Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18X44 Review ***Updated 2/9/20***

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Following. Building 6.5PRC with mike at Hell’s Canyon Armory. Will you review Leupold‘s Warranty and Customer Service? Reading conflicting experiences on both items. Thanks for doing this!

I have turned in the article for publishing already. Sorry, I didn’t have any opportunity to test the warranty or CS. I take that as a win.

Everyone I have talked to at Leupold has been pleasant and gracious throughout the Mark 5 testing process.

Let's get an update on what guys are running for rings and bases!!

Looks like Badger has a LOW offering along with TPS. I haven't seen anything other than HIGH from Leupold.

Has anyone seen either the Hawkins LW Rings or the Hybrid mounts out?

Matt- Do you think the Hybrids on a Long Action will fit the short tube? Or will a rail/rings be needed?

Trial153

WKR
A Mark 5 is a lot of scope for that setup, if dialing is off the table. The Mark 5 is light for its style of scope, but there are much lighter/less expensive options with a fire dot for those uses.

Thanks again for the advise. I Bought my dad a vx5hd in 3 x15 for the rifle I am building him for a hunt I am taking him on. By the time I finish this project this bow hunter might actually know something about rifles and scopes. Thank you again

Sadler

WKR
Let's get an update on what guys are running for rings and bases!!

Looks like Badger has a LOW offering along with TPS. I haven't seen anything other than HIGH from Leupold.

Has anyone seen either the Hawkins LW Rings or the Hybrid mounts out?

Matt- Do you think the Hybrids on a Long Action will fit the short tube? Or will a rail/rings be needed?

I was told about these the other day. A little heavy but they give you height options

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt Cashell did Leupold mention anything about eventually offering a SFP version? I finally ordered one, but my biggest holdup was an unusable reticle at low power.

I asked this question specifically while at Leupold’s facility. I was told they are evaluating that demand, but they didn’t have a specific plan for a SFP version at that time.

Shoes

FNG
Great read, thank you! Do you feel like the non illuminated reticle did or easily could have handicapped you in a hunting situation? Debating if I want to put the money into illumination or the larger 25x scope.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Great read, thank you! Do you feel like the non illuminated reticle did or easily could have handicapped you in a hunting situation? Debating if I want to put the money into illumination or the larger 25x scope.

It did not handicap me, and I wouldn’t get the illuminated version personally.

However, it would certainly help in those really low light situations where you are at the very bottom magnifications.

If you plan to use the scope a lot in those situations, a lot reticle might be a good choice.

Magnett

FNG
This testing was just preliminary mechanical adjustment testing. So far so good. I plan on doing additional adjustment testing as we go through this process.

NOTE: Please don't make any conclusions about optical performance of either riflescope using these hasty handheld digiscoping photos.

I was going to say, the ATACR seemed very clear while the Leupold seemed fuzzy.

ChrisAU

WKR
dc175835164fa712df48c75c47bad85e.jpg

I have the 3.6-18 on my 7 saum, and I absolutely love it. Glass is awesome, zero stop is the best one out there (IMO), weight is super awesome, and tracking is spot on. I’ve put 100+ rounds through it all the way from 1000+ l, down to 100 yards, dialed all day long, up to 23 was the max, and that thing never skipped a beat. Highly recommend it to everyone, especially with the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious as to what ring and height you are running?

RANGER3BN

FNG
Thanks for the write-up.

"Mechanical Performance
Besides the machine rest testing I did, I also shot the Mark 5HD on two different rifles throughout the pre-season. I found adjustment to be dead nuts and the scope returned to zero in all cases. I had absolute confidence in the scope going into the hunting season."

Unfortunately I have experienced and observed the Mark 4 line fail under hard use in training environments and personally spoken to other users who have had failures in theater with most pertaining to erectors. I understand this is not a new problem but curious if and/or how Leupold has addressed this.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately I have experienced and observed the Mark 4 line fail under hard use in training environments and personally spoken to other users who have had failures in theater with most pertaining to erectors. I understand this is not a new problem but curious if and/or how Leupold has addressed this.

This is the Mark 5HD scope. It does not have the same erector system as the Mark 4 line.

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We've been real impressed with this scope after quickly mounting it.

This is a Seekins PH1, Ultra-Light Tactical rings in Low. Mounting will be tweaked a bit, but we were seeing how it all worked when this photo was snapped.

Attachments

• 20200303_215345.jpg
    20200303_215345.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 133

Wright406

WKR
We've been real impressed with this scope after quickly mounting it.

This is a Seekins PH1, Ultra-Light Tactical rings in Low. Mounting will be tweaked a bit, but we were seeing how it all worked when this photo was snapped.
Is that a integral bubble in the rear top cap ?