Leupold 2.5-8x36 still worth it?

three5x5s

WKR
I really dig the lower end magnification on scopes, I just don’t care for Leupold reticles.

Please, list reticles you perfer on lower magnification scopes. And why. I have a 22 Hornet that needs a scope but has to be 1 inch tub and the Leupold 2.5X8 is a candidate.

Please, list reticles you perfer on lower magnification scopes. And why. I have a 22 Hornet that needs a scope but has to be 1 inch tub and the Leupold 2.5X8 is a candidate.
My choice is with nightforce, I really like their NXS line of low power scopes, 1-4x and 2.5-10. I’m a fan of their MOA reticles, but they don’t make those scopes anymore unfortunately. With that, I’ve moved to the NX8 line and have become acquainted with the 1-8x and 2.5-10x in this series.

OP
Newtosavage
I got one recently but haven't had a chance to give it any field use yet. I want to compare it to the VX3HD 3.5-10X40 (just over 13 oz) so I just bought one recently. Will likely compare it to the Vortex Razor 1.5-8 (just over 13 oz) as well. I'll report back on my thoughts.

OP, I realize this doesn't answer you question about the Leupold 2.5-8. I don't have any experience with this scope.

Another alternative to look at is the SWFA ultralite. I think that is like 9 or 10 ounces and less than $400 if I'm not mistaken.
Had the Ultralite. Wasn't impressed with the optics above 8x.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe the Leupold 2.5 x 8 is still an awfully good scope for the money but it is getting up there in price. I have owned a few of them and have never had any issues.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a few of the vx3i models that I really like. I’ve never had an issue with them but I had a vx1 and a vx compact that had to get sent back.

Shraggs

WKR
I’ve moved on from luepy too, had a bunch. My 2.5x8 went back 3 times for losing zero. That was in a kimber 84m in 308. Kicked a lot so there’s that. Sane with my slug gun whuch kicks even more - then my MZ wore the same optic that went back 2 times. They check a lot of boxes on paper tho.

My 3-9 trijicon accupoint is also light weight non dailing scope in my mind. Once I put those on the guns above never lost zero. But there pushing a grand.

If I’m looking for no frills, reliable and economy it’s swfa 6 fixed.

ETtikka

WKR
Here you go newtosavage,,

BHunter

FNG
Absolutely worth it. I listened to a Newberg podcast where he had one of the Leupold managers on. The manager said and I quote - " The Product Manager guys are gonna kill me for sayin this, but the 2.5-8 has the best light transmission of any scope we make".

KenLee

WKR
Absolutely worth it. I listened to a Newberg podcast where he had one of the Leupold managers on. The manager said and I quote - " The Product Manager guys are gonna kill me for sayin this, but the 2.5-8 has the best light transmission of any scope we make".
He's insane. Typical ignorant Leupy talking head

Macintosh

WKR
This was my last leupold scope. Like the rest, it came back from warranty service for a wandering zero and adjustments not working, and was sold as refurbed. Fantastic scope to look through, not as fantastic to shoot with.
This was the last I had, after having the exact same problems with several others in the past. Out of four, only one never had a problem. Never again, at least not until there is a demonstrated record of better reliability.
Its not perfect, but so far the credo 3-9 that replaced this one has been noticeably better in the adjusting and holding zero department, glass is just as good to my eyes, cost is within a few $ the same, and while it is a few oz heavier its still plenty light for me.
IMG_2425.jpeg

Another vote for the Maven 2-10x38. I can’t believe those scopes don’t get more love than they do. I’d rank mine above both my vxiii 2.5-8 and vx3 2.5-10. I’ve been told they have a short eye relief, but has not been an issue for me.