Leupold bx-4 10x42 or Athlon Cronus 8.5x42

Birddog1

FNG
As I mentioned in another thread, I just compared the Cronus G2 and the BX-4. I kept the Leupold. The biggest turn off for me on the Cronus is the spring loaded diopter. I found it to be very difficult to adjust without screwing up the focus. They are also longer and heavier. Plus that backwoods pursuit article mentions how the Cronus doesn't do as well in low light as the BX-4. Since I only hunt Ohio in woods that can be fairly low light, that’s a big factor for me.

Reactions: JVS
I agree here that everyone’s eyes are different. I had the G2 Cronus and liked the glass but could not get the eye cups to stay where I needed them to. I also had BX4’s and they had much better clicks on the eye cups.

The Leupold just felt like a better built bino. From a glass standpoint they seemed similar but I think Athlon glass is typically bright colors while the Leupold is made more for low light and glare.

Athlon has slightly better FOV if I recall as well but if they were the same price I would get Leupold or look for used Tract Toric as those are a significant jump without a huge price increase to my eyes.

ppt2211

FNG
I compared the BX-4 with Vortex Viper which are around the same price. BX-4 was way brighter and clearer.

260madman

WKR
I ordered my second set of Cronus 8.5x binocs yesterday. Completely happy with them and received a damn good deal from Camerland. Ordered an Athlon scope along with the binocs. Their Cronus spotter has been extremely nice to look through also. No complaints after a year with the spotter and binocs.

justchel

FNG
I realize this is an old thread but hopefully this can help others.

I've looked through the Cronus G1 8.5, and have used the Cronus G2 and BX-4 both in 10x42 side by side. The G2 improves on the G1 as its much lighter and brighter.

My comparison of the G2 vs BX4 was that image quality, coloring, and FOV were better on the G2, edge clarity was no contest as the G2 is sharp to the edges and the BX4 had significant edge blur, the BX4 was a tad brighter, and the G2 is slightly finicky with blackout.

Overall the G2 was optically superior, the focusing is perfectly smooth and precise, the diopter is centrally located with a spring loaded push button but is also precise and I've had no issue with it, the eye cups are fully in or out with no steps, it is made in China but so are iPhones. If the G2 fits you ergonomically, it's incredible for $500.

I love my Leupold BX-4s. I am running the 12x50s but they are significantly better than the vortex pair that I have used in the past.