Leupold FX-1 4x28 rimfire opinions

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard that some of the Leupold fixed power models have been excellent scopes, even for demanding users. But I know that not all fixed power scopes are created equal - does anyone here have any feedback on the Leupold FX-1 4x28 Rimfire scope? It is in the same price range as the big and heavy SWFA 6x42, which I am certain is a tougher scope, but I prefer the smaller size and lower magnification of the 4x on a rimfire. Is this scope worth considering? I appreciate any thoughts you guys might have to share.

TomJoad

WKR
I own one that I’ve used on a 22lr CZ. It’s a nice small scope. Good eye relief and has been consistent.

not sure what your planning for use but I certainly wouldn’t on an elk or deer level center fire. I don’t believe they are built to manage that recoil. Someone in the industry chime in if I’m off base here.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have one on a CZ 452. Delightful setup. Zero issues. Warne rim fire mounts.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold recoil tests all optics regardless of branding names like "rimfire." The aforementioned FX1 4x28mm is tested just the same as a VX6 or Mark 8.

TomJoad

WKR
Leupold recoil tests all optics regardless of branding names like "rimfire." The aforementioned FX1 4x28mm is tested just the same as a VX6 or Mark 8.
Marty, This is really interesting info. I'd been told by others that rimfire scopes would potentially not hold up to the recoil offered by high power centerfire rifles. Do you mind elaborating on how you got this information? Do you work for Leopold or the optics industry? Not trying to slight you, but there is a TON of mis-information on forums. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am not in the industry and do not have first hand knowledge about this, just working heresay and rumors and bias towards being cautious when pushing my equipment.

I've got a lightweight hunting rig I wouldn't mind putting this fixed 4x stop on if thats the case, It weighs almost nothing and 4x power is plenty for the <300 distances I hunt!

Last edited:

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
You're asking the right questions. As for my credentials, I do not work for, am endorsed, or profit in any way from pushing Leupold. Based on my experience, I feel they produce a superior product. For the sake of a public forum, I'd like to leave it with this: I am a military user of Leupold products.

I would encourage you to call 1-800-LEUPOLD and talk with a customer service representative. Best you hear it from them than from keyboard warriors.

rayporter

WKR
the same is true of leupold scopes marked as focused to 50 yd for muzzle loading or rimfire. they can set the parallax on any scope to any distance you wish. it wont hurt a thing to put the scope on some other centerfire. the BS goes on forever.

there are folks that used to say a rimfire rifle was harder on a scope than a centerfire. so the scope had to be stronger.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
I've had one on a Ruger 77/22 for over 20 years. It has been problem free. It spent the last 6 months on a Ruger 77/357 with no issues after several hundred rounds of heavy 357 mags. Good little scope for a rimfire or compact rifle.

TxxAgg

WKR
I have this exact scope on a Marlin 30-30. Works great. It handles recoil fine...only difference is parallax is set to 60 yds instead of 100ish.