactics. I go further and stay longer. It’s my own little way to hunt like they do out west considering every time I plan a trip out west something comes up. I hunt saddles, benches, flat ridges that fall off into creeks, pine patches that border laurels. Rock cliffs actually make really good funnels or channel deer in certain directions

I moved home from Colorado..... it’s how I get my fix as well

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a good area that should have some funnels and pinch points. Those are the areas I would be trying to find. Good luck!

Lowg08

WKR
Sounds like a good area that should have some funnels and pinch points. Those are the areas I would be trying to find. Good luck!
[/QUOTE]

It really is. Just takes some work. It does have good pinch points. Our deer population took a major hit years ago. No one even deer hunts where I do. BUT it’s did put a fly fishing sticker on my truck so no one thinks I’m hunting.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees

It really is. Just takes some work. It does have good pinch points. Our deer population took a major hit years ago. No one even deer hunts where I do. BUT it’s did put a fly fishing sticker on my truck so no one thinks I’m hunting.
[/QUOTE]

I park at a fishing trail as well for that reason.... that’s a good idea with the sticker tho

Lowg08

WKR
Maybe it’s only a coincidence but I’m not found any buck sign as of now below 4,000’. Everyone I be talked to has found tons of buck sign above 4,000’. I’m going to hunt one of my places at 4500 and see what I find

Cbrick

FNG
X2 on the fly fishing sticker. Even got a trout tag for good measure. Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk