Leupold glass clarity

Opah

WKR
Looking seriously at purchasing the

Leupold VX-3HD Rifle Scope - 4.5-14x40mm - Boone & Crockett​

with the LED red dot and illumination to put on my Browning BAR Hog rifle.
It sells for around $700.00, for me that is a chunk of change, and I really want to get my moneys worth. There seems to be a pack of scopes right in this price range all claiming to have the superior clarity in optics.
Then there are the digital HD recording scopes looks cool but what do I want to hunt or the take video, Hunting for sure ok forget the digital.

Marble

WKR
I prefer them to my vortex scopes but that's me. If you have a store near you that sells a few different scopes, you should go look through them and see what looks best to you.

My success with killing anything hasn't been altered between the two brands. I know you didn't ask about Vortex but it's the only thing I can compare it to in the price range you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I bought and sold a vx-3i. Have no experience w the hd. I was disappointed w the 3i due to it not holding as tight a group as an old vx-2. 1 inch at 250 w vx-2, closer to 3 inches w vx-3i. Uh nope.

got a diamondback last year and for $200 it kicks ass. With a red dot. It would work well in low light. Diamondback will hold an inch at 225.

My scopes include Leica and that one basically sees in the dark. Just plain overkill for most of my hunting.

If you are shooting 100 yards or less a regular red dot will do just fine. I have a few of those too. Shoot em out to 150 wo magnification.

I would not spend $700 on an illuminated dot scope.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Care to elaborate on your rationale?
You can shoot pigs at 300 yards, which in Cal. rolling hills is a long shot, for far less than $700. He did mention $700 is a chunk of change for him. He can buy nice scopes for far less $$$$$$$$. They are just pigs after all.

2muchhp

WKR
I have a few of the vx freedom 4x12 and so forth. I picked them up for $250ish. There fine for me , I'm in Northern Michigan, hunt in the woods not corn or bean fields.

Jimss

WKR
I'm not 100% but you may want to check out scope regs in the state you are hunting? Some states may not allow illuminated scopes?

It won’t be illuminated, but I picked up a vx5 in the summer for around $720 new. It’s a much better scope than my vx3i. Not sure the difference in the 3i and 3HD, but the vx5 is a big improvement.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
  • VX-FREEDOM 3-9X50 ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER
  • This is in the 500s

vx-freedom_3-9x50_30mm_illum._177228_p-1_1.png

OP
O

Opah

WKR
Now I have one of these but it wont hold the sight on my BAR, it worked great on the BOSS.
I think some thing happened to it, going to send it in for a check up.
71wZpadlArL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Vortex Optics Crossfire II 3-12x56 Adjustable Objective Hog Hunter, Second Focal Plane, 30mm Tube Riflescope - V-Brite Illuminated Reticle , black Now we are in the 300s
I was totally happy with the first one until i swapped it from the BOSS to the BAR, I remember the first shoot I heard a twanng, thought it was the brass hitting some thing when it was ejected.

Spoonbill

WKR
Looking seriously at purchasing the

Leupold VX-3HD Rifle Scope - 4.5-14x40mm - Boone & Crockett​

with the LED red dot and illumination to put on my Browning BAR Hog rifle.
It sells for around $700.00, for me that is a chunk of change, and I really want to get my moneys worth. There seems to be a pack of scopes right in this price range all claiming to have the superior clarity in optics.
Then there are the digital HD recording scopes looks cool but what do I want to hunt or the take video, Hunting for sure ok forget the digital.
Take a look at the trijicon accupoint. I have a 4.5-14 vx3i and a 3-9 accupoint and in terms of clarity the trijicon is a better scope. I think the 3-9 retails around for 500 and has a tritium dot so you don’t have to rely on batteries.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
If you are after low light perfomance, which I assume you are for hogs, then I just tested 3 scopes at twilight to dark out in the woods where I hunt. vx5hd 42mm - vx3hd 36mm - swaro z3 42mm. All 3 scopes were nearly identical in last light resolution of my target. The Swaro was typically considered the benchmark for low light comparisons and probably not so anymore. If this helps.

Ignore the derogatory hog hunting remarks. They are just jealous!

Last edited:
I used the Vx3HD 4.5-14x50 this last fall. It was the best low light scope I’ve ever used. I could see very clearly for 20+ min before and after shooting light most days. The glass was super clear (to my standards). I shot a whitetail at 20 yards at first light, and an Antelope at 550 nearing last light. Zero issues with it

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If you are after low light perfomance, which I assume you are for hogs, then I just tested 3 scopes at twilight to dark out in the woods where I hunt. vx5hd 42mm - vx3hd 36mm - swaro z3 42mm. All 3 scopes were nearly identical in last light resolution of my target. The Swaro was typically considered the benchmark for low light comparisons and probably not so anymore. If this helps.

Ignore the derogatory hog hunting remarks. They are just jealous!
I hate wild pigs. Well except when I shoot one and get to eat it. Then I love um. I use to hate it till I ate it.

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned a lot of different Leopold scopes for over 30 years. I have been extremely happy with all of them the clarity has been great. I only bought one vortex pretty dissapointed in that. I’m a believer in leupold scopes but haven’t had that specific model. I have owned scopes from a lot of different manufacturers and really overall if the price is equal leupold has been the most consistently good scope for me.

Leupold has the best coatings for low light. I compared my VX5HD to my Zeiss Conquest V4 and the Leupold won out.

Leupold makes exceptional rifle scopes for hunting.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
On the Hunt for a
  • VX-FREEDOM 3-9X50 ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER
Time to start calling individual gun shops, one store at a time, start the nearest to the farthest.
May have to look at Nevada and Arizona,
I am on the notify me when this scope is available on All online sources I could source
Well after having Turners out doors check inventory in all there stores in Ca and AZ to fiond out they have -1 in stock I went to Leupold them selves.
Hoping they will work with me on finding a dealer with the scope or they can sell me one?

Last edited: