Leupold 1000 TBRi for Archery?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Has anybody tried this unit out and confirmed wheter it properly measures cuts uphill/downhill for archers?

It's a realy nice package - great optics, great display, smaller than almost all other rangefinders too. The laser seems to be very accurate (hits right behind the crosshair) and will shoot through very tight places - also seems to filter out small objects (like fishing pole display at Cabelas to range the wall behind) which is real handy in the field.

I've had issues with older Leupold rangefinders properly calculating the cuts though so I'm wondering if anybody has tested this thing out on some real hills and shot their bow or tested it against other angle compensating rangefinders. Everything else seems to be excellent, but if it doesn't give you the number you want then it's worthless.

Any info much appreciated!!

Coop

sneek-ee

WKR
Coop,

This is the rangefinder I use. Got one last year and it worked great!
I wanted something that I could use for archery that would compensate angles and then longer distances for rifle hunts, too.
In my search this is what I found to be best for the angles and short distances and then when rifle rolls around for the longer distances.
I haven't got it to read 1000 yards. I ranged an elk at 960 something in the winter, but sometimes it wont spit out a reading on things i feel are under 1000, say over 800 yards. Other times it'll read. Anything to 800 has been great and reliable though.
My buddy has a Nikon. thats the only one i've ever put it up with. Reads right on with the Nikon which compensates, but my Leupold will reach further out than his. Also, the Leupold is much easier to read the numbers and screen when you're ranging.
Shot a deer in Idaho with my bow last year at 52 yards (said the rangefinder). I hit high, but good enough (but that was more than likely just me).
Same story with Utah elk hunt. those are the only two animals i killed when ranging with it last year.
Turkey hunt a couple months ago was spot on for me.

So, to sum it up. I trust it while hunting. and its worth it to me. Easy to read display and accurate with everything i've done.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I abandoned Leupold rangefinders after their 1st generation. Cuts were poor, and seemed to work out to about 65 and then seemed to not work at all. This has to be about 4 or 5 years now, so they could possibly be better now. The problem is still measures to one yard increments, which will affect all the cuts. I use the Nikon Archers Max and it measures to .2 yards and calculates cuts from that point down to a more accurate yardage. I have tested the Archers Max up to a 19 degree angle, compared to my inclinometer with consign table. It was within a half yard. I started to take note of this with the Swaro EL Range binoculars calculating incorrectly. I prefer the most exact to start would be most exact cut in theory.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just read your other post Darin, testing it in real life conditions would be the best test. I am certain you know how to do cuts the old fashioned way so you can always compare it to what the rangefinder does. I also agree the optics on Nikon are average at best, but I have found the rangefinder to be spot on including the cuts.

My Harem

FNG
Darrin,

Bought this model last year and really like it. I bought if for rifle but primarilly for bowhunting. I booked my first every guided hunt for Dall and was lucky enough to draw for 410 Canmore bighorn in Alberta. It helped on a 371 yd steep down hill on my dall. 1 shot kill on the dall, bullet hit bang on the value it gave. I was able to range sheep out to 700 yds. This is past my effective shooting distance.
It was a huge part in me getting a bighorn last year with my bow. I practised alot with it on hard uphills and down hills and really got to know both my bow and how it responded to the yardage I was reading ( i found it to be correct). I only had one opportunity and it was 64yds....meat in the freezer, horns on the wall. I would not hesitate to buy it. I also own higher end binos and spotting scope and a 10 year old leica rangefinder. Based on my budget (had to buy a bit of gear) and what was out last year i believe it to be a quality product.

wapitibob

WKR
Darin, Ben English is the only friend I know who has had this unit for the last cpl years. The cuts on our home course are tougher than Redding. Last year I watched him shoot a 58 field and only missed 5 dots on the animals with that rangefinder. There is no doubt in my mind, for archery, there is nothing better. It's not an 800 yard Antelope in WY rangefinder from what the long range guys have said but again, for bowhunting, nothing is better. He and I are the same height and the cuts were dead nuts with my Suntomo/cosine calcs.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one not in tbr and I gotta tell ya, it's not the most accurat within 50 yards. Let's say at 30, you will get a tenge from 28-32.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks everyone for the input - and more is welcome. I probably won't pick one up for another week or two. It's good to know you guys are having success with the TBR unit. I can definitely do my own testing in the field, but figured with all the experienced guys here that someone else had already put it through the paces and I wouldn't waste my time if you guys had already proven it was a bust. I can always return it at Cabelas' if it doesn't work as advertised! I do think they significantly upgraded the rangefinder in the newer TBR units. I had terrible luck with their first gen stuff - Their engineer argued with me for 30 minutes at the ATA show about archery ballistics. She couldn't grasp the fact that archery ballistics are built into our bow-sights so a 1 yard cut at 320 fps is still just a 1 yard cut at 180 fps... I didn't make the US Field archery team by being an idiot!! Those original RX rangefinders SUCKED for archery! I'm really looking forward to trying this new one out!

Thanks again!

Coop

wapitibob

WKR
yeppers, nv5000 with the pallets
Best purchase I ever made. Hoyt was making their recurve handles on theirs when I went thru a few years ago.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Confirmed... Leupold TBR1000i is a good piece of equipment. Cuts are accurate uphill and downhill, optics are great, display is adjustable for different light conditions and is excellent. Glad I bought it - money well spent.

Coop

I've been looking at getting a new rangefinder. This one sounds pretty good. Or I was looking at the vortex one as well.

Me too Justin, I think this is the one I am gonna end up with. Anyone know a good place (online) to purchase one at a reasonable price?

wapitibob

WKR
Cabelas 399 is the best you'll get on a 1000i TBR /DNA

Coop, glad you like it. I'm selling my new Leica 1600 and getting the 1000i.

I have seen several for 349.00. I use cabelas when I don't have time to get something anywhere else, their prices are ridiculous.

wapitibob

WKR
You'll want to read the fine print, the 349 models are without the TBR at every site I have been to. I would love to find one at that price. I will look some more.