Leupold Golden Ring HD vs current optics

I’m in the market right now to upgrade my binos into the $1000 mid tier range of binos. I’ve always heard good things about the old Leupold Golden Ring HDs. I’ve found a few used pairs cheaper than I can find current models like Conquest, Monarch HGs, or Meostars. Does anyone own a pair of 10x42 GR HDs? How do they compare to current $1000 binos, especially the first and last minutes of daylight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
I hunt with a pair of 8x42 GR HDs. My hunting buds mostly use Leica Ultravid HDs and Geovids. I've spent a fair bit of time comparing our different binos over the years, and still hunt with the GRs. :)

OP
Timberline001
I hunt with a pair of 8x42 GR HDs. My hunting buds mostly use Leica Ultravid HDs and Geovids. I've spent a fair bit of time comparing our different binos over the years, and still hunt with the GRs. :)

That’s good to hear. The ultravids are my end goal for sure.

I have 2 pair of 10x42’s and a 10x32. Much prefer the GR over the conquests, but those meostars are more compact and slightly better. I also have the tract toric 10x42 and really like them. But the leups are my go-to.....

OP
Timberline001
I have 2 pair of 10x42’s and a 10x32. Much prefer the GR over the conquests, but those meostars are more compact and slightly better. I also have the tract toric 10x42 and really like them. But the leups are my go-to.....

Good to know! Thank you for a direct comparison.

I had 10x42 Gd rings for 10+ years.

The glass is damn good.
The eye cups left alot to be desired for me
And they were heavy as heck.

If I was looking in the 1k range it would be Maven

OP
Timberline001
I had 10x42 Gd rings for 10+ years.

The glass is damn good.
The eye cups left alot to be desired for me
And they were heavy as heck.

If I was looking in the 1k range it would be Maven

I compared the B1s my buddy had to another buddys conquests and trinovids and I preferred the other 2 brands at last light personally. Thats e only reason I’m not considering them.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
I had the 8x42 for several years. They were very good glass. The reason I sold them is back three or four years ago Leupold can no longer get replacement lenses. They came out in the early 2000's and coatings have advanced a lot since then.

The Maven B 1 is a more than adequate replacement, which is where I'd go if looking for a GR replacement. Actually that is where I went, no regrets and I've had the B series for several years.