Leuko tape alternative

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Obviously, ideally your boots fit so perfect that you never get blisters or need heel protection.
Realistically, at least for me, taping my heels is occasionally necessary. No matter the boot or break in.

Leuko tape used to work perfect! Unfortunately, the last 2 times I’ve had to tape, it’s given me an incredibly annoying itchy rash near where the tape was.

Any Leuko tape alternatives you’ve had success with preventing heel blisters? Besides liner socks?

i know this might sound dumb. but do you actually put duct tape or leuko on your skin? 1 layer? wrapped completely around or just a 3 inch sq piece

fishslap

WKR
For Leuko tape, put it directly on the skin but never on a blister. It will tear your skin off when you remove it if the skin is damaged already. If you wanted to use it over existing damaged skin, you’d need to cover the damaged area with moleskin or a bandaid then tape over it with Leuko tape. As far as coverage, I put one vertical strip on the back of my heel, maybe 3-4” or so. Sometimes I’ll do a slightly shorter strip under it horizontally (new boots, multiple days or long hikes). I focus on the area prone to blister plus a few inches on either side. It helps if your feet are clean and dry then it sticks great, otherwise it can peel up. If I didn’t take a shower already that day, I’ll wipe the area with water or alcohol first.

hwy1strat

WKR
Hit your feet with spray antiperspirant to help keep them from filling your boots with sweat.

How long did you leave the tape on when you broke out? You shouldn't leave it on for more than 5 days at a time and you need to let it air out at night

I use leukotape as preventative measure. I know my feet aren't tough enough to hold up to a big week even if my boots fit great. I tape around my heels two roll widths high, run a strip or two across the balls of my feet so that the start and end of the tape is just coming up to the top of my feet, and sometimes wrap the outside of my big toe where I have huge calluses. I tend to tape a larger area than might need it because I have had the tape peel or shift on me in some cases.

I lived in a town that was a frequent resupply point along the pacific crest trail for a while and occasionally picked up through hikers on my way home from work bringing them into town. Those folks always taped up their feet before getting back on the trail which told me if you do enough hiking, your feet can probably use some help from tape.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I'd replace very day if you could. You're not suppose to leave bandages on for 5 days, why leukotape.

kipper09

WKR
Not trying to derail the thread here but how are you guys carrying your leukotape? I don’t want to carry a whole roll as that seems excessive. Just curious if you carried it some other way??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a couple wraps on my trekking poles.
Unfortunately when you expose it to air the adhesive starts to down grade. But not to bad .

If your skin is to sensitive try one of these sleeves.
It called an Achilles gel sleeve.
download.jpeg

ethan

WKR
Not trying to derail the thread here but how are you guys carrying your leukotape? I don’t want to carry a whole roll as that seems excessive. Just curious if you carried it some other way??

I always carry a tube of chapstick I’m my first aid kit. I didn’t want to carry an entire roll of Leuko tape either so I just wrapped my chapstick tube in Leuko, works pretty well for me

Trial153

WKR

Take a peice of paper that postal labels come one, the slick crap. Cut the tape into strips and put it on the paper. I make up a dozen or so in different sizes and fold them up. They live in my pack .

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
i know this might sound dumb. but do you actually put duct tape or leuko on your skin? 1 layer? wrapped completely around or just a 3 inch sq piece

3/4" wide roll from home depot, cut 1-1/2 long and stuck right down the back of the heel. It'll keep friction and associated heat off the skin. I used it with some new hanwags a few years ago that were giving me slight heel lift. It goes on at the start of the day.

elkduds

WKR
To keep duct tape stuck to my heel, I tear a square, then put it on as a diamond w corners @ top, bottom, both sides. Skin should be cleanish and dry, gauze over any hot spot or blister before tape goes on, antibiotic ointment if available. Stays on better for me w corners up/down than when the tape edges are horizontal/vertical.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That sucks about the break out, because I haven't found anything even remotely close to Leukotape. That stuff sticks through wet, dry, or otherwise for days at a time. Love it. I put two layers on both heels and up the achilles a little bit and it stays on until I take it off, which is after I'm home after my hunt which may be well over a week.

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
Electrical tape has worked for me as well. Like the Leukotape better but if it's causing issues try the electrical tape. Spent lots of time with it wrapped around fingers.

Your tape might have latex in it, that can cause skin rash. It’s common in healthcare providers that why most things are latex free. Gloves and tape being the big ones.