Leukotape vs Kinesio tape

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at Leukotape and is it just a Kinesio tape? Or am I missing some extra benefit of Leukotape over Rocktape or other brand?

I have Rocktape around the house/always end up with small chunks that I don't use. I was figuring I could just start saving that and tossing it my bag.

Plus side to Rocktape, you can camo your feet too! http://shop.rocktape.com/2-green-camouflage/

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leuko tape is way stickier IMO. I used it last year for the first time. I had a chuck stay on my heel for over a week. 90+ miles that week, and a lot of it was packing. I'll never travel anywhere without it. Multiple uses. I've been K-taped many times, never sticks like the Leuko tape did.

Stwrt9

WKR
I believe they are fairly similar but Kinesio/Rock tape has more elasticity. In my experience Leukotape is harder to get off the skin so depending on where you put it. make sure there is no hair in the area your putting it as it will be painful taking it off.

Edit: I think if your looking for something to cover blisters or hot spots Leukotape is definitely the way to go, it is a staple in my kit for backcountry excursions.

Last edited:

AdamW

WKR
What are you wanting it for? For protecting heels/feet from blisters, leukotape is unbeatable IMO.

Ray

WKR
Kinesio tape...I see people use it in long strips down their back or legs. Its very flexible. The human skin is not connected to muscle in any meaningful, structural way, and it stretches well. So what do they think the tape is going to do? Something flexible, stuck to something that is also flexible, which is covering something that is not all that flexible, but not stuck to it. Other than providing a psychosomatic edge, I don't see the point.

An leukotape is the bomb for foot protection. The one time I used kenesio tape on an overnight training hike made things worse due to all the flopping around the skin does under the tape. Old school athletic tape would have worked better.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Ray you are correct- healthcare practitioners who use kinesiotape (chiros and my fellow over-zealous PT's) vastly over-state its capabilities. Kinesio and rock tape can stretch double or more their original length; Looks neat, but not really great at doing anything other than a type of placebo impact (and most quality research shows this as well).

Leukotape does not stretch. Think of it like athletic tape on steroids, once the adhesive is on it doesn't come off unless you want it to or after several days. This quality alone makes it unbelievable for hot spots and potential blisters. Many many uses, tough great stuff, I use it all the time at work and it always comes with me to the backcountry.

bz_711

WKR
K-tape more flexible, Leukotape much better adhesive and fit for feet/blisters IMO.

Picked up on Leukotape a couple years back (after trying others including duct tape)...it applied correctly it can stay on an entire hunt, I've even had it last thru 2 showers...always in my gear bag now and apply the day we arrive to camp.
(I've also used it to cover up wounds on my dog when nothing else would stick)

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all for the input.
I was looking for blister prevention and will buy some leukotape.

It's been said but leukotape is the best stuff for blister prevention. A $9 roll off of Amazon lasted me 3 years. I've had it stay on 5 days even getting wet. It is a good idea to round the corners with scissors to help prevent it from catching on your socks when you take them off. Also, pack the whole roll rather than trying to wrap it on a pen or something else. Definitely loses a bit of it's stickiness if it's applied to something more than once. I've never had an issue with it tearing skin or anything but I'll put it on before I go out, not after I already have a blister.

Rather than start a new thread I'll ask here. What works as a backing for precut pieces of Leukotape?

Blackcow

WKR
Parchment paper, or I just save the wax paper from name tag/mailing labels. Regular kitchen was paper doesn't work well(at all).

Parchment paper, or I just save the wax paper from name tag/mailing labels. Regular kitchen was paper doesn't work well(at all).
This is brilliant! I keep it rolled around my lighter and contact solution, but I have never used it.
Now the wife WILL need it so I would like to precut some for her.

THANKS!!

Blackcow

WKR
If it's a new roll, I make a bunch up on the label backer, but when the roll gets down about half I just take the roll. If you try and put some on a hiking pole or around a lighter or whatever, the sticky gets less sticky and the non sticky side gets gummed up. Then crap( like your sock) sticks to it, and pisses me off. Can't wait to tell my wife I'm brilliant.

huntcoop

WKR
Curious, do you put this stuff on your heals or balls of your feet on day 1 to prevent any issues? Is that the point of the stuff? I've gotten horrible blisters on maybe day 2, I'm assuming that this would have prevented those had I applied on day 1...

I think it is put on to prevent blisters if you feel a "hot spot". If you put it on after you get a blister, it sticks so well that it will pull your blister off when you remove the tape. I guess if you have a small blister, you can put something (moleskin) on it, then put the tape over the area. I believe prevention is the best thing.

bz_711

WKR
Curious, do you put this stuff on your heals or balls of your feet on day 1 to prevent any issues? Is that the point of the stuff? I've gotten horrible blisters on maybe day 2, I'm assuming that this would have prevented those had I applied on day 1...

Yes - I know put it on my heels when we arrive in camp as a prevention...no sense in waiting for a hot spot. Any place you have gotten blister in the past, I'd suggest putting tape on day 1.