Leupold CCH Reticle - Will it perform in lower light conditions?

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm giving a strong look at the Leupold VX-3i LRP 8.5-25x50 30mm FFP CCH Side focus scope (179069). As you may know, the VX-3i LRP series has been discontinued, but I'm looking to buy new from an online seller (IMO, it's a good scope for long range shooting and hunting, based on what I've read, at a very reasonable price point). For my current build, it feels like it's a solid option.

Here's my question - for those who have experience, or even if you don't maybe you have a friend with experience with the CCH reticle - I'm really interested to know how the CCH reticle performs in lower light conditions. I'm not talking about dark, but first/last light type hunting situations. I use this rifle for hunting and doing some long(er) range shooting (longest I'll shoot is about 600). I've read on snipershide and another online resource that it didn't do great in low light, but I don't have a lot of insight into exactly what they meant by that. I get the sense that the reticle is too faint, especially in lower light conditions at high magnification, but I'm just reading into it. I'd greatly appreciate some feedback on the CCH reticle. Thanks -

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would say with that glass and FFP reticle and no illumination it will likely not meet your standards.

I run an MK5 with CCH and at low power in low light the crosshair is too fine, but the big arrows on the outside are the saving grace.

I had the vx3lrp and glass was OK, but I sold it. Wasn't clear enough for my long range purposes.

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
I also have the cch on mk5 and it’s very fine at low magnification. I would look at the new reticle they just came out with. It’s way less busy than the cch. The tmr illuminated is probably a better bet for low light.