Leupold Mark 5. 3.6-18x44 Reticles

darmento

FNG
Does anyone have experience with the Leupold Mard 5 3.6-18x44? I spent a long time on the phone with a rep from Leupold, and he recommended this scope in a FFP PR-1 MOA reticle. I had told the rep that I want to get a scope that can be used at low magnification, like 3 or 4, but also has the ability to range out for long shots as far out as 800 yards. I also told him I would like the ability to have a lots of holdover ability, since I like holding over when possible. This was the scope and reticle he recommended.

I just want to see if other people have experience with this scope, and also what reticles they have used. I want to make sure that the reticle I select can be seen at low magnification in typical hunting conditions. I am a little worried about the reticle disappearing at low magnification. If anybody has use the scope in the past and has experience with radicals, please let me know. Thanks

ChrisAU

WKR
For hunting you are going to want one of the illuminated models. Even if you don’t use the illumination, the reticles are thicker.

jjjones7

FNG
I’ve spent time behind one it’s the MRAD PR-1 I really like it because it gives you .2 unlike most mil based reticles that give you .5. It’s thick enough on the outside I don’t have much problem picking it up. Again that’s my eyes. You can take the magnification up 1x if you have a hard time picking it up. Other than a true dedicated dangerous game scope 4.5 on the low end isn’t going to be prohibitive to many hunting scenarios I can think of. I really like the floating dot

OP
D

darmento

FNG
follow up question for you…. Did you get the illuminated version? Thx

jjjones7

FNG
follow up question for you…. Did you get the illuminated version? Thx
Non-illuminated. I’ve owned a lot of illuminated scope found I never used that feature. Like was stated earlier it is a significant upcharge from leupold

I went with the Tremor 3 reticle, which was required for a scoped carbine course I took. There is a little bit of a learning curve to it, but once you get the hang of it, its a fantastic combo. Over three days of shooting I never dialed and was easily banging steeel out to 700 meters with a .223. The wind dots are something I would never to be without.