Leupold Full Draw 5 reviews?

3forks

WKR
I thought’d ask about the Leupold Full Daw 5 in the archery forum rather than optics, since this rangefinder is primarily a bow specific product.

I didn’t see too many reviews for the Full Draw 5, and I’m wondering if anyone has any feedback on it.

I have a 1200 TBR that is failing, and Leupold will sell me a Full Draw 5 for $270 because the 1200 is out of warranty.

I’m wondering if it makes more sense to put the $270 into a higher end range finder (Leica / Sig), or for the $270 is the Full Draw 5 with its archery specific functions worth it for a archery specific range finder.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Ucsdryder

WKR
A leupold rangefinder failing…shocker.

I would 100% go vortex or sig. the high vortex are nice and have lifetime warranties.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I had the original TBR 1000 for what seemed like a couple decades before it took it's last range.
Just picked up the new FullDraw 5 and so far so good. I have not got to test accuracy in severe slopes yet but should soon.
Just the fact that we finally have a archery ballistic calculator in a RF is fantastic. I will start a post in the archery forum as I learn more about the unit.

OP

3forks

WKR
I had the original TBR 1000 for what seemed like a couple decades before it took it's last range.
Just picked up the new FullDraw 5 and so far so good. I have not got to test accuracy in severe slopes yet but should soon.
Just the fact that we finally have a archery ballistic calculator in a RF is fantastic. I will start a post in the archery forum as I learn more about the unit.
Thanks, Tony.

I ordered one and am interested to see how well the archery specific functionality built into the range finder translates into performance and ease of use.

wayoh22

WKR
Couldn't recommend it more. Have used it 3 TAC's this year and has performed flawlessly. You don't have to use Archer's Advantage if you don't have access to a chrono which is nice but to see the apex of your arrow when you range is a dandy feature that has saved me a few times.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Fulldraw 5. I use it at TAC events and it will save you a few deflections if you pay attention. I also love it for out West for those steeper angles and slopes. I used to be die hard Leica, and they make a great rangefinder, but I like the Leupold the best out of all I've owned.

Zac

WKR
Love my Fulldraw 5. I use it at TAC events and it will save you a few deflections if you pay attention. I also love it for out West for those steeper angles and slopes. I used to be die hard Leica, and they make a great rangefinder, but I like the Leupold the best out of all I've owned.
How does the cut feature work for you? This is really the only reason I would buy one.

Has anyone had any issues? The 2 year warranty concerns me for the price. I got burned 15 years ago on a leupold rangefinder once they wouldn't cover it a few days out of warranty.

Seems to be the best thing going tho, it's been tempting me for a while for field shoots.

Cut feature? I'm not familiar with this term.

That's the term for the calculated distance.

Shooting downhill you need to know how much yardage to cut for the angle and distance. Most rangefinders just do the geometry to give the flat ground distance conversion of what would be the hypotenuse of the triangle that it's actually shooting.

The FD5 uses AA software that is more accurate in producing actual cuts for your setup.

Use to be everyone carried a cutchart in their quiver, now its mostly just depend on what your rangefinder says.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, we never called them "cut" charts, so that is why I wasn't familiar with the term.

On the rangefinder doing the work, so far it is spot on, provided you input the correct data. I messed up when first setting mine up and it was always off and I did not understand why until I got all my parameters correct. If you follow the instructions and know the exact correct data for each field, it has been dead on for me. Works very well. When I shot TAC this year, most guys I shot with had angle compensated rangefinders, none of which had the AA software, and they NEVER once agreed with my yardage. But I shot what it said and if I held decent, it was spot on for me.

Reactions: Zac
leupold has never really put out a product that I've been excited about. Their Deltapoint(pistol red dot) had been the only product that I've actually liked.
For range finders .. I've been using a Bushnell 1200 arc or whatever for 10 years without failure except a new battery every 2 years wanna say it was $275 when I bought it. it's spot on a few hundred out even though I rarely use it beyond 70 yards

I've heard good stuff about Mavin and Sig options

Last edited:

CB4

WKR
Call me crazy but I bought a used fulldraw 4. Durability has been great, no issues getting wet during rain storms. The cuts have been spot on for me both up and downhill. I have tested in on 35 degree inclines both up and down over 70 yards.

I have debated selling it for a Sig 5k so I can get a BDX scope for the rifle as well and connect directly to it.

I have debated selling it for a Sig 5k so I can get a BDX scope for the rifle as well and connect directly to it.

I've never used the sig BDX but I've synced a sig range finder via bluetooth enough to know that it's a terrible idea. Watching Corey Jacobson air mail some bullets over an elk and hearing about the snafus at the sig competition dealio with them is just icing on the cake.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't bought the FD5 yet but I will be. I currently am using the FD4 and it has been flawless at all of the TAC's and other Mountain shoots I've used it at. I think 6 different mountain 3D shoots now.

Yoder

WKR
Are there any range finders that work when it's a little foggy? If there is any my Bushnell won't range a tree ten yards away.

josef

FNG
Are there any range finders that work when it's a little foggy? If there is any my Bushnell won't range a tree ten yards away.
There are LRFs that have a fog mode. It just cuts out returns that are really short (shorter than 50 yards or so) which is what you will typically see when its foggy.