Leupold 4.5-14 VX3I???

Motown

WKR
Just curious who here has any experience with this particular scope, and I am referring to the 1” version without the SF or AO.

I like the idea of a one inch 13oz scope with the option of 14x, but I am a little hesitant of how clear it is at higher powers without a parallax adjustment. I am also a big fan of the B&C reticle as well that they offer in this model.

If anyone can chime in with the clairty of this particular scope at higher power it would be appreciated!

Forest

WKR
I have one with the cds. I'm not going to say its great, but I feel its pretty darn good for the money. That said its strictly a hunting scope for me, and don't use it at the full 14x a whole lot really. Its kind of weird, I find myself reaching for the parallax adjustment quite a bit on the scope that has it, but don't really even think about it with that leupold

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I had the pre-i version with the VH reticule from about 13 yrs ago on a nice .17 HMR. Parallax was horrible at longer distance and clarity was below a Vari-X II 4-12 x 40 I still own. I sent it to Leupold twice and they were not able to correct the issue. I finally sold it. Most disappointing scope I've ever owned, and I have 5 other VX3 4.5-14 x 40 scopes, all with the VH reticule...two are 30mm tube side focus and three are 1" tubes with AO. They are fine for my uses...sight in and shoot them on varmint rifles.

Last edited:
I generally used to run all VX3 3.5x10 and have switched to the 4.5x14. I've never needed the AO and find that in the field, less is more.

Ohearchai

FNG
Have the 30mm vx3i 4.5-14x40 with side parralax, grand hunting scope, everything seems to work well, eyebox isnt too finicky, has rhe windplex, zero stop, cds dials. Fairly lightweight, seems to track well enough, grand for a hunting rifle

Pointer

FNG
I have 6, for the money, tough to beat. I usually keep most optics on the higher magnification ranges, and no issues in low light up to 8, for me thats where it starts to get grainy, again in low light. During the day, shoot at 14 all day long. Light weight optic also.

JVigue90

FNG
Mine seems to be clear throughout the magnification range, haven't tried it in lower light yet, but i'm sure it will be just fine, for the price and the features you can get its a pretty sweet scope.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I have a vx-3i, and 2 vx-3 4.5-14's. The 3i and one os the vx-3's are 4.5-14x50 side focus 30mm tube models. The side focus is super nice and I find the feature useful as we have antler restrictions where I hunt, so you need to be able to closely inspect the antlers to stay legal. The other vx-3 is 4.5-14x40 cds with 1" tube. It is also a great scope if you don't need the ultra precise parallax adjustment. You get a nice picture with it, but I can see their eyelashes at 300 yards with the side focus. So as is true with all scopes, it sort of depends on your intended use which model will suit you best.

4.5-14x40mm Leupold Gold Ring scope - B&C reticle - AO

Love the scope and am extremely happy with it. Used it on my grizzly bear hunt last fall and it worked perfectly. I had complete confidence in it and that was the third season of using that scope on my 280AI. I love the B&C reticle. It is fast, works well, and is simple to use. I haven't messed much with the AO in the field or at the range to be honest. I set it at 150 yards which I understand is what most scopes are focused at wether fixed or variable. If I end up with another one down the road it won't have the AO.

David

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Eye box sucks. If you are going to be spinning turrets good luck with tracking. I can't believe they put a CDS on some of their scopes.
Agreed, not what you want for dialing but thats not I use mine for. I have always found the eye relief to be generous, not sure what you mean by the eyebox sucks. But they've always been clear and crisp and I've never had a bit of trouble out of any of mine. How many have you owned?

Elkhntr08

WKR
Have 3 of the 4-14 and 2 or the 3-10. The Vx-3i is one of the best scopes out there for the money. At higher end they are as clear as a Zeiss that I have.
They are not quite as clear as the VX5HD, but don’t cost as much.