Leupold or Vortex rangefinder?

I've never owned a rangefinder, but have decided to get one.

I just can't justify $600 for the Leica 1000, so I am leaning towards the Vortex ranger 1000, and the leupold 1200.

From what I have read the leupold might be better quality optics and a little faster, but vortex has the warranty...

What would you choose?

Stwrt9

WKR
I was in the same boat vortex or leupold. i opted for the leupold. i really wanted to go with the vortex i just felt the leupold gave me a little better quality. i think you would be happy with both and don't make the decision based on the warranty, leupold has a pretty good one as well.

Outwest

WKR
When I bit the bullet on a quality rangefinder, I went between Luepold and Vortex as well. I looked at both a lot and honestly felt that the Leopold was probably slightly better, but I found a better deal on the Vortex and that sealed the deal.

Both are quality units that will perform very well. Both have red led readouts and angle compensation. The Leupold is a bit faster on the readouts, but not substantially as far as I saw. The icing on the cake for the Vortex was the belt clip. It wasn't a deciding factor but I can't imagine having a rangefinder without one now.

OP
B
Thanks for the input guys...

Outwest - I have never actually played with either one, but I have read complaints about the "3 button tap reading" that the Vortex has and how that slows it down. Sounds like you feel like its no big deal?

I was in the same boat... Tried both and liked the Leopold better. Vortex takes a little longer to range. May not be a huge deal for longer shots, but spot and stalk archery I need all the time I can get.

wapitibob

WKR
Leupy 1200i TBR DNA.
Leupold will fix your rangefinder regardless of what is on the little guarantee card should it have problems.

JNDEER

WKR
Went through that 2 years ago. Although Vortex is slower and cannot read past 700 yards ( I never have been able to) I figured with the warranty if/when they fixed those problems I could send it in to get fixed. They never have and from what I was told, never will (on the ranger).

Currently my problem with vortex is the +/- 3 yards. I noticed it when purchasing it, but in the store and outside the store when I tested it (BPS) it read near the same as Leupold. Come 2+ years later I am seeing that 3 yard difference especially when trying to range light brown, dark brown/grey, or black objects. I have a brown deer target and a black box. I will get a 3 yard variation with then are side by side. For an archer, that just cannot happen, PERIOD... I still have the vortex and will keep it as a backup (especially with the warranty), but I am currently looking for the rx-1000.

OP
B
Went to cabelas and played with them both, I liked the leupold better. Felt faster and more responsive and I liked how easy it was to flip between rifle calibers for the ballistic range modes.

The vortex was nice too, just felt like the leupold had the edge. I'm a proud new owner! No more using my crappy red field that couldn't range a target at the range past 150 yards without trying to range it 14 times before it would read.

Nuke Man

WKR
I have used the Vortex now for 2 years and the 3 button push still annoys the shit out of me. I was between Leupy and Vortex also and went with the Vortex solely due to price. Wishing now I would have went with the Leupy.

KHNC

WKR
Went through that 2 years ago. Although Vortex is slower and cannot read past 700 yards ( I never have been able to) I figured with the warranty if/when they fixed those problems I could send it in to get fixed. They never have and from what I was told, never will (on the ranger).

Currently my problem with vortex is the +/- 3 yards. I noticed it when purchasing it, but in the store and outside the store when I tested it (BPS) it read near the same as Leupold. Come 2+ years later I am seeing that 3 yard difference especially when trying to range light brown, dark brown/grey, or black objects. I have a brown deer target and a black box. I will get a 3 yard variation with then are side by side. For an archer, that just cannot happen, PERIOD... I still have the vortex and will keep it as a backup (especially with the warranty), but I am currently looking for the rx-1000.

Vortex now offers lifetime warranty on all products, including the rangefinder. Call them to confirm. I am a rep at cabelas for Vortex. This came in an email update to us.

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Love vortex stuff but as far as rangefinders Leupold was better, no question. I got the 1000 on sale for the same price as the vortex. I went thinking Id buy the vortex and left with the Leupy.

Bughalli

WKR
Bought both and used them on a 10 day archery hunt for elk in NM. Very similar, but the Leupold was better in all regards. I returned the Vortex. The three button push to get a range was very annoying when doing spot and stalk, especially when you wanted to range multiple objects quickly.

JNDEER

WKR
KHNC- Correct, the rangefinder is still under warranty. Talking to them (vortex) a while back they have not fixed the long delay, made adjustments to the +/- 3 yard calibration, and no one I have talked to can consistently get the rangefinder to read to 1000 yards. I had played with a few rangefinders in a few stores and found that even some would not get readings everytime. The one I have will actually get me a reading (<700yd) 90% of the time on the first try.

Tried all 3 and went with a Leica. The Leupold was great, fast and accurate. Biggest complaint I had with the Vortex was I could not get out past 600 to 650 yards. Even with a rest and great hold, just couldn't get readings. I know the long range isn't a deal breaker for everyone, I just kind of feel if they say it's for a certain distance, well it should work for that distance. The Vortex was also noticeable slower than the Leupold and Leica.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the vortex and hated it. I now also run a lecia. I ranged a coyote at 634 the vortex most times couldn't range rocks at that distance

I have played with both, and both are nice. I do like the Leupold a little better, mostly due to faster range times.

That said, I own the Vortex because I got a killer deal on it. The slower range times weren't a deal breaker for me, and I don't regret my decision.