Leupold BX-4 VS BX-5

I’ve narrowed down the binoculars I want to one of these two in a 10x50; however, I can’t decide between the BX-4’s or the BX-5’s. To my understanding the performance is pretty comparable, and the main difference is build quality. I know both are built well, but the BX-5’s I believe have better internal components.

Do y’all think the BX-5’s are worth the extra money, if optical performance is pretty close to the same?

ChrisAU

WKR
I actually prefer the diopter lock/control of the BX-4 on the bridge to the BX-5 on the right eyepiece because my eyes are very different right vs left and there is no chance I'll accidentally turn the diopter.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I had a pair of 10x BX5s and didn’t care for them against similar priced 10x binos. I do like the BX4s for the price. Haven’t compared head to head though.

If you are willing to pay the price for 5s look at Nikon HGs too I would recommend.

mlgc20

WKR
I ran the BX-4s for the past couple of seasons in 10x50. I really liked them and think they are the best in class glass at the price. I then moved to the BX-5s in 10x50 and in 15x56. The BX-5s have a better FOV and appeared brighter to me in low light. When the BX-5s were originally brought to market, they were priced like SLCs. They aren’t that good. But now that they are done to $1K I think they are a great deal. Optically, they are on par with everything else in that price range. But, ergonomically I think the BX-5s are better. The rubbered armor felt much better to me than the “plastic“ feel from some of the other brands. Of course, ergonomics are subjective.

I appreciate the feedback. I guess thats my hangup is is you can find 10x42 SLC's for $1300 - $1400. I feel like the SLC's are still better optically than say 12x50's BX5.

mlgc20

WKR
I appreciate the feedback. I guess thats my hangup is is you can find 10x42 SLC's for $1300 - $1400. I feel like the SLC's are still better optically than say 12x50's BX5.
I hear you. I have the 10x50s. I strongly prefer the 10x50 size over the 10x42. Even the SLC. At some point, I will need to just man up and get the EL 10x50.

Damn so no one has experience between the BX-4 and newer BX-5 binos??
I have a lot of experience with the BX-4's but have only handled the BX-5's once. The difference is more than just build quality. The BX-5's will have a wider field of view - which is the only thing I really found lacking in my BX-4's, and a little better edge sharpness.

But mostly what you're paying for is the wider FOV

GarrettA

FNG
Did a ton of research and went with the BX-4 in 12x50. with what I read online I wasn't sure if the price difference was worth the performance difference. I love the BX-4s and im very happy with them if this helps. They are easy to handle and the glass is great!

Agar426

FNG
I'm actually a big Leupold fan, and have had a pair of original Mojaves in 10x42 around my neck for the past dozen years. They have been rock solid, and have taken a beating. Their performance hasn't degraded, despite being rained on, laid on during a prone shot, potato chips falling into the lens (forgot to take them off during lunch!), etc. That being said, I have decided to upgrade my binos. The reason being, I had the misfortune of spending a lunch hour glassing through a pair of Swarovskis while my hunting partner was napping, and I realized that I was missing some detail during mid-day glassing in the shadows, etc. Any pair of binos will pick up an elk in the middle of the field.

I have looked through both the BX-5s as well as the BX-4s. I feel the BX-5s are superior in almost every way, with the exception of "user friendliness." In other words, for me, it was pretty easy to find the sweet spot on the BX-4s, whereas the BX-5s were a little tougher.....perhaps enough so to be annoying during a panic situation where you only have a moment to view a buck running into the trees. The BX-5s were definitely better once dialed in. Also, the build quality on the BX-5s is better, not that the others are bad. One thing Iliked about the BX-4s is they are more compact, and a little easier to handle.

Summing up.....I think the BX-4s are a better bang for the buck than the BX-5s. As mentioned earlier, BX-5s are getting awfully close to the new SLC price point. Another wrinkle....this past weekend, I was able to look through the BX-4 and Burris Signature HDs, both in 10x42. Honestly, for $50 less, I think I liked the Burris just as well as the BX-4s, and they "felt" like a higher end piece of glass than what their price would indicate. Super smooth focus (Zeiss Conquest feel), good ergos, nice looking. The only thing I didn't like about the Burris was the the center hinge, while being super smooth, and felt like high quality movement, it was a little "too easy" to move, but it didn't prove to be a factor.

Last edited:

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I own 8x42 BX-4 and 12x50 BX-5. I was recently on a hunt where a buddy had his 12x50 BX-4, so I was able to compare both 12s side by side. Having done so, I would have bought the BX-4. The BX-5 just wasn’t significantly more impressive to justify the price difference. But... I did get my BX-5 for a screaming deal. So I’m not sure whether I would do it again. But the BX-4 are dang good for the money, in my 8x42 and his 12x50. I would assume the 10s are also real good for the money.

Rail505

FNG
Juat now getting into hunting and slowly aquiring all the necessary gear. I bought the bx-4’s 2 months ago. Been using them all around town and going to the mesa in the desert behind my house to glass up the city and the desert looking for critters and picking up people jogging between half a mile and 1 1/2 miles away. I am blown away by the brightness, clarity and detail i am able to see through these. I have never looked through “real” bino’s before, just the $20 ones from the W store so that is the only binoculars i can compare them to. The only other glass i have good “eye time” behind is a Trijicon Acog but i would consider that more of a low power spotting scope since its only one eye. I too was hard pressed on passing up the bx-5’s for the 4’s but i am now glad i did since i am sure the bx-4’s are enough for now.
I would eventually like to purchase a new set of 10x42 EL’s but that is a few years down the line for sure. Also seeing i could buy these bx-4’s and a sx-4 for the price of one bx-5 was another factor in buying them.