Leupold Bx-4

Hey everyone,

I am looking at upgrading my binoculars this year. I mainly hunt whitetail with the occasional western trip every few years. I am looking at Leupold BX4 10x42. If anyone has any experience with them, good or bad, any feedback is much appreciated!

Might want to move this over to the optics section, but you will generally hear very good things about them for their price tag

I had the 12x50’s and they are awesome. I purchased them after comparing them to my Viper HDs. It wasn’t even close…They are Made in Japan. Most of the competition in that price range is made in china, including the Vortex Vipers and Razors, if that matters to you at all. I upgraded to 15x56 Santiams, but am thinking about grabbing another pair of the BX4’s for those times when I don’t want to lug the 15’s.

OP
Stevendearden
I had the 12x50’s and they are awesome. I purchased them after comparing them to my Viper HDs. It wasn’t even close…They are Made in Japan. Most of the competition in that price range is made in china, including the Vortex Vipers and Razors, if that matters to you at all. I upgraded to 15x56 Santiams, but am thinking about grabbing another pair of the BX4’s for those times when I don’t want to lug the 15’s.
I have looked through both the Vipers and Bx-4 and the Bx-4's are much clearer in my opinion as well. The vipers hurt my eyes just looking through them outside the store.

Did you notice a big difference between the BX-4 and the Santiams to justify the price difference?

There is a noticeable improvement all around in the Santiams. This is true for a lot of things, but particularly with optics, the law of diminishing returns applies. Particularly once you get to the BX4’s - they punch way above their weight class. Having said that, I ran my 15x56 santiams next to some 12x42 swaro NL Pures for a week and not once did I regret going with the Santiams…not sure why they don’t get more love. I know it isn’t apples to apples, but They are phenomenal. But, If they made 15x56’s in the BX4 Proguides I would have gone that route and saved some money.

Gone4Days

WKR
Made in Japan, great low light performance and locking diopter for less than $400 used. What’s not to like?

Oregonboy

WKR
I have them and love them. I think they’re quite a bit of glass for the money. If you keep your eye out, you may be able to find some BX5s used for around $500-$550, I’ve seen that deal a few times on this site.

Drenalin

WKR
I like mine for the same uses you've described, and was able to find them for just under $400 new. I don't think that deal exists any more, but you might get lucky if you're patient. In addition to what others have said, I love the ergonomics of the open hinge design as well as the relatively light weight. My only gripe with them is the eye cups are little bulky for me personally - but it's not a deal breaker, and in that price range I'd buy them again.

They are great for the price. I use them now and had the pinnacles before them. Both worked really well for me. Eye cups are not my favorite on them, but it seems most binos in that price range use the same style.

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 10x42 bx-4 daily for about 3 years, and loved them. The view is sharp, and bright. They are light weight at 24oz and very compact for a 10x42. Build quality is good (They may be the only sub $500 10x42 that is made is Japan?). The locking diopter on the focus wheel and open hinge design are nice features that you usually don't see at this price point. The only con I can think of is the FOV is less than average for a 10x42. It wasn't until I got a Meopta Meostar and a Leica UVHD, that I felt the bx-4 was lacking anything. Granted, those binoculars should be better, at double to four times the cost. When comparing side by side, the meostar and especially the UVHD have noticeably better contrast and color saturation that give them a "pop" that the bx-4 lacks.

Keep an eye on the optics classifieds here, I just sold mine for well under $300 (they were very well used), but they come up fairly often for around $400 in excellent condition.

Last edited:

Birddog1

FNG
I just sent you a message, I have a pair I’ve been meaning to sell. Like new. Only selling because I ended up with a pair of Tract Torics.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Not to steal the thread but been looking to (potentially) upgrade from my Maven C1s (10x). Been looking at the BX4 and the Maven B6....worth it? Mostly for Midwest whitetail, archery elk, rifle mulies.

I ended up with a pair of bx5 12x50 and had a set of bx4 10x42 in my hands for a couple days as leupold accidentally sent me 2 pairs after some warranty work. They requested 1 pair back. If it wasn't for the higher price tag and wanting 12s I would've kept those 10x42. I asked them what they would sell to me for (since I already had em)... but they wanted more for them than at the store. Anyway, I was blown away with how nice the glass was as well as the size. I really liked the diopter adjustment and the eye cups on the bx4 better than bx5. I has a set of bx4 12x50 and liked the diopter and eye cups more than the bx5 12x50 but the glass just wasn't as good. At 10x42 range though I would have NO apprehension going bx4.... and plan to get a set. My brother has 12x50 razor hd and he was super impressed and asked me to watch for a pair too. Still using monarch hd at the moment but keeping an eye out for some bx4 10x42.....

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
i know this is all personal preference. My experience with them is they are the best glass up to $1000. to my eyese the Bx4HD 8x42 they were better than the following i compared them with. yes not all were the same magnification.
Bx5 Santium HD 10x42
Vortex Viper HD 10x42
Vortex RAzor HD 8x42
Maven b1 10x42

i would put them on par with my zeiss conquest HD. Were my swaro SLC 10x42 and 8x42 better yes as well as my EL 8.5x42 but for the price point they preformed damn well.

again my eyes liked what i saw.

i know this is all personal preference. My experience with them is they are the best glass up to $1000. to my eyese the Bx4HD 8x42 they were better than the following i compared them with. yes not all were the same magnification.
Bx5 Santium HD 10x42
Vortex Viper HD 10x42
Vortex RAzor HD 8x42
Maven b1 10x42

i would put them on par with my zeiss conquest HD. Were my swaro SLC 10x42 and 8x42 better yes as well as my EL 8.5x42 but for the price point they preformed damn well.

again my eyes liked what i saw.

This 100%

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of bx-4hds that I bought in 2019 or so. Glad was incredible but fov is very tight to others and the eye cups move constantly. Recently I've had some trouble getting them focused. I hope it's not my eyes. I was thinking of sending them in, they've got some scratches now after years of hard use. I wouldn't hesitate buying a new pair but I don't have experience with higher end glass.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of bx-4hds that I bought in 2019 or so. Glad was incredible but fov is very tight to others and the eye cups move constantly. Recently I've had some trouble getting them focused. I hope it's not my eyes. I was thinking of sending them in, they've got some scratches now after years of hard use. I wouldn't hesitate buying a new pair but I don't have experience with higher end glass.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk
I have heard this before. I actually experienced them on the BX5 and not my BX4's. I had Leupold warrenty them before i sold them.

2blade

WKR
I had a pair of 8x42 and 10x42. The fov is over stated, they weigh more than they claim. The view is on par with the razor and they control ca as well as the slc. But, one night I sat down on my back porch as the sun was going down and was glassing deer a mile away or so in the alfalfa fields. I also had my 8x32 conquests. In my eyes the conquests were the winner. Clearer, brighter, and sharper image.; not by much but I could see a difference. For the price tho, they are the best in that category.

Voyageur

WKR
Reviving this thread...
Looking at picking up a pair of BX-4's in 12x50 mag. Any suggestions as to Rokslide sponsors to check with?
Thanks.