Leupold and parallax

JNDEER

WKR
For those who have shot them how important would the adjustment be needed on the VX3i 4.5-14 using the B&C reticle when shooting at 500 yards?

The VX2 has the adjustment so it would make sense that it is probably something that is needed and most all other brand scopes in that price range of the VX3i have the adjustment.

I have read that you can be off several inches without the adjustment and have read others state that it will be negligible. I would like to believe that Leupold wouldn't put out this scope if you could not be consistent at longer ranges, but I have been reading conflicting accounts of general parallax information that would support the contrary.

I had one Leupold VX3 4.5-14 x 40 VHR one inch scope without the parallax adjustment about 8 years ago. Clarity sucked to my eyes and it had a lot of parallax on top of that at close or far range (OK at 100-150 yds). I even returned it to Leupold for adjustment but it wasn't any better so I sold it. On the other hand I have three of the identical 1" scopes but with parallax adjustment and like them just fine.......and like the two 30 mm scopes of the same spec with side parallax adjustment even better as they are superior optically to my eye. All 6 of the scopes were from the 2007-'11 era so not the latest "i" models.

Just as a side note, my old VX-II 4-12 x 40 fine duplex from about 2000 (can't remember) is optically OK without parallax adjustment and has minimal parallax at max power at 100 yds to infinity. I thought the 4.5-14X would be more of the same but it sure wasn't. So bottom line, I would't recommend a 14X scope from Leupold without parallax adjustment.

I borrowed a friends VX2 two years ago in 4-12 until I could get the scope I wanted. He had just bought the scope and had not mounted it yet. I really struggled with that scope not having parallax even trying to be the most consistent I could be with head position. Changed scopes when I got the one I wanted with parallax adjustment and the problem was gone. I think it's pretty foolish for a company to offer scoped in that magnification range with ballistic reticles and no parallax. 3-9 it works with fixed parallax but the higher power scopes 12 plus just don't.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks for the input dover. By struggled I assume you mean consistent groups at longer ranges? How far off were you hitting at longer ranges?

I never shot that far because I didn't have confidence my load was ready for extended range yet. I shot out to 300 and it was a difference of 3-4" on group size easy. I really just couldn't group well with it. Same load when scopes were switched was quite consistent and probably 1.5" group at 300 where before it was tough for me to call it a group at 5-6" when shooting 300 and making sure load is good before extending range. For a max of 300 hunting accuracy is probably good enough as long as you don't care if you hit center but are satisfied with a hit on a gong.