Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 versus Razor HD 13-19x56 spotter

idahodave

WKR
They occupy similar space in the spotting scope world. Anyone with hands-on experience with these two that can offer up some thoughts/differences between them?

I think I'm most interested in "image quality" given the similar price-points, size, weight, warranty, etc.

Many thanks for your time.

Dave

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Leupold for me by a lot. Most of my experience is with the Mark 4 variant.

I am sensitive about eye relief and the largest difference between them is in eye relief- I hate smashing my eye/face into the eyepiece to get a full view. The ease of use with eye position, eye relief, eye piece diameter, etc., is all better on the Leupold.

OP
idahodave

idahodave

WKR
Appreciate the feedback. I’ve had a couple of the Loopy HDs and my experiences are similar.

I just don’t have any frame of reference with the new Razor. I’ll likely go back to what I know with the Loopy as it’s a more proven commodity for me.

Just thought I’d check in and see if folks have had a chance to compare the two.

Dave

Tahoe1305

WKR
I liked the eye relief of the GR spotter. But for the the one I had the focus and zoom was pretty tough to manipulate. I even sent it in. Didn’t help.

OP
idahodave

idahodave

WKR
I liked the eye relief of the GR spotter. But for the the one I had the focus and zoom was pretty tough to manipulate. I even sent it in. Didn’t help.

I would agree that is the primary weakness of the GR spotter. It's exacerbated with a lighter tripod like the one I use (Aziak).

I had a Leupold GR 12-40x60 in both the non-HD and later the HD version. The HD was significantly better at higher power above 25X or so.

I sold the GR HD when I got the Swaro 20-60x65 HD. It was incrementally about the same jump better than the GR HD. Still use it 12 years later.

No comment on the Vortex scope.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Favored the Leupold over the Razor years ago, form factor, use, and weight.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
It's funny how little the gold ring HD gets written about. It's a fair bit bigger than the Razor, a bit heavier but optically similar however the Leupold has way better eye relief and the eye relief makes it easier to use from difficult positions

tracker12

WKR
I wanted to buy the GR so much but just hate the focus ring tightness. To be honest there scopes are the same.

They occupy similar space in the spotting scope world. Anyone with hands-on experience with these two that can offer up some thoughts/differences between them?

I think I'm most interested in "image quality" given the similar price-points, size, weight, warranty, etc.

Many thanks for your time.

Dave
Hey Dave, I noticed you have vortex spotting scope for sale..I made this account but cannot comment on that post until my account is 7 days old and 10 comments on other post. Do you have facebook or another form of communication if the scope is still available? Im interested in it.

OP
idahodave

idahodave

WKR
I traded the straight Razor spotter in the classified ad, but my hunting buddy has asked me to sell his as well. It's the angled version fwtw. I'm sure he'd let it go for the same. Holler at me if youre interested in it.

Dave