Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18X44 Review ***Updated 2/9/20***

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love to see a tracking text for this scope that includes shooting. I've always used a standard sight in target that has a diamond in the middle and 4 on the outside. I'll zero the gun on a rifle that I know shoots well then shoot a group in the middle. Then make the 6MOA adjustment up and right shoot a 3 shot group while still aiming at the middle target (bubble level important) adjust 12 moa down, shoot another group, rinse and repeat until the all 5 diamonds have a 3 shot group put into them. I find cheap scopes might track well until they are under recoil. I've done this with a few VX5HDs that do well for a scope at a $900 price point so I assume the Mark 5 will do similar or better.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update guys that I am in Oregon now shooting 7-35 Mark 5s with a group, and I am seeing 11 different scopes shooting hundreds of shots each with constant dialing and returning to zero. I will report back my observations to supplement the 3.6-18 review.

Also Buying one of these scopes soon to go on top of a Bergara Ridgeback in 300 PRC for a comp gun,will most likely go the 5-25

CGS55

FNG
I love my mark 5. Super clear glass and tracks well. I’ve taken it out to 1000+ yards. It’s an amazing compact and light scope. I’ll be testing it on Idaho and Montana backcountry hunts this fall. So far I have every bit of confidence in it.

Ran mine last weekend, sitting atop a Mk12, Shooting after the sunset, still able to hit steel out to 530. pretty impressed for the pricepoint and weight

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Went and verified my drops to 1235 sunday morning with 300 rum and the 3.5-18x44 and had no issues, has been good to me so far, will be taking it on a cow hunt this weekend

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
After shooting this scope on two rifles over the summer, I am 100% confident in the tracking. The optics are mostly excellent, especially in low light, where the Mark 5 is really great. The reliability and weight savings have me topping my rifle for my mountain goat hunt with this scope.

Here are measured weights of the Mark 5 vs. ATACR:

mark5weight.jpgNFATACRweight.jpg

Last edited:

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the awesome tracking on the MK5's
I have a 5-25 and a 3.6-18, both were perfect to 50 MOA on tall target tests.
I shot a match with the 3.6-18 and really love the .2 moa dot on small distant targets.
I will say though, the 5-25 has a more forgiving eye box, and has even better clarity than the already excellent 3.6-18.

LaHunter

WKR
Matt,
Thanks for doing the review. Very good info in this thread. I have always used SFP scopes, I don't think I've ever looked through a FFP scope. I've been running Mark 4s for the past several years, but the Mark 5 has my attention. How is the reticle on the Mark5 3.6-18 (non illuminated) on the lowest power setting in very low light against a darker background? Any difficulty in picking up the reticle and getting on target quickly? My use would be hunting and target practice, as I don't shoot competitions.
Thanks

has anyone compared the mk5 3.6-18 to the Premier Heritage Light tacitcal?

I'm looking for a mil, FFP optic, and have narrowed it down to these 2 optics.

This scope seems to carry on leupolds quality name and how it is set up really impresses me, size wise. Planning on upgrading scopes after season. I have a 22" proof barrel, winchester LA, HS precision carbon, 20moa rail... Ive been looking at the supershorts to save weight and so it doesnt look freaky if i have a sunshade on. 6.5cm, playing with the long range during the summer. What are peoples opinions on this vs the short 5-25 vudu? Keeping price, quality, reticle options, ring options, and overall company thoughts in perspective?

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt,
Thanks for doing the review. Very good info in this thread. I have always used SFP scopes, I don't think I've ever looked through a FFP scope. I've been running Mark 4s for the past several years, but the Mark 5 has my attention. How is the reticle on the Mark5 3.6-18 (non illuminated) on the lowest power setting in very low light against a darker background? Any difficulty in picking up the reticle and getting on target quickly? My use would be hunting and target practice, as I don't shoot competitions.
Thanks

The reticle gets pretty small on the lowest powers. I feel like I can make it work in just about any lighting conditions, but I would definitely be more comfortable with a SFP reticle if I was using the scope a lot on the lowest powers.

I have used the scope on the three game animals so far (actually me daughter used it on one of those...). My kills were at 487 yards and 584 yards, so I had it turned all the way up. My daughter’s was at 315 yards and I had it at 12x to help her find the target easier. It is actually a nice feature of the FFP reticle to be able to use middle powers with a properly sub tended reticle in those situations.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR

Glad I could make you "laugh". That is important to me. And I feel honored that your first post ever was an "lol" to me. Thanks.

As an "update" to my previous hilarious post, the two Mark 5's I have are doing fine. They are not a Nightforce, but they are fine so far. I've got a few hundred rounds through each dialing up and down and they are fine. "Love" is a strong word, so I will go with "Like". :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I think i am going to buy this scope for my father. I been bored so bought him a tikka compact in 308, just picked it up a wildcat composite stock for it and i want to send it out to have a break installed, barrel fluted, bolt fluted and cerakoted.

This with the firedot seems to be pretty user friendly for guy that is novice shooter/hunter and isnt going to be dialing much or at all.