Leupold BX-4 10x42 vs Maven B2 9x45

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I know that these two binoculars are in different classes $500 vs $1,000, but I'm looking for some advice on if it's worth saving up for the more expensive glass. I've heard great things about the Maven B2's and was pretty set on getting them, but then I kept hearing the Leupold BX-4's come up and for less than half the cost, they sounded like a good deal.

I primarily will use them for whitetail hunting in the east, but plan to go out west for mule deer and elk every other year. I'm tempted to save the money and put that towards other gear, but I'm also not afraid to invest in the right piece of equipment that will last a long time. Is there a noticeable difference between these two binoculars to justify the cost difference?

Rodéo

WKR
Demo the mavens directly from them and buy the leupold's froma retailer that is easy on returns and test both. A lot of guys on here have looked through both and will tell you what you want to hear on both sides but you won't really know how you feel about the extra $500 until you try them out.

^^^ this is good advice. Everyone’s eyes are different, if you can look through both to compare that’s the best. That being said I bought a pair of 9x B2s and have been blown away. They are kind of heavy and bulky but the glass quality is stellar and well worth the weight. Had no issue spotting a sow and cub at 2 miles off a tripod with them.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Exact comparison I am looking at for the exact same reason. I hate shipping/returning but may need to go that route.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
i want whatever fits my uses best. I’m a novice but don’t want to buy/sell continuously. I also live In the FL Keys so don’t think I need alpha glass for the 3 weeks I may use them but I’m not sure. They’ll also get used a few times a week on the archery range.

FL general hunting (hog/turkey), SC, Virginia, Ohio whitetail and general hiking, then Wyoming scouting and hunting mule deer and elk (every year to every other year). Those are the main uses.

my research had me at BX4 pro guide 10x42, Maven B2 9x45, Maven C1 10x42, Maven B1 10x42.

if I could find used B2 9x45 I’d consider it if that’s what I need. If the BX4 or C1 would fit my limited use I’d love to save the money.

I should have started my own thread at this point. Sorry for the high jack, hopefully this helps the OP too.

mlgc20

WKR
I agree with the above posters, that ideally you should try both and see what your eyes think. When I tried both, it really was a no brainer. Optically, the BX-4 was virtually the same as the B.2. So, I chose to save the money. I recently upgraded to the BX-5. It is closer in price to the B.2s. But, better performance IMO.

IMO, (and I've owned both), the 10x42 BX-4's are the better of the two (vs. the 8x42's) even though I normally prefer 8's for just about everything these days. I say that because the field of view on the 10's is more in line with what you see from other 10x42's. However, I don't believe the stated 7 degree field of view listed on the 8x42's. I've compared them side by side with Monarch 5's that were a stated 6.3 degrees (rather narrow for 8x42's) and they were an exact match from my measurements. So the 8's will give you a little bit of that "tube" effect.

That said, the BX-4 glass can hang with just about anything up to and including all the $1K bins I've owned, and they are made in Japan, which means (to me at least) less eye fatigue due to less distortion compared to MIC bins.

To me, the BX-4 10x42's are at least as good optically as the Maven C3's, but had a slightly wider field of view, better eyecups and better overall handling and build.

I would not own binoculars as large as the Maven B series, even though optically they are probably a tiny notch above the BX-4's and C3's. I just wouldn't enjoy carrying them around at all and would feel like they are always in the way. That is why I sold both pairs of Meopta Meostar 10x42's I've owned. Just too heavy for me to enjoy in the field. My upper limit for binoculars I'll carry on me, is around 24 oz. and 5.5" tall. Any larger and I notice them too much while I'm hunting.

The BX-5's (which I haven't seen) have better FOV specs than the 4's and I would try them against the B2's as well, esp. while they are on sale.

The shipping back and forth really is a small price to pay for what will be a very important investment in your hunting experience.

sndmn11

WKR
my research had me at BX4 pro guide 10x42, Maven B2 9x45, Maven C1 10x42, Maven B1 10x42.

if I could find used B2 9x45 I’d consider it if that’s what I need. If the BX4 or C1 would fit my limited use I’d love to save the money

Maven B1/B2 > Leupold BX4 > Maven C

The B2s have a flattened field, the others do not. The B2s are larger and heavier. I think if you want to spend $500-1000 get your choice of Maven B, if you want to spend under $500 get the Leupold BX4.

Agree with the post above. I was wrestling with this exact question when Maven was offering the discount because spring shows were canceled. B1 has a slight edge on the BX4 and I think there is a pretty big jump between the BX4 and C1. BX4 really is a great bino for the price, especially at the prices Midway was running.