leupold GR 15-30x50 or GR 12-40x60?

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a spotter guy by any means and would like to get some thought on which you might take out west once a year and do some occasional glassing in the Midwest. Could use these on the bench as well. I have a pair of Zeiss Victory SF in 10x42's, so I feel I have a good pair of binos. The spotter will be used this fall on a muley hunt and probably a few more in Wyoming. Can't decide if the weight is worth the extra pound or if the 60mm is that much of a gain over the 50mm. Thanks in advance, I'm only planning on buying one of these two spotters. Let me know your opinion if you don't mind.

I had the smaller spotter cause I figured it covered the max power I was looking for. Problem was at max power it really limits the FOV. So with that said the 30 power on the larger scope made it so much easier for me. The larger scope lets in more light so when trying to look into the shadows it seemed brighter to my eye.

locofife

FNG
I have the 12-40x60 and it’s a great scope. I don’t have any experience with the smaller scope, but I would guess that the bigger scope will be superior in every way except for weight and cost. If you have the coin, I’d go for the bigger one.

I've owned the GR 12-40x60 in both non-HD and HD versions. The HD version is a pretty dang good scope, even up a 40X. To my eyes the non-HD wasn't as good above 30X. No qualms about recommending the HD version....it was about 95% of my Swaro 20-60x65 HD, which is what replaced it. Never used the smaller Leupold but haven't heard great things about them around my circle of sheep hunting friends. Good luck!

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
Go big. I have the smaller one, and its good from the bench, and thats about it. Honestly if you have a set of 10x alpha glass, you don’t need a baby spotter.