Leupold 3-9x40 American Marksman on sale

Guys, I just bought one of these on sale for $159 with free shipping from Bass Pro (I think Cabelas has them too), and it's as good as I had hoped.

Leupold American Marksman Rifle Scope | Bass Pro Shops

I love the LR Wind Plex reticle.

Looks like they (leupold) used some parts from their Redfield line (magnification ring and turret caps) and I was a bit concerned that this scope had the lower quality Redfield glass, but it doesn't. It's as sharp and bright as any Leupold I've ever used, and I've owned about 6 now.

I threw it on my 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini and was cranking out 2" groups at 300 yards within a half hour at the range yesterday. I wanted a lightweight scope for that Howa Mini, but also wanted 9x and a ballistic reticle. I don't see how you could do any better than this one.

Outstanding value in a scope with long range capability. Just thought I'd pass it along.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I read the same review. I have no experience with VX-2 glass, but I've owned several VX-1 scopes and several Vari-X ii scopes before those. The modern VX-1 scopes are much better than the old Vari-X ii scopes were, without a doubt. And the old Vari-X ii's weren't bad. They just weren't as bright or sharp edge to edge as the newer VX-1's.

Of all the VX-1's I've owned, the two 2-7x33's are the brightest and sharpest, but that's no surprise since they are only 7x at the high end.

I don't have a 3-9x40 VX-1 right now to compare this scope to, but from what I can recall, this image looks to my eyes very similar. If it's any better than the VX-1, then it's not by much. Although that's not a bad thing since IMO the VX-1's are awfully good and better than any other scope I've used in their price range.

This deal has me thinking seriously about replacing the silver Burris Fullfield II with BDC on my Tikka 7mm-08. Although that scope looks great on that stainless rifle, and produced a 2" group for me at 400 yards while in Colorado. So if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna "fix it" so to speak.

IMO the real bargain here is the reticle. It's even better than the normal LR reticle, which usually sells for $249 in a VX-1 3-9x40. I was about to send one of my 2-7x33's in to Leupold to have them put a LR reticle in it, until this sale came up. I'm glad I waited now. This scope is only one ounce heavier than my 2-7x33 and gives me 9x. Sweet!

don't forget to use active junky for an extra 10 percent off

use this invite if you want
Active Junky

also, to save even more use raise.com to get an extra 13 percent off eGift cards that you can use right away.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
FWIW, the ballistic reticle in this American Marksman shares the same first three dimensions as the regular Leupold LR reticle, with the 1st dot below the crosshair being 2.19 MOA, the second being 4.8 MOA and the third being 7.82. I was able to confirm this at the range today. It's a very useful reticle indeed.

This scope has a fourth dot that the regular VX-1 lacks and they put it where the lower post on the regular VX-1 LR reticle would have terminated. So I have no idea what the dimension of the lower post is on the American Marksman. Probably somewhere around 12 MOA? Just a guess. I forgot to measure that at the range today but I will next time out.

Zeroed at 200 yards, this reticle has the potential to offer a 600-yard aiming point. Not that I would use it on game but it would be fun at the range!