Leupold BX-5 worth upgrade over BX-4?

Looking for some opinions on this for my situation from some of you eye-philes. I have BX-4s in 8x42 10x42 and 12x50. I was thinking about bumping my 10x42s up to BX-5s since those are what I carry 75% of the time, but from what I gather the glass is nearly identical on both. Ive read a thread about the comparision, but Id like an opinion on a more specific situation. I like everything about the BX-4. I even prefer the diopter locking on the center focus. Ive had them since they came out and have never had any issues with them, or question their build quality. But if we are removing build quality and ergonomics, is the glass on its own really going to be worth the upgrade from the 4 to 5?

I prefer an open bridge design, I glass often with 1 hand and for me the open bridge is much easier to hold steady. I also only hunt with a bow. Its either going to be sticking with the BX-4, or the BX-5. If the Maven B1.2 had an open center bridge, Id likely go that route. And GPO is interesting but I prefer keeping it to a more compact optic. If at any point I go all out, itll likely be the Noctivid 10x42, but for now its between the BX-4 and 5. Anyone have any experience and/or recommendation between those 2 optically only?

I had a pair of BX4 12x50’s and upgraded to some BX-5 15x56’s. The Santiams are really really good. I just got back from an elk hunt with a buddy who runs the new swaro NL pure 12x42s. One evening he says he sees an elk under a tree about 2000 yds away during the last few minutes of shooting light. I pull up my binos and can clearly see it is a rock. I hand him my santiams and he is pissed - his comment was mine are just as clear and I have an extra 3x.

I know it isn’t an apples to apples comparison, but the BX5’s are really really good. I don’t know why they don’t get more love. Way better than Vortex Razors and everything else I have compared them to outside of the Swaro NL Pures.

Once again, not apples to apples, but the Santiam glass is an obvious improvement over the Proguides in my experience. I don’t regret paying the extra money for them. Honestly after spending hours this last week looking through the NL Pures, I don’t feel underglassed at all with my Santiams.

Last edited:
I had the opposite experience.Unbelievable eye strain,no locking diopter,horrible eye cups..Constantly refocusing.I kept them a couple of hunts and returned them. I really wanted to like them but was severely disappointed. I do not own alpha glass but see a lot better glass for the mon ey.