Leupold 2.5-8x36 Question

bmicek

WKR
I recently purchased a Kimber Montana 280ai. My plans for hunting is whitetail, antelope, mule deer, and elk. But for now, 80% of my hunting will be whitetail.

I’d still like to set up this rifle as a “mountain rifle” so weight is a factor and so is eye relief. Every thread I read about mountain rifle optics, the VX3 2.5-8 is always recommended. Is this optic still a good option out to 400-450 yards?

My background is that I’ve always been more of a tactical shooter and I’ve shot in matches so shooting that distance is quite literally boring for me with my match rifles. But I have zero experience using a lower power optic and no dialing or holdover. Would it be ideal to find point blank range for the rifle and zero it at that, then learn the holdover for a 400 yard shot? (Ex. Hold top of back at 375 yards or whatever it would be). I’m not planning for a 450 yard shot, ideally would like to be under 200 for everything but I want to be comfortable with that shot if needed.

*Edit* And now after reading through this, maybe I shouldn’t even call it a mountain rifle. Maybe I should be calling it a dual purpose rifle. I’m a flat lander so bare with me on this topic. I’ve never hunted in a mountain setting.

Ronb

WKR
0fe2cbd06f58a242fb5e7fa45a96b4aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
This is my montana in .270win. I had the 2-8x36 then changed to the vx3i-10x40 boone and crockett. I wanted more light gathering in timber. Also great eye relief. I also had the talley rings fail on a hard fall. So I just upgraded to a leupold backcountry rail with seekins rings. The rifle still only weighs 6.5 lbs. I feel confident taking a 400yrd shot.

cbeard64

WKR
My background is just the opposite of yours. I have no tactical/long range background but have hunted for over 50 years. I have two lightweight rifles I use in the mountains and both wear Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40mm scopes (13oz) with a duplex reticle. My max range is 400 yards.

I use a variation of the MPBR method by sighting my rifles in 3” high at 100 yards. I then use the caliber/load ballistics to determine the holds at 100,200,300, and 400. I then check all this at the range and adjust accordingly. It’s a very simple method that works every time with no risk of misdialing, picking the wrong reticle line, etc. It’s also very quick in the field when an extra second or two might make the difference between success or coming home empty-handed. (Under 300 the holds are not critical but more like fine-tuning.)

Frankly, the advantages to this system for shooting under 400 make it clearly superior to any other method IMO.

Last edited:
I’ve shot my 338-06 Kimber with the same scope, although with the B&C reticle, out to 350 yards on steel. With mine being a ballistic turd compared to your 280, I think 400-450 is perfectly reasonable with practice. Learn your trajectory and practice hold overs, it’ll do just fine.

I have that scope and the Maven RS.2 2-10 with the SHR reticle that i prefer. Just another option.

My leupy 2.5-8 has a duplex, not sure what other reticle options are available

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
You should be able to still get the B&C reticle for that scope. My wife has that same scope on her .243 and it works well and is lightweight. You can dial in your B&C reticle to match the caliber by using the instructions. The instructions come with a table for the different calibers and lines for hold overs with wind marks as well. If you can shoot a decent amount and fine tune your caliber to the scope lines you will have no issues.

Your 2.5-8x36 is ideally matched to your rifle/cartridge and is probably about the best pure hunting scope made IMO.