Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35X56

I had a VX6 but sold it and went with a NF SHV. I will never buy a Leupold again (and I used to be a big fan). I will live with the extra weight of the NF. The NF is a awesome scope.

So I bought the VX6 scope new and put the yardage custom dial on the scope. It worked OK. I then realized that a yardage dial is not the way to go for accuracy. So I sent the scope to Leupold and got the new zero locking MOA dials for elevation and windage. (costs a good bit of money). I took the scope on a Wy hunt and killed a muley (because I didn't have to adj the scope, 250yds) and missed a Antelope. I had a Leupold rangefinder and that thing was junk. I blamed the miss on the rangefinder. My cousin wanted the scope so I sold it to him because I wanted a NF. He put the scope on his custom 6.5 CM and when we put the scope on his gun we couldn't get it zeroed. It seamed like we would make the correction fire the shot and sometimes the scope would move and sometimes it didn't (this was only at 100 yards off a bench). He got frustrated so we had to quit.

I told him to send it Leupold but he hasn't done that yet.

He said he was think about just selling it and getting a NF.

I got a NF SHV and a gunwerks rangfinder and quality is not even close compared to the Leupold.
The SHV is cheaper than the VX6 and I bought the new version Gunwerks rangefinder used and have about the same money that I had in the Leupold scope and rangefinder (maybe a little more).

I run the badger ordinance medium height 1.125 and they clear with a 20 moa rail on a tikka action with a 3B bartlein countour barrel. Still enough room for 1.00 lows. I have nothing but good remarks to say about the two mark5 5-25 I have!

Cody_W

WKR
Ryan I’d love to know your thoughts on whether the eye relief for this model has been a limiting factor when shooting in awkward positions?

Looking forward to hearing what you think. I had one in my shopping cart before I saw this thread. I don't like the fact you had an issue before you could really test it.

Cody_W

WKR
I decided to pull the trigger on one of these and have been very pleased. Dialed just fine for me out to 826 yards, the glass has been very clear and stays bright around 28x well past legal light. Reticle is bigger than I’d like at full zoom for far targets, but any thinner and it would be annoying at close range.

I’ve had my first mark 5 for a couple years now. Zero issues, and I’ve been hard on it with a handful of nasty hunts. Can’t say the same about a few VX3 and Mark 4s I’ve head the pleasure of wanting to throw off a cliff. Sorry to hear about your luck Ryan

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve had my first mark 5 for a couple years now. Zero issues, and I’ve been hard on it with a handful of nasty hunts. Can’t say the same about a few VX3 and Mark 4s I’ve head the pleasure of wanting to throw off a cliff. Sorry to hear about your luck Ryan
I have had my MK5 5-25 for a couple years. Matches, hunts, switches between rifles and no problems over thousandsof rounds, dialing for most of them. I have had my MK5 3.6-18 and no problems for a year and a few hunts.

It floats my boat, and its the scope I am running with for the foreseeable future.

Its the only Leopold my more intense shooting acquaintances will own...