Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18X44 Review ***Updated 2/9/20***

Bunkin

FNG
I'm looking to pick up a Mk HD 5 3-18 non ill in Mils. I will be searching the used markets. Are there generations of the MkHD 5 that I should be avoiding or generations at all? Ive been doing research and it seems the "C3" designation is important for the turret design, but I'm unsure beyond that point.

AceRifles

FNG
Did you find one?
I'm looking to pick up a Mk HD 5 3-18 non ill in Mils. I will be searching the used markets. Are there generations of the MkHD 5 that I should be avoiding or generations at all? Ive been doing research and it seems the "C3" designation is important for the turret design, but I'm unsure beyond that point.

I'd love to see a tracking text for this scope that includes shooting. I've always used a standard sight in target that has a diamond in the middle and 4 on the outside. I'll zero the gun on a rifle that I know shoots well then shoot a group in the middle. Then make the 6MOA adjustment up and right shoot a 3 shot group while still aiming at the middle target (bubble level important) adjust 12 moa down, shoot another group, rinse and repeat until the all 5 diamonds have a 3 shot group put into them. I find cheap scopes might track well until they are under recoil. I've done this with a few VX5HDs that do well for a scope at a $900 price point so I assume the Mark 5 will do similar or better.
Same process I perform. It's called a "box group". And I agree, every VX5HD I own performs this trial flawlessly on recoil from 22 Creedmoor up to supressed 338 Sherman Short Mag.

In conjunction with the Mesa Precision Arms Crux Carbon Hunter rifle review, I will be testing one of Leupold Optics' latest tactical/hunting riflescopes, the Mark 5 3.6-18X44 riflescope with the First Focal Plane PR-1 MOA reticle.

***Update 2/9/20*** Complete review: Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 Review

6604fbb456e6a60b39f4e070799ccf1e.jpg

Stay tuned on this thread for updates as we go!
Matt, do you think that the 5-25 and 7-35 versions are practical for hunting with a .300 WM Bergara HMR rifle? I’m out west and can have fairly long shots but I also might have a 200-300 yard shot too. I’ve never had the need for an optic of that magnification.

Been looking at the 5-25 version. This review could make a decision easier.....
I have the 5-25 Tremor 3 non illuminated Mk5. I love the light gathering and the sharpness edge to edge. The reticle is very easy to see and wind hold intuitive. The turrets are very defined on clicks and not easy to bump off their settings. My favorite thing about this scope is the weight. It makes my Vortex Razor ashamed to make an appearance.... relegated to a heavy bench gun. The MK5 lives on my CA Ridgeline 6.5PRC.

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody here been able to compare this reticle to Leupold's reticle? I thought I read somewhere but can't find it again that the Gunwerk reticle was easier to see on low powers

Leupold Mark 5HD Riflescope 3.6-18x44 With Gunwerks RH1 MOA Reticle​