Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide vs. Meostar HD

Happened to find myself in a Cabelas yesterday, and the young lady at the optics counter asked me if she could help me as I walked by. Never being one to pass up an opportunity to compare optics, I said sure. I asked her to let me see the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide and the Cabelas/Meopta Meostar HD - both in 10x42. Then I spent a little time comparing the two because although I've owned them both, it wasn't at the same time.

As I expected, the BX-4 held up just fine vs. the Meostar. In fact, it was brighter and every bit as sharp. The only thing the BX-4 gave up was a small amount of field of view. That's it. It also gave up about 10 oz. in weight to the club-like Meostar. I walked away knowing if I had to pick one or the other again someday and price was not a consideration, I'd still take the BX-4 without hesitation even at 1/2 the cost.

Your needs and eyeballs may be different than mine, but I'm telling you folks, those BX-4's are just outstanding for the money. There is nothing in their price range that can hang with them. Nothing really even that close. I might just have to snag another pair of the 10x42's before they discontinue them and/or begin having them made in China.

Drenalin

WKR
Good to hear the positive reviews on these keep coming. I ordered the BX-4s a little over a week ago from LockedLoaded.com for under $400 shipped. Now if they'd just get here! I know the Leupold name has been around forever, but it seems like they don't come up nearly as often as a few others in bino discussions around here. It was a little bit of a leap of faith for me to put in the order, hope they're worth it!

Fatcamp

WKR
I don't think the Cabela's Meoptas are the same any longer. We stopped in and looked through binoculars following a long weekend of glassing and the Cabela's branded Meostar were not comparable to what I had just spent 4 days looking through. I believe that strongly enough to buy new Meostar 15X56 rather than even consider used Cabela's branded stuff. Regardless the savings.

Others have reported similar observations.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Lots of binos seem the same in a well lit store.
Yup. That's true. But in dimly lit corners when they post an eye exam chart literally across the store... you can tell quite a bit. ;)

I expected the BX-4's to be just as sharp. My copy of 10x42's resolved all the detail my eyes can see, and I have 20/10 vision. But what surprised me was that they were noticeably brighter than the Meostars when viewed side-by-side.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I don't think the Cabela's Meoptas are the same any longer. We stopped in and looked through binoculars following a long weekend of glassing and the Cabela's branded Meostar were not comparable to what I had just spent 4 days looking through. I believe that strongly enough to buy new Meostar 15X56 rather than even consider used Cabela's branded stuff. Regardless the savings.

Others have reported similar observations.
Sadly, I'm not sure I trust Cabelas branded anything now that they are owned by Bass Pro.

My Leupold BX-2 Tiogas I'd take over Tier 1 Vortex in a heartbeat for 1/3 the cost. Maybe it's luck, but my eyes love Leupold glass, and it's all I run. True to color, my glass is bright even when to my eyes outside it's dark. Probably won't gain anything until upgrading to Swaros, if I ever do.

manitou1

WKR
I purchased both to do a comparison and keep what I felt was the best bang. The Meostars won out... by a long shot.
These were compared outdoors in variable lighting and weather conditions. Also tried the new Burris binos... which were about on par with the Leupys.

Beendare

WKR
A buddy has the Leopolds....those are good lenses in those....I was impressed. They are one of the best values out there.

They are lighter becuase they are a cheaper build than the Meoptas....if you baby them...they should serve you well.

———-