Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18X44 Review ***Updated 2/9/20***

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think i am going to buy this scope for my father. I been bored so bought him a tikka compact in 308, just picked it up a wildcat composite stock for it and i want to send it out to have a break installed, barrel fluted, bolt fluted and cerakoted.

This with the firedot seems to be pretty user friendly for guy that is novice shooter/hunter and isnt going to be dialing much or at all.

A Mark 5 is a lot of scope for that setup, if dialing is off the table. The Mark 5 is light for its style of scope, but there are much lighter/less expensive options with a fire dot for those uses.

Trial153

WKR
A Mark 5 is a lot of scope for that setup, if dialing is off the table. The Mark 5 is light for its style of scope, but there are much lighter/less expensive options with a fire dot for those uses.
Appreciate the advise for sure. But what the hell, might as well do it right for him. I am not on a really strick budget.
Maybe the same scope only less magnification do you think?

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate the advise for sure. But what the hell, might as well do it right for him. I am not on a really strick budget.
Maybe the same scope only less magnification do you think?

Nah, this is the lowest Magnification Mark 5 and only comes in FFP.

Look at the VX-5HD line. The 2-10 or 3-15 would be good choices.

The Mark 5 is for cranking dials and going deep...

Trial153

WKR
Nah, this is the lowest Magnification Mark 5 and only comes in FFP.

Look at the VX-5HD line. The 2-10 or 3-15 would be good choices.

The Mark 5 is for cranking dials and going deep...

Ahh, got you. This bowhunter is out of the loop with guns and scope stuff.
VX-5HD 3-15 sounds good in a firedot

Thank you buddy

FCCDerek

FNG
I've got a Leupold VX5HD 2-10 power firedot scope with a one piece cantilever base (0MOA) I'm looking to sell. It still has the voucher for the customized dial. It's in near mint condition. Just sat on a rifle in my safe for about a year. Got taken out once. I'd let it go with the mount for $750.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
dc175835164fa712df48c75c47bad85e.jpg

I have the 3.6-18 on my 7 saum, and I absolutely love it. Glass is awesome, zero stop is the best one out there (IMO), weight is super awesome, and tracking is spot on. I’ve put 100+ rounds through it all the way from 1000+ l, down to 100 yards, dialed all day long, up to 23 was the max, and that thing never skipped a beat. Highly recommend it to everyone, especially with the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWAZ

FNG
dc175835164fa712df48c75c47bad85e.jpg

I have the 3.6-18 on my 7 saum, and I absolutely love it. Glass is awesome, zero stop is the best one out there (IMO), weight is super awesome, and tracking is spot on. I’ve put 100+ rounds through it all the way from 1000+ l, down to 100 yards, dialed all day long, up to 23 was the max, and that thing never skipped a beat. Highly recommend it to everyone, especially with the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome setup!

kinz584

FNG
In conjunction with the Mesa Precision Arms Crux Carbon Hunter rifle review:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...-carbon-hunter-rifle-build-and-review.123440/

I will be testing one of Leupold Optics' latest tactical/hunting riflescopes, the Mark 5 3.6-18X44 riflescope with the First Focal Plane PR-1 MOA reticle.

Stay tuned on this thread for updates as we go!

I was looking at that or the VX6 for my fierce 300 win mag, but have kinda been scared off since I have heard about all the keeping zero and tracking issues

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at that or the VX6 for my fierce 300 win mag, but have kinda been scared off since I have heard about all the keeping zero and tracking issues

The Mark 5 I tested had impeccable tracking on a machine rest, shooting steel, and in the field.

Last edited:

Ratpick68

FNG
Following. Building 6.5PRC with mike at Hell’s Canyon Armory. Will you review Leupold‘s Warranty and Customer Service? Reading conflicting experiences on both items. Thanks for doing this!